Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside Play with Multi-Age Group
LeslieG 11:07 AM 02-03-2014
I care for 5 kids: one 1.5 year old, two 2 year olds, one 4 year old, and one 4 month old. I don't know what to do about outside playtime. It's been bitter cold here lately (WI) so I haven't taken the kids out in quite a while.

Today, however, it finally reached 11 degrees by lunchtime, and while I would take the older kids out, I feel like I shouldn't be taking the baby out when it's this cold. I feel really guilty for keeping the older kids in just because of the baby (and worry that the parents are going to become annoyed/upset that I don't).

Should I not worry about it and just wait to take them all out until it gets warmer? I don't really think the baby should go out until it's at least 20 degrees… what do you think?

Also (if this matters), I have an exemption for my outdoor play space since I live in a town home and do not have a yard for them to play. Therefore, every time we go outside we have to go to the park, which is about a 5-7 minute walk.
Heidi 11:12 AM 02-03-2014
We haven't been out in weeks!

Mine are 7 mo-2 years, and I'm in WI, So I know where you're coming from!

Did you get that weather chart from licensing? Basically, if it's colder than about 32 degrees with any wind, your within regs to keep infants and toddlers in.

The exemption doesn't matter, although if you had a fenced yard, you could technically send the older ones (above 2) out and watch from the window. I don't do that, though. Occasionally, my 13 year old son will take the 2yo out if it's warm enough and he happens to be home, and I keep an eye out the window.
CraftyMom 11:15 AM 02-03-2014
Check out this page. There is a temperature chart. My state doesn't want us outside below 30 degrees, which it's been way lower than that for several weeks so we've been inside. We also can not go out over 90 degrees. See what your state regs are. That way you can point it out to parents. The chart below is great!

https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Annalee 11:16 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

Did you get that weather chart from licensing? Basically, if it's colder than about 32 degrees with any wind, your within regs to keep infants and toddlers in.

The exemption doesn't matter, although if you had a fenced yard, you could technically send the older ones (above 2) out and watch from the window. I don't do that, though. Occasionally, my 13 year old son will take the 2yo out if it's warm enough and he happens to be home, and I keep an eye out the window.
We have the same 32 degree rule, but licensing would hit us with a supervision violation if we let kids go outside without an adult. It is also a civil penalty which cost lots of money. An FCC lady just received a child/ratio violation and will pay $1000, yes $1000 plus be put on probation and lose her stars which affects subsidy-pay for half the children in her care....
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 02-03-2014
We just spent over an hour outside! (it made it to a whopping 15F ABOVE today!! )

My youngest is 8 months and my oldest is 4 years old.

My littlest one is used to being bundled up as it comes with the territory here.... As long as their eyes are uncovered they are good.

I think even 10 minutes of fresh air can do a child wonders. Even if you just stand on the sidewalk and hold them while they breathe it in!

It's like magic....

...especially when it's been a while since anyone has gotten any outdoor time.
LeslieG 11:19 AM 02-03-2014

No, I didn't get the chart. Thank you for the info! I feel better about it.. maybe I can get the chart on their website and post that for parents to see. Thanks!!
Play Care 11:32 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We just spent over an hour outside! (it made it to a whopping 15F ABOVE today!! )

My youngest is 8 months and my oldest is 4 years old.

My littlest one is used to being bundled up as it comes with the territory here.... As long as their eyes are uncovered they are good.

I think even 10 minutes of fresh air can do a child wonders. Even if you just stand on the sidewalk and hold them while they breathe it in!

It's like magic....

...especially when it's been a while since anyone has gotten any outdoor time.

When I've had little ones during the winter I've put them in the stroller with the cover over it. They are bundled and out of the wind and the big kids get the much needed exercise. It would not be practical to wait until a 30 degree day here - that would be weeks at a time with no outdoor activity. I typically use 15-20 degrees as my threshold.
Heidi 12:21 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
We have the same 32 degree rule, but licensing would hit us with a supervision violation if we let kids go outside without an adult. It is also a civil penalty which cost lots of money. An FCC lady just received a child/ratio violation and will pay $1000, yes $1000 plus be put on probation and lose her stars which affects subsidy-pay for half the children in her care....
Our reg here says sight OR sound, even outside. Providing they are in an area with a fence of at least 48 inches high. It's MUCH easier to do in the summer, because my huge windows overlook the yard and if I leave them open, I'm in sight AND sound.

Still, if anything happened, they'd site me for lack of supervision. But, that can happen even if you are RIGHT there and something happens. My last licensor got sited when she was a FCC. A 2 year old climbed on a chair while she AND HIS DAD were talking (dad had arrived for pick up). He fell, hit his chin on the counter, and required 2 stitches. The provider got sited for "lack of supervision".

I don't make a practice of leaving anyone under 6 in the yard alone for long periods. Occasionally, I will run in and grab something, throw lunch in the microwave, etc. In the summer, I usually have a teenager available, so I will ask them to either do it for me, or watch the kiddos for a second while I go potty or whatever.
Heidi 12:25 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:

When I've had little ones during the winter I've put them in the stroller with the cover over it. They are bundled and out of the wind and the big kids get the much needed exercise. It would not be practical to wait until a 30 degree day here - that would be weeks at a time with no outdoor activity. I typically use 15-20 degrees as my threshold.
The last time we were outside, 3 of mine were not walking yet. All 3 SCREAMED the entire time we were outside. It was awful!

As SOON as there's a break in the weather, we'll be out there, believe me! I love the outdoors. We can't even go for a walk, because we have no sidewalks and the roads are always snow, ice, or slush covered. My cart won't budge, and I can't pull 4 kids on a sled.
Play Care 02:54 PM 02-03-2014
The last time we were outside, 3 of mine were not walking yet. All 3 SCREAMED the entire time we were outside. It was awful!

As SOON as there's a break in the weather, we'll be out there, believe me! I love the outdoors. We can't even go for a walk, because we have no sidewalks and the roads are always snow, ice, or slush covered. My cart won't budge, and I can't pull 4 kids on a sled.
I'm horrible, but I would put outdoor time in the "it's good for you" "it hurts me more then it hurts you" and "you'll thank me when you are older" categories. It helps that we are not too close to my neighbors and they are usually at work
Heidi 05:10 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'm horrible, but I would put outdoor time in the "it's good for you" "it hurts me more then it hurts you" and "you'll thank me when you are older" categories. It helps that we are not too close to my neighbors and they are usually at work
I would probably do that, if it there were a day it was even 20 degrees out. Today was a high of 25 or so, but that was during nap time. By the time that was over, it was snack and pick up.

In the next few weeks, I am going to change over to one nap time (3 of the kids take 2 naps). I'll make it earlier, and then we'll have time to go out after nap, while the day is at it's warmest.
Tags:outdoor play, outside play winter, winter weather
Reply Up