Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Want to Move Out of State - But Where???
CheekyChick 03:24 PM 09-26-2016
Hello,

I have been running a very successful certified in-home child care in Oregon for almost 10 years. I am licensed for 16 and I work as the Director. Of course I give bottles, wipe noses, and read stories - but my main job is to run my business, do payroll, scheduling, communicating with parents, shopping, etc.

I have lived on the West Coast my entire life and would like a change. I am thinking mid-west (not in tornado alley) or the East Coast somewhere. I have been looking up the state regulations for in-home child cares and I can't find anything similar to what I do here. It seems in most states that I would have to be more "hands on" (the main teacher). It also seems like hiring a staff isn't the norm - and if you can, they have to practically have a degree? :/

Does anyone know of a state where I could run a LARGE child care facility in my home (with a staff)?

Thanks for your help,
CC
CheekyChick 03:49 PM 09-26-2016
Ideally, I would love to have 8 infants (with 2 helpers) and 6 to 8 preschoolers (with 1 helper). Is there a state (besides Oregon) that allows this?
DaveA 05:13 AM 09-27-2016
If you're looking Midwest I would look into Missouri or Indiana. Not sure on their regs, but it should be on their licensing website. I'm from IL- love it here but wouldn't recommend it because state government is such a cluster.
Blackcat31 05:39 AM 09-27-2016
Here are licensing requirements for each state:

https://www.daycare.com/states.html

I am in MN
I run a group family care (Max 14 kids)

I keep 12 without staff/assistants

Infant care is in high demand in my state but max number of infants a provider may care for is 3. There are specialized infant/toddler licenses you can get but in order to have more than 3 infants, there must be secondary caregivers.
CheekyChick 06:31 AM 09-27-2016
Originally Posted by DaveA:
If you're looking Midwest I would look into Missouri or Indiana. Not sure on their regs, but it should be on their licensing website. I'm from IL- love it here but wouldn't recommend it because state government is such a cluster.
Thank you for your help, Dave. Are the rates good there? In Oregon (at least where I live) infants are $200 to $250 per week. Preschoolers are about $175. I am seeing many states are much less.
CheekyChick 06:33 AM 09-27-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here are licensing requirements for each state:

https://www.daycare.com/states.html

I am in MN
I run a group family care (Max 14 kids)

I keep 12 without staff/assistants

Infant care is in high demand in my state but max number of infants a provider may care for is 3. There are specialized infant/toddler licenses you can get but in order to have more than 3 infants, there must be secondary caregivers.
Thank you for the link. I am not sure that it's 100% accurate, as even Oregon's isn't correct. We have registered and certified in-home care with special exceptions (with training) for 16 children.

So there is a possibility to run an infant program - as long as you have secondary caregivers? Could you tell me what the average infant rate is in MN?
spedmommy4 07:44 AM 09-27-2016
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Thank you for the link. I am not sure that it's 100% accurate, as even Oregon's isn't correct. We have registered and certified in-home care with special exceptions (with training) for 16 children.

So there is a possibility to run an infant program - as long as you have secondary caregivers? Could you tell me what the average infant rate is in MN?
Another really important factor to consider is the cost of living. While the cost of care may be lower in other states, the cost of living is lower as well.
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 09-27-2016

I am in the northern part of the state. Infant care in my area is approximately about $150-250 per week.

Infant care in the metro areas such as the southern part of the state (Twin Cities area) is much higher but so is the cost of living.

Rules for all licenses are as follows:

http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/grou...s16_143385.pdf
daycare 09:40 AM 09-27-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am in the northern part of the state. Infant care in my area is approximately about $150-250 per week.

Infant care in the metro areas such as the southern part of the state (Twin Cities area) is much higher but so is the cost of living.

Rules for all licenses are as follows:

http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/grou...s16_143385.pdf
One would freeze if you moved where BC is...have you seen the snow pics she posts...lol

I say texas....lol I don't know why I love that state. Perhaps because everything is bigger in texas, especially compared to where I live.
MunchkinWrangler 09:45 AM 09-27-2016

Ratios are serious here although centers are able to have up to 4 infants per caregiver, while in homes are capped at 3 and you HAVE to hold a different license as your older children are capped as well.

I believe in safety first and foremost. No offense but I am so against running a "baby mill" where the babies are just a dollar sign and they are neglected and not given enough care because of the fact that the caregivers are over ratio or just have too many infants to give adequate attention.

I'm sorry but my personal feelings about your post are a little bit weary of the type of care you offer. I have seen the effects of an infant from a large center...it isn't good. Milestones aren't met and low muscle tone are a big concern with this type of care.
Reply Up