Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Outdoor Play-Dangerous?
littlemommy 11:02 AM 05-26-2011
Right now all I have for outdoor play are some ride on cars, bikes and balls. I have three 2 year olds, an 18 month old, and am starting an 8 month old soon. I thought about getting a swing set, but it almost seems dangerous since the toddlers I have may be too small for it. I could just see them walking in front of someone swinging and getting kicked over.

What do you have for outdoor play? I feel like the two year olds get bored. I was offered one of those big wooden playhouse things, but it stands 8 feet in the air, and has a slide and a swing set. I suggested to my husband that we could just build it on the ground, but he still thought it seemed dangerous.
KEG123 11:47 AM 05-26-2011
We have a little plastic slide/climber. A sand/water table. Dbf SAYS he's going to build our big covered sandbox today. We'll see. We've also got chalk, bubbles, balls. So far they don't really get bored. We're also going to get a little wading pool soon.
littlemommy 11:49 AM 05-26-2011
Ah yes, I have a small wading pool, it just hasn't been warm enough to get it out! That will be nice on the hot summer days.

Bubbles are a good idea. I'll add that to my list! Thanks!
heyhun77 12:27 PM 05-26-2011
I have an entire set of classroom materials outside for the kids (cars, people, animals, blocks, ect), a large sandbox with toys, a kitchen set by the sandbox, a playhouse, a couple of the little tykes rockers, a built-in slide hill and a fallen forest climbing area (stumps and logs dug down into the groud to balance/climb on). I also have a water table that we use throughout the day. The daycare kids also have 3 raised bed garden boxes that they tend to throughout the summer. I bring art supplies of some variety out each day on top of the supplies that are on the shelf and available at all times (crayons/markers/pencils/paper/tape/ect) and then there are chalk and bubbles available most of the time as well.

I shy away from swings because the younger kids aren't watching and end up getting hit and I shy away from big climbers because of the fall-zone requirements. I purposely installed the stumps/logs all below 18 inches so I wasn't required to have anything under them for a fall zone. I put woodchips in the areas immediately around them for my own sanity rather than keeping grass growing but also as a cushion for falls but they weren't required.
SunflowerMama 12:53 PM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
I have an entire set of classroom materials outside for the kids (cars, people, animals, blocks, ect), a large sandbox with toys, a kitchen set by the sandbox, a playhouse, a couple of the little tykes rockers, a built-in slide hill and a fallen forest climbing area (stumps and logs dug down into the groud to balance/climb on). I also have a water table that we use throughout the day. The daycare kids also have 3 raised bed garden boxes that they tend to throughout the summer. I bring art supplies of some variety out each day on top of the supplies that are on the shelf and available at all times (crayons/markers/pencils/paper/tape/ect) and then there are chalk and bubbles available most of the time as well.

I shy away from swings because the younger kids aren't watching and end up getting hit and I shy away from big climbers because of the fall-zone requirements. I purposely installed the stumps/logs all below 18 inches so I wasn't required to have anything under them for a fall zone. I put woodchips in the areas immediately around them for my own sanity rather than keeping grass growing but also as a cushion for falls but they weren't required.
Do you have any pictures of your outdoor area? Sounds great!
SunflowerMama 01:00 PM 05-26-2011
I have a climbing structure that I just had built last week and the kids LOVE it. They climb up and over it and then drape it with sheets and pretend it's a house, school, etc. We also have a raised garden bed for the kids to take care of.

I also have a teepee and stumps throughout the yard that they can sit, climb and cook on or jump off of. And then a few trikes and a sand table.

I also take things outside like heyhun...little people, cars, blocks, books, etc. and the easel and art supplies.

Here's a few pictures...

WDW 01:04 PM 05-26-2011
LOVE it! Where did you get your teepee?

In my state, we have to pay significant extra money on our d/c insurance to even have a wading pool. It stinks!!
SunflowerMama 01:05 PM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
LOVE it! Where did you get your teepee?

In my state, we have to pay significant extra money on our d/c insurance to even have a wading pool. It stinks!!
DH and I just made it . Some bamboo poles, a drop cloth and some rope .

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/backyard-tepee-666855/
AnythingsPossible 01:05 PM 05-26-2011
I love your climber you built! I can see that being turned into a variety of things! If I had that in my yard, I would have to have it surrounded by a reisilient surface though. If it is over 2 ft high, we have to have junk under and around it. I hate my states licensing rules sometimes!
SunflowerMama 01:11 PM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
I love your climber you built! I can see that being turned into a variety of things! If I had that in my yard, I would have to have it surrounded by a reisilient surface though. If it is over 2 ft high, we have to have junk under and around it. I hate my states licensing rules sometimes!
I'm licensed too and just have to have a drop-zone of 6ft all around the structure. Thankfully it doesn't say anything about the surface under it.
momofsix 01:33 PM 05-26-2011
I picked up a little tikes 8-in-1 climber last year off of CL, the kiddos love it! It's best for those under 5 I would say though.
KEG123 03:24 PM 05-26-2011
I love that little wooden climber. Directions on how to make that?!?!
SunflowerMama 03:46 PM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I love that little wooden climber. Directions on how to make that?!?!
I just found a picture of a similar structure and found someone on craigslist that could recreate it on a smaller scale. He just used all 4x4s of cedar.
cheerfuldom 10:57 AM 05-27-2011
we have the 8-in-1 and that is perfect! We also have a shorter swingset, a playhouse, a wagon, various balls, the Little Tikes rollercoaster (2 actually). I like the teepee idea.....may have to put the hubby to work this weekend!
lucky 11:48 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I would love to see some pics too!
heyhun77 01:26 PM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I need to take some now that things are not covered in snow and actually growing. If you think of it bug me in the next week. I can add some pics to my website which I should do anyway.
SandeeAR 07:38 AM 06-02-2011
Mine are all under 18 months. I have a kangaroo climber, 2 little tykes cars, a doll stroller, a couple of toddler ride on toys. A sandbox with shovels, pails, trucks etc. A large rubbermaid container with, balls, trucks, a golf ball set, (they love to carry the clubs and hold the balls). Also a bounce horse. I have a full swing set ( I got it for $50, so bought it for them to grow into). It has a baby swing on it.

I plan to buy 2 wading pools. One for use this summer for water play and the 2nd to hold for the new baby I get this fall. I will use it for the baby to play in next spring, before the pools go on sale again.
meganlavonnesmommy 10:55 AM 06-08-2011
I have 3-2 year olds. Outside favorites are my bubble machine, it runs on batteries, and blows constant bubbles. They love it, and bubble solution is cheap. Chalk, big bouncy balls, soft baseball bats and a tball set, baby stroller and dollies, ride on toys, a big wagon, water table. I also have a big inflatable cube they LOVE! It looks like its for older kids, but my 2 year olds love it.
I got it at Toys R Us,
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...FindSrc=search
daycare 11:03 AM 06-08-2011
i have an outdoor class room. We have an art section filled with paint, spray bottles, chalk, and other fun stuff to paint with.

We have a building section full of odd pieces of wood that they can build things with. It basically really large blocks of wood that they stack up.

We have a huge sandbox full of cars, people, dinos, buckets, diggers, tractors, and such.

I dont have a slide or swing set, my insurance is very strict about what i would need to have to have one and I dont have the space for that, so we go to the park across the street.

I have a bubble station with all kinds of things to create bubbles with.

water/sandtable or as i call it the mud trap ...lol

of course we have bikes and push cars...

I am trying to make a garden, but becuase my backyard is all grass and rock garden I will have to build one. Just trying to decide how to do it....lol
Tags:outdoor play
Reply Up