Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Of Dealing With Sick Children
AllDeezBabies 09:17 AM 11-15-2012
I have been cleaning nasty noses and spraying anti-bacterial spray, using clorox wipes all day for the past three days. Majority of my parents don't even clean their little ones noses before they bring them here. I had two babies whose noses were so nasty, they could barely eat. Guess who had to be the bad guy and hold them down and do the dirty work? *raises hand and points to self*

I have used 3 bottles of hand sanitizer with my school-aged children in the past 3 days. They come in hacking and sneezing everywhere. I sent a note home with a reminder about the weather and cold/flu season and to at least bring some form of medicine to control the cough/symptoms...I got nothing.

It's not the type of symptoms that are extreme that would cause a child being sent home but these common colds are really getting on my nerves.

What do I do in this situation? I have a feeling I can take some form of action I just don't know what. I would have never thought some parents were so careless when it came to children. I won't say careless with all but for most that are here, thats what it seems. Uggghhh...
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by AllDeezBabies:
I have been cleaning nasty noses and spraying anti-bacterial spray, using clorox wipes all day for the past three days. Majority of my parents don't even clean their little ones noses before they bring them here. I had two babies whose noses were so nasty, they could barely eat. Guess who had to be the bad guy and hold them down and do the dirty work? *raises hand and points to self*

I have used 3 bottles of hand sanitizer with my school-aged children in the past 3 days. They come in hacking and sneezing everywhere. I sent a note home with a reminder about the weather and cold/flu season and to at least bring some form of medicine to control the cough/symptoms...I got nothing.

It's not the type of symptoms that are extreme that would cause a child being sent home but these common colds are really getting on my nerves.

What do I do in this situation? I have a feeling I can take some form of action I just don't know what. I would have never thought some parents were so careless when it came to children. I won't say careless with all but for most that are here, thats what it seems. Uggghhh...
Besides rest and good healthy eating/sleeping habits, there really is nothing you can do to ward off or stop a cold.

OTC medications for coughs/colds are no longer recommended for kids under 6 years of age and Tylenol and/or Advil only hinder them.

I would insist that children be well enough to participate in normal activities or stay home.
countrymom 09:42 AM 11-15-2012
this would drive me crazy. Hmmm I have a vicks thing that you plug in and you buy refills for it. Its pretty neat, doesn't get hot and you can use it as a night light. You can also adjust how strong of a vicks smell you want in the house.

http://www.filtersfast.com/P-KAZ-Vic...er-V1900-N.asp

thats the one I have. But i notice they have plug in ones too. I wonder if this would help too. How about nose suckers for the littles (gross i know but I hate when they suffer too)
AllDeezBabies 09:51 AM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Besides rest and good healthy eating/sleeping habits, there really is nothing you can do to ward off or stop a cold.

OTC medications for coughs/colds are no longer recommended for kids under 6 years of age and Tylenol and/or Advil only hinder them.

I would insist that children be well enough to participate in normal activities or stay home.
The note for OTC medicines was for my school aged children. They're all over 6.
AllDeezBabies 09:58 AM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
this would drive me crazy. Hmmm I have a vicks thing that you plug in and you buy refills for it. Its pretty neat, doesn't get hot and you can use it as a night light. You can also adjust how strong of a vicks smell you want in the house.

http://www.filtersfast.com/P-KAZ-Vic...er-V1900-N.asp

thats the one I have. But i notice they have plug in ones too. I wonder if this would help too. How about nose suckers for the littles (gross i know but I hate when they suffer too)
I have to look into this. I have a humidifier I wanted to use for my little babies. It worked well for my 21 month old and she's just fine.

At the bolded..I call them boogar snatchers. That's what I've been using to snatch the monsters out of their noses.

I literally want to explode when my school aged children come in and cough, cough cough all while not covering their mouths. I now have signs all through my home reminding them to cover their mouths.
daycarediva 11:12 AM 11-15-2012
I have the sign "Germs are not for sharing" even my littles (2) remind my bigs (oldest is 8) to STOP SHARING GERMS!

Sa kids are gross, my 2yo's have better table manners and don't have to be reminded to wash hands after potty, etc.

I have been giving ds's and dd (sa) dimetapp before school to help them not spread it around to other kids during the day (just runny noses, mild coughs) but my little guy (4) isn't old enough to take anything. We have been using the vicks outlet plug ins at night and at naptime and that seems to help some. I am still walking around with a tissue in each hand with 6 lo's though. 'Tis the season!
countrymom 11:20 AM 11-15-2012
how about putting vicks on the bottom of their feet and putting socks on. Old wives tale
jojosmommy 11:41 AM 11-15-2012
how about putting vicks on the bottom of their feet and putting socks on. Old wives tale
I think this works! Done it before bed with my own son. Seemed to help.
Breezy 12:34 PM 11-15-2012
Yup to the vicks on the feet thing! It's magic!
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I think this works! Done it before bed with my own son. Seemed to help.
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Just because I am a lable reader (thanks to DH's diabetes) it says to NOT use Vick's Vapor Rub on children under age 2.

They do make a children's Vapor Rub that does not contain menthol.

Snopes says the foot thing is not true but may people who do put it on the feet say it does so I guess if it works, do it! Anything that makes a cold seem more bearable is great!!

Also just like any other "medication" I would also make sure you have the parents permission to use it.

My own DS was super sensitive to menthol and broke out in hives from it as well as had trouble with upper respitory issues whenever we used it for him. I guess it can be an allergen to some kids.
Country Kids 01:03 PM 11-15-2012
Vicks works wonders on:

the feet-makes coughs/noses feel so much better

Foot fungus-clears it up magically

Bad smells-put some up your nose and you can't smell anything! Believe me, I had to go out on a unattended death once and used this. I couldn't believe that no smell could get through this.

Dry lips!
AllDeezBabies 02:03 PM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have the sign "Germs are not for sharing" even my littles (2) remind my bigs (oldest is 8) to STOP SHARING GERMS!

Sa kids are gross, my 2yo's have better table manners and don't have to be reminded to wash hands after potty, etc.

I have been giving ds's and dd (sa) dimetapp before school to help them not spread it around to other kids during the day (just runny noses, mild coughs) but my little guy (4) isn't old enough to take anything. We have been using the vicks outlet plug ins at night and at naptime and that seems to help some. I am still walking around with a tissue in each hand with 6 lo's though. 'Tis the season!
OMG YEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 3 year old dcb screamer even tells the big ones to cover their mouths. I just wanna quaranteen the school kids.
AllDeezBabies 02:44 PM 11-15-2012
I do have some sa kids with not so pleasant smelling feet. You guys may be on to something
daycare 03:02 PM 11-15-2012
I am very thankful that I do not have SA kids for daycare...I am coaching a fall baseball team of boys ages 12-13.................OMG they have the worst manners I have ever heard in my entire life..............

The "F" word............FART.............................UGH why is that such a trigger word at that age??

Have you taught your kids to use their cough pockets??? Cough into their elbows, having it cover most of the lower part of their face...
AllDeezBabies 03:38 PM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just because I am a lable reader (thanks to DH's diabetes) it says to NOT use Vick's Vapor Rub on children under age 2.

They do make a children's Vapor Rub that does not contain menthol.

Snopes says the foot thing is not true but may people who do put it on the feet say it does so I guess if it works, do it! Anything that makes a cold seem more bearable is great!!

Also just like any other "medication" I would also make sure you have the parents permission to use it.

My own DS was super sensitive to menthol and broke out in hives from it as well as had trouble with upper respitory issues whenever we used it for him. I guess it can be an allergen to some kids.

Yeah I wouldn't put it on any of my babies. Heck the smell knocks my socks off so I know it would do a number on the babies. I get so nervous with the little ones because they are so sensitive to anything.

And outbreaks would scare the bejezus out of me but judging from the smell of my sa kids feet, Vics might be allergic to it.
AllDeezBabies 03:40 PM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am very thankful that I do not have SA kids for daycare...I am coaching a fall baseball team of boys ages 12-13.................OMG they have the worst manners I have ever heard in my entire life..............

The "F" word............FART.............................UGH why is that such a trigger word at that age??

Have you taught your kids to use their cough pockets??? Cough into their elbows, having it cover most of the lower part of their face...
Here it's the "F" word and the "B" word..boogars. I don't know, this may be google worthy.

We have a video on how to properly cover your mouth and it entails coughing into the arm/elbow. They know how to do it when I remind them.... after they have hacked on all the toys.
Scout 06:29 PM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I am the one person that this did not work for!

Scout 06:35 PM 11-15-2012
I use those lights that have the trays on top of them to put scented wax that melts. If you use peppermint, spearmint, & scents like that it works great for easy breathing! I can olny find the scents in the fall /winter though!
lovemykidstoo 06:47 PM 11-15-2012
The runny noses are driving me up a wall. I mean, I know that the poor things can't help it. I just wish that they were old enough to know that they're dripping. It's so nasty when they turn around and that nose is dripping you know where. South of their nose ahhhhh! Then grandma picked up yesterday because they had dcb at the doctor because of it and she said that the doctor asked if he was in daycare. Of course it's the daycare's fault that he has a runny nose. I about blew a cork. I asked grandma if the doctor asked if the dcb had been at the grocery store or the gas station or a toy store. Only interested to see if he was at my house. I hate that. It is a huge pet peeve of mine tht they think my house is the only one with germs. The grandma was with me though.
countrymom 04:53 AM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
The runny noses are driving me up a wall. I mean, I know that the poor things can't help it. I just wish that they were old enough to know that they're dripping. It's so nasty when they turn around and that nose is dripping you know where. South of their nose ahhhhh! Then grandma picked up yesterday because they had dcb at the doctor because of it and she said that the doctor asked if he was in daycare. Of course it's the daycare's fault that he has a runny nose. I about blew a cork. I asked grandma if the doctor asked if the dcb had been at the grocery store or the gas station or a toy store. Only interested to see if he was at my house. I hate that. It is a huge pet peeve of mine tht they think my house is the only one with germs. The grandma was with me though.
thats what happened last week. Dcb had an ear infection and right away accused daycare. Mom told him that no one is sick (which is true) and that he had ear infections before he went to daycare. I don't understand why people blame daycare because have you seen what goes to the store or what touches the grocery cart.
Tags:sickness
Reply Up