Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd???
AnythingsPossible 09:44 AM 01-25-2011
Ok, so regulations here state that doors are to remain unlocked during business hours. Yesterday during nap time, I had a young man ring my doorbell. Not sure if he was drunk or high, but he wanted me to give him a ride home cause his mom was worried about him Anyway, it pretty much freaked me out and my door was locked the rest of the afternoon.
Would you all ignore the regulation and lock your door, or continue to follow it? Now this is the first weird thing that has ever happened in this house, but it still made me stop and think. We live in a decent neighborhood, but things can happen anywhere. What do you do with your door during the day?
laundrymom 09:50 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Ok, so regulations here state that doors are to remain unlocked during business hours. Yesterday during nap time, I had a young man ring my doorbell. Not sure if he was drunk or high, but he wanted me to give him a ride home cause his mom was worried about him Anyway, it pretty much freaked me out and my door was locked the rest of the afternoon.
Would you all ignore the regulation and lock your door, or continue to follow it? Now this is the first weird thing that has ever happened in this house, but it still made me stop and think. We live in a decent neighborhood, but things can happen anywhere. What do you do with your door during the day?
doors locked,.. period. if someone comes from state Ill just tell them I had a strange man knocking on two neighbors doors a bit ago.
littlemonkeys 09:51 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
I'm pretty sure in CA your doors are supposed to remain unlocked at all times during business hours, but I keep mine locked. Here's why, I live on a corner and there have been a few times that a suspicious looking person just walked right into my living room (thank goodness it wasn't during dc hours), but it freaked me out, so I just choose to lock my doors and I'll feel with it if and when I get a site audit.
littlemonkeys 09:51 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
doors locked,.. period. if someone comes from state Ill just tell them I had a strange man knocking on two neighbors doors a bit ago.
Great response... totally going to remember that!!! TY!
Cat Herder 09:52 AM 01-25-2011
Unless the State is going to pay my mortgage, the choice to lock my doors is mine.

Sounds like a letter to the editor/representative etc. to get that regulation changed to me...get your parents riled up with that info. "The state says I have to keep the door unlocked but now I can't keep little num-nums safe and we are scared"....

Stupidest regulation I have EVER heard of!!!!! Guns have to stay locked (not just stowed, out of sight/out of reach) away AND the doors have to stay unlocked.....bad mixture. Completely goes against my shoot 'em and drag 'em inside child predator plan
Blackcat31 09:54 AM 01-25-2011
I would want my door locked too if strange people come knocking!!! If it is in your state regs to have an unlocked door and you want to lock it...maybe cover your butt and have the dcp's sign off on the fact that you keep the door locked for safety reasons and that they are okay with you locking it. That way if licensing does say anything you atleast can offer up the fact that all your parents agree with you. Just a thought.
marniewon 10:52 AM 01-25-2011
My doors are always locked. I'm not in a bad part of town really, but a lot of rentals around here (and these rentals aren't filled with the same people for years, maybe months) and we've had the pleasure of watching a huge drug bust across the street, so my doors are locked. If it was a rule to keep them unlocked, I would still lock them! What is the reasoning behind leaving doors unlocked so just anybody could walk in and hurt someone or nab a dck??
AnythingsPossible 12:42 PM 01-25-2011
I was told the unlocked doors are for two issues, fire and parental access to their children. Most of my parents just come in when they pick up. The only ones who don't are the Dad's and they have been told they can, they just don't. Frankly I don't suppose my licensor would know if my door is locked or not as she never walks in, she knocks and waits. I know none of the parents would have an issue with it, so I may just tell them that from here on out, the daycare door will be locked. Although I do watch my health inspectors kid, i wonder if she would rat on me?? It has always made me nervous to have the door unlocked, I do have a very protective dog, but don't want to be in the position of needing protected!
nannyde 01:31 PM 01-25-2011
I would NEVER agree to leave my door unlocked. My State doesn't have that regulation but if they did I would fight it.

The day that is in force will be the day I turn MYSELF in for a locked door and take the citation and go thru the appeals process to get the regulation overturned.

My State took it upon themselves to publish searchable address with a locator with our names, addresses, and phone numbers on the internet. They did this without our permission. It is a list of women home alone with a group of children. Very unsafe.

Requring us to then leave our doors unlocked would be providing a searchable location map of women home alone with small children.

That would be worth fighting. I would give up my career and my business over it TODAY.
Cat Herder 02:31 PM 01-25-2011
Nannyde, we have the same published info, here. I HATE it and would love if some UNION would come in here to help.

I dream of a UNION.... I never expected them to cross so many lines.

Most of these off-the-cuff regulations are just annoying but this one is so UNSAFE. Truthfully, we are not allowed to have a ferret, mouse or rat as a pet (not just in the daycare area, in the entire house) but they can publish a notice telling people exactly what hours kids are here, where we are and get driving directions.
Lucy 07:11 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
....... would love if some UNION would come in here to help.

I dream of a UNION.... I never expected them to cross so many lines........
Take our union!! Most of us did not ask for it, do not want it, ask for no assistance from it, receive no communication, help, support or advice from it, yet we are automatically IN it, and they take $25 per child/per month FROM us for the state-assisted kids to help PAY our "dues" to it. I call a major b.s. there. I made several calls, and found out that unless we band together and do some major fighting at our capitol, we just have to live with it. I'm sure some lobbyist convinced them to enforce this on us in the first place. The only one benefitting from it is the UNION itself. Grrrrrr. I have 2 state-assisted kids (my ONLY state-assisted family) who only come rarely -- like maybe 6-10 days a year. However, if they come for ONE day (or more) in a particular month, the state takes $25 EACH from the $30 each that they pay me. That means I make $60 on them, but receive $10. Really??? Now I've had to charge their mother the $50, which she also pays to her regular Provider, so she ends up paying $100 a month if they come to me even ONE day in a particular month. And for what? Nothing!!
Cat Herder 03:18 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Take our union!! Most of us did not ask for it, do not want it, ask for no assistance from it, receive no communication, help, support or advice from it, yet we are automatically IN it, and they take $25 per child/per month FROM us for the state-assisted kids to help PAY our "dues" to it. I call a major b.s. there. I made several calls, and found out that unless we band together and do some major fighting at our capitol, we just have to live with it. I'm sure some lobbyist convinced them to enforce this on us in the first place. The only one benefitting from it is the UNION itself. Grrrrrr. I have 2 state-assisted kids (my ONLY state-assisted family) who only come rarely -- like maybe 6-10 days a year. However, if they come for ONE day (or more) in a particular month, the state takes $25 EACH from the $30 each that they pay me. That means I make $60 on them, but receive $10. Really??? Now I've had to charge their mother the $50, which she also pays to her regular Provider, so she ends up paying $100 a month if they come to me even ONE day in a particular month. And for what? Nothing!!
Oh, Joyce..... I had no idea. Well there goes my big hope. Dang Norma Rae lead me on.....

I really just want a voice over what I can do in my own home. Safety is a huge concern for me. The Parents should be able to decide what services they want for their own kids, they are in my home everyday and like that it is a safe/secure environment. These kids are thriving and safe.
marniewon 04:34 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Joyce, are you in MI? Because that's our "forced union" here also. I do not have any state paid, but I know a lot of providers will not even take them just because of this stupid union, that is completely worthless to everyone!
Lucy 08:30 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Joyce, are you in MI? Because that's our "forced union" here also. I do not have any state paid, but I know a lot of providers will not even take them just because of this stupid union, that is completely worthless to everyone!
No, but I've heard about yours. It is referenced when there is discussion about ours. Yes, worthless, useless, and just a way for some group to make money off of us. It gets my goat that we are FORCED to pay into an organization that we didn't choose to be a part of. Like I said, I only have these 2 siblings about 6-10 days a YEAR, but it still pisses me off!!! They are STEALING my money. Flat out... there's no other way to describe it. And in turn, I have to STEAL it back from the mother, who obviously can't afford it because she's state-assisted. It's a vicious cycle.
MarinaVanessa 08:50 AM 01-27-2011
Im in CA also and I went through Title 22 again and didn't see anything in there about locked doors (good because I keep mine locked as much as possible). They do however like us to have an "open-door" policy which I explain in my policies as "Open-door does not mean unlocked".

We had 15 burglaries in 7 days and our PD left a message on our machine telling us to keep our doors locked at all times. The burglaries were all during the daytime and they got in each time through an unlocked or open door, window or garage. A few times people were home. One of these times when a woman was home she went out her back door when she realized someone was in her home and called the PD. Her house was across the street from my daughters school and during school hours. The police locked the school down and everything but the guy had left before the PD could go in the house. Talk about SCARY.
Little People 09:05 AM 01-27-2011
I lock my doors! My parents know that I have an open door policy, but they all agree a locked door is for the saftey of all children and myself.
momatheart 09:08 AM 01-27-2011
Lock doors and install a garage code deal. Give parents that code. some can be programed for temp code change.
lvt77 09:12 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Im in CA also and I went through Title 22 again and didn't see anything in there about locked doors (good because I keep mine locked as much as possible). They do however like us to have an "open-door" policy which I explain in my policies as "Open-door does not mean unlocked".

We had 15 burglaries in 7 days and our PD left a message on our machine telling us to keep our doors locked at all times. The burglaries were all during the daytime and they got in each time through an unlocked or open door, window or garage. A few times people were home. One of these times when a woman was home she went out her back door when she realized someone was in her home and called the PD. Her house was across the street from my daughters school and during school hours. The police locked the school down and everything but the guy had left before the PD could go in the house. Talk about SCARY.
I also live in CA and I talked to SS worker about this since we also had a door locking issue. She said there is NO law in CA with inhome daycares. she said if I wanted my doors locked it was up to me and she also felt that it was a great idea.
lil angels 09:32 AM 01-27-2011
Mine are always locked except at the main drop off time when parents are coming in the morning. To many creaps and parents seem to like that.
Symphony 09:40 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would NEVER agree to leave my door unlocked. My State doesn't have that regulation but if they did I would fight it.

The day that is in force will be the day I turn MYSELF in for a locked door and take the citation and go thru the appeals process to get the regulation overturned.

My State took it upon themselves to publish searchable address with a locator with our names, addresses, and phone numbers on the internet. They did this without our permission. It is a list of women home alone with a group of children. Very unsafe.

Requring us to then leave our doors unlocked would be providing a searchable location map of women home alone with small children.

That would be worth fighting. I would give up my career and my business over it TODAY.

That is SCARY. Do you ever consider fighting even though your doors are locked?

Here the Fire Marshall requires doors to be unlocked, the state does not...well they don't specifically say it, but they require us to comply with fire, so who knows...

I keep my doors unlocked, but I live in the boonies and the combined population of the four towns I serve is 780 people. I do lock my doors at night, but that's about it.
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:36 PM 01-27-2011
Are you positive that's the regulation? We thought our state required an unlocked door and spent quite some time having different issues with it. Then I checked on this website's (daycare.com) regulations, and there's an added part to it is not in our hard copies the state gives. It explains the regulations, how to know if you're in compliance, why certain regulations are there, etc. I found the one about the door and the extra part spelled it out for us that we CAN lock our doors, we just can't use the dead bolt. then we asked our licensing advisor about it and she said the same thing I'd read on here. the owner asked another licensing lady about it one time and she had said we did have to leave it unlocked, so that's why we thought we couldn't. But apparently she didn't know what we meant when we asked, because the regulations spelled it out for us that we COULD and the other lady said we could!
nannyde 03:36 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
That is SCARY. Do you ever consider fighting even though your doors are locked?

Here the Fire Marshall requires doors to be unlocked, the state does not...well they don't specifically say it, but they require us to comply with fire, so who knows...

I keep my doors unlocked, but I live in the boonies and the combined population of the four towns I serve is 780 people. I do lock my doors at night, but that's about it.
I don't know what you mean. Fighting what?

The publication of our names, addresses, and phone numbers is already on the net. Even if they pulled it off today there are many many sites that have already copied it and are using it for their business. Once they put it on the net it can't be removed.

One good thing came of it though. I now have no reason to not specify my address in my own website. Now that the State decided to do it for me, it does make it a lot easier to talk to prospective customers about location and help folks who interview get a map online. It has cut down on the calls I used to get asking me about location.

We are not required to keep our doors unlocked. The Fire Marshall isn't involved in our home business. We have fire regs but we do not do Fire Marshall inspections.

I'm not aware of any deaths or injuries for home day cares with fires in my State.
Symphony 04:03 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't know what you mean. Fighting what?

The publication of our names, addresses, and phone numbers is already on the net. Even if they pulled it off today there are many many sites that have already copied it and are using it for their business. Once they put it on the net it can't be removed.

One good thing came of it though. I now have no reason to not specify my address in my own website. Now that the State decided to do it for me, it does make it a lot easier to talk to prospective customers about location and help folks who interview get a map online. It has cut down on the calls I used to get asking me about location.

We are not required to keep our doors unlocked. The Fire Marshall isn't involved in our home business. We have fire regs but we do not do Fire Marshall inspections.

I'm not aware of any deaths or injuries for home day cares with fires in my State.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was asking about trying to get the maps removed, but as you explained, I guess there isn't much you can do at this point. I am glad it has had some positives for you.
Tags:locked doors, security
Reply Up