Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Paid Vacation Time Do You Take?
Brittany 02:30 PM 12-31-2015
I would love to have 3 weeks and Federal Holidays, not sure if this is Feasible though. I would do 1.5 weeks over summer, 1 week in Dec (Christmas to New Years) and prob a Wed-Sunday in April. Federal Holidays are a given(at least for me), and then Wed-Sunday the week of thanksgiving. Should I provide back up care for some of this? I will have an assistant a few days a week, but my ratio will stay so that one person can legally handle all the children.
Blackcat31 05:23 PM 12-31-2015
Originally Posted by Brittany:
I would love to have 3 weeks and Federal Holidays, not sure if this is Feasible though. I would do 1.5 weeks over summer, 1 week in Dec (Christmas to New Years) and prob a Wed-Sunday in April. Federal Holidays are a given(at least for me), and then Wed-Sunday the week of thanksgiving. Should I provide back up care for some of this? I will have an assistant a few days a week, but my ratio will stay so that one person can legally handle all the children.
I take about 15-17 days off a year (vacations, holiday days and personal days).

I plan the days a year in advance.
Parents get a schedule for the year in January

Each family pays the same rate 52 weeks a year.
finsup 05:38 PM 12-31-2015
I take 3 weeks...2 are full weeks (typically one in June and one in August) then the 3rd is made up of Fridays or Mondays through out the year. Most during camping weather. I take the major holidays off too but not minor ones. Parents don't pay for vacations (mine or theirs) so that helps...in 2017 it will be 4 weeks (matches my husband's vacation) so we'll see how that goes! If your assistant can provide back up care thats great. I know if I had an assistant I would definitely have them cover my vacations!
BabyMonkeys 12:21 PM 01-01-2016
I take 7 paid holidays and up to 10 vacation/sick days. I schedule 6 vacation days, and take the additional 4 days as sick days if I need them. I'm sure my parents would pay me for any additional sick days if I needed them, but it is not required by contract. I'm really lucky though. All of my parents have been with me since I opened 2 years ago, and couldn't be more appreciative if they tried.
Snowmom 12:56 PM 01-01-2016
I say do whatever you need to do to be happy!
If 2 weeks, 3 weeks or an entire month is what you need to be happy and healthy, then take it.

Sure, I would offer them options for back up care, but personally, I don't take it upon myself to hire a replacement.

Here, I let them know of any providers I know who have temp spots open and we also have a drop in facility in our area ($8.00 an hour though).
Personally, I take a minimum of 2 weeks vacation and all major holidays. I usually schedule an additional 5-7 days in personal or sick days beyond that.
NillaWafers 02:19 PM 01-01-2016
Just one week (winter break) and federal holidays. I also open late on holy days since we are Catholic.
midaycare 03:08 PM 01-01-2016
I take paid: New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the Friday after, Christmas Eve, Christmas, the day after Christmas, and New Years Eve. If holidays occur on a weekend, I reserve the right to take time off around the holiday.

I can take additional time off of up to 2 weeks. So far I have been able to provide a sub. And I've only taken one week each of my 2 years.
sahm1225 03:23 PM 01-01-2016
I have 8 paid holidays and I take 2 weeks unpaid vacation. My rates are higher than most in the area so I save all little bit every month for my vacations.

I try to add a paid holiday every year or two and I would like to eventually take off every school holiday paid, but that would be in the future!
Crazy8 06:42 AM 01-02-2016
I have 7 paid vacation days in my contract - this way I can take a full week and have 2 extra days available if I need them for my kids activities, etc. I also have the major holidays off w/pay (I think there are 9 total that I take). I am currently off on Fridays though so I only took 5 paid vacation days this past year (I give my 4 day a week families 5 days as well) and I got jipped out of some of the holidays because they fell on Fridays!
Annalee 09:08 AM 01-02-2016
Originally Posted by Brittany:
I close all Federal holidays with the school system, unlimited emergency days, 3 extra days around Labor Day/July 4th/Memorial Day, Dec. 23-Jan 3, Professional days as needed,....I also listed my personal time this year but put (these are personal days to be used but are not limited to)....this way if something else comes up I need to close I will be covered. FWIW, I am so adamant about my contract, my closings usually are not an issue anymore...clients know they pay 52 weeks a year from the interview....when I need to be off, I do not want to worry about sub-care and I explain this in the interview that the state will now allow just anyone, plus this is my home.
KayB 09:25 AM 01-02-2016
We are closed the 3rd. Friday of every month and take about 5 different days off through out the year. We are closed all major holidays and the day after Thanksgiving. The day before Christmas Eve and day after Christmas. They pay no matter if they are here or not so they pay 52 weeks. We give them a calendar of the closing dates along with the new years paperwork. So they have a year to figure it out.
Annalee 09:30 AM 01-02-2016
Originally Posted by KayB:
We are closed the 3rd. Friday of every month and take about 5 different days off through out the year. We are closed all major holidays and the day after Thanksgiving. The day before Christmas Eve and day after Christmas. They pay no matter if they are here or not so they pay 52 weeks. We give them a calendar of the closing dates along with the new years paperwork. So they have a year to figure it out.
I love the 3rd Friday of each month closing...That is a good idea....maybe next year for me
KayB 12:21 PM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I love the 3rd Friday of each month closing...That is a good idea....maybe next year for me
I was scared to at first but not anymore! I love it!
Controlled Chaos 01:35 PM 01-04-2016
I haven't taken mlk off in the last, but am this year. Sending home the list of days today. Hope no one says anything
Unregistered 02:31 PM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I take about 15-17 days off a year (vacations, holiday days and personal days).

I plan the days a year in advance.
Parents get a schedule for the year in January

Each family pays the same rate 52 weeks a year.
How much vacation time do you alow parents?
Brittany 08:05 PM 01-04-2016
Thanks for all the ideas on how you do vacation. I guess i feel somewhat guilty for taking vacation time even tho I know I shouldn't. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How much vacation time do you alow parents?
As stated in my post, each parent pays the same rate 52 weeks a year.

They can take as much or as little vacation as they want but their weekly rate remains the same.
Unregistered 12:12 PM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As stated in my post, each parent pays the same rate 52 weeks a year.

They can take as much or as little vacation as they want but their weekly rate remains the same.
Ah, yes. Ty, I was feeling like I didn't give my dcp enough. I take 9 days and give my dcp 7 days.
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ah, yes. Ty, I was feeling like I didn't give my dcp enough. I take 9 days and give my dcp 7 days.
I just met with a newish provider in my area that was looking for some assistance in setting her policies for her own and her client vacations and although I am satisfied with the way I do things now (why not? I get paid 52 weeks a year) I did think she settled on a good compromise for both herself and her clients and choose to go the accrued route.

She is going to:

Anyone attending less than 3 days per week will get zero vacation days.

I really liked how that was worked out and if I had thought about it years ago, I would have implemented the same type of process.

I think it is fair to both provider and parent.
Reply Up