Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Say Something or Not?
NiNi.R. 08:46 AM 08-30-2018
I open at 7:45. It states in my handbook that it is unacceptable for parents to arrive more that 5 minutes before their contracted arrival. I had one parent (7:45 contracted arrival) that slowly kept creeping that time up. Some days it would be 7:32, some 7:35. I sent out a policy reminder and because I knew it would only be a matter of time before the parent started creeping that time up, I set an alarm on my phone for 7:40, and keep blinds closed and everything locked up until then.

This morning alarm goes off, I turn the lights on, open the curtains, and unlock the door. See dcm sitting in my driveway. A few minutes go by and they finally come in.

DCG (3): "You locked us out the first time we tried to come in. "
Me: Sorry, doors don't open until 7:40.

Mom turns around and walks out. Did I mention it's storming this morning.

DCG is mad and won't talk to me. Other parents begin dropping off and dcg finally warms back up to me.

Me: You done being mad?
DCG: yeah but mommy isn't...she said this isn't what we pay you for!

I just don't know rather to say something or let the locked door do the talking? I'm super mad but wouldn't have known if it weren't for DCG.
amberrose3dg 09:02 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I open at 7:45. It states in my handbook that it is unacceptable for parents to arrive more that 5 minutes before their contracted arrival. I had one parent (7:45 contracted arrival) that slowly kept creeping that time up. Some days it would be 7:32, some 7:35. I sent out a policy reminder and because I knew it would only be a matter of time before the parent started creeping that time up, I set an alarm on my phone for 7:40, and keep blinds closed and everything locked up until then.

This morning alarm goes off, I turn the lights on, open the curtains, and unlock the door. See dcm sitting in my driveway. A few minutes go by and they finally come in.

DCG (3): "You locked us out the first time we tried to come in. "
Me: Sorry, doors don't open until 7:40.

Mom turns around and walks out. Did I mention it's storming this morning.

DCG is mad and won't talk to me. Other parents begin dropping off and dcg finally warms back up to me.

Me: You done being mad?
DCG: yeah but mommy isn't...she said this isn't what we pay you for!

I just don't know rather to say something or let the locked door do the talking? I'm super mad but wouldn't have known if it weren't for DCG.
How old is this kid? I would be floored if a kid said that to me. Tell her she can arrive at 745 when you open or find other care? You do not need to be treated like that.
NiNi.R. 09:16 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
How old is this kid? I would be floored if a kid said that to me. Tell her she can arrive at 745 when you open or find other care? You do not need to be treated like that.
Dcg is 3 and I'm certain only repeating what she heard this morning while waiting for me to unlock the door.
amberrose3dg 09:30 AM 08-30-2018
Dcg is 3 and I'm certain only repeating what she heard this morning while waiting for me to unlock the door.
Well of course but shame on mom for talking like that in front of her.
284878 09:33 AM 08-30-2018
Yes I think you should say or do something. I'm not sure what though. I've had family show up before their contract time and I've never had one mad at me for not answering the door. Some things that I have done have been not answer the door if it was less than 5 minutes before.
One time I answered the door and reminded them that their drop-off time was not for another 30 minutes and I would see them then. It was the boyfriend dropping off and he told me that DCM told him to drop them off at any time. They never came back and it was no loss.
Another time DCM showed up early 15 minutes knocked on the door, when I didn't come to the door, she went back to the car and called me. I kept the blinds shut and missed her first call. When she rang again I explained to her that I wasn't expecting her for 15 minutes and that I was in the bathroom getting ready when she knocked and called. She apologized and has never done it since. We also had the discussion that I charge them for the time that the child is scheduled to be there. If they wanted to come earlier they needed to pay more and the same goes for if they want to stay later.
I've heard of another provider that will leave her property go get a coffee an Egg McMuffin and pull back in minutes before she opens.
You could get one of those open closed signs and put on it what time you open.

Personally though I think you should write a new policy effective immediately you will no longer be opening the door before contracted times if you have any questions please feel free to call or text me between 5 and 7 p.m. as reminder you're contracted time is 745 a.m. Thank you for your consideration, provider

Or you can start charging it early drop-off fee, that way DCM could really pay you for your time.
Effective immediately there will be a $1 a minute charge for any early drop-off fees from the moment I open the door. Please have the money in your hand ready to give me when you come to the door. If you do not have the money with you then your child will not be able to stay until you bring it.

Whatever you choose to do make sure it's something you're willing to stick to but yes I think you need to do something.
NiNi.R. 09:45 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
Yes I think you should say or do something. I'm not sure what though. I've had family show up before their contract time and I've never had one mad at me for not answering the door. Some things that I have done have been not answer the door if it was less than 5 minutes before.
One time I answered the door and reminded them that their drop-off time was not for another 30 minutes and I would see them then. It was the boyfriend dropping off and he told me that DCM told him to drop them off at any time. They never came back and it was no loss.
Another time DCM showed up early 15 minutes knocked on the door, when I didn't come to the door, she went back to the car and called me. I kept the blinds shut and missed her first call. When she rang again I explained to her that I wasn't expecting her for 15 minutes and that I was in the bathroom getting ready when she knocked and called. She apologized and has never done it since. We also had the discussion that I charge them for the time that the child is scheduled to be there. If they wanted to come earlier they needed to pay more and the same goes for if they want to stay later.
I've heard of another provider that will leave her property go get a coffee an Egg McMuffin and pull back in minutes before she opens.
You could get one of those open closed signs and put on it what time you open.

Personally though I think you should write a new policy effective immediately you will no longer be opening the door before contracted times if you have any questions please feel free to call or text me between 5 and 7 p.m. as reminder you're contracted time is 745 a.m. Thank you for your consideration, provider

Or you can start charging it early drop-off fee, that way DCM could really pay you for your time.
Effective immediately there will be a $1 a minute charge for any early drop-off fees from the moment I open the door. Please have the money in your hand ready to give me when you come to the door. If you do not have the money with you then your child will not be able to stay until you bring it.

Whatever you choose to do make sure it's something you're willing to stick to but yes I think you need to do something.
I allow 5 mins before and 5 mins after their contracted times as a grace period per se. I'm fine with it. My daycare is an addition on the back end of my house, so I had no idea they had even arrived early until I went out to open up. I anticipated it would happen which is why I started rocking up after my husband left. So the locked door I think addresses that issue. I just don't know if I should address dcm with what dcg repeated.
boy_mom 09:58 AM 08-30-2018
I would have a hard time NOT mentioning to mom what dcg said and letting her know she actually pays me for care beginning at 745, so I will no longer be offering the 5 minute grace period...
Snowmom 10:32 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I would have a hard time NOT mentioning to mom what dcg said and letting her know she actually pays me for care beginning at 745, so I will no longer be offering the 5 minute grace period...
^
Definitely do that!
Unregistered 10:38 AM 08-30-2018
Maybe give it one week to blow over. If still an issue advertise and fill the spot. Then give notice, as it is not working out.
Ariana 10:56 AM 08-30-2018
I would let it go and laugh! I would have told the kid “mommy knows what time I open and she arrives early so now she is having a mommy tantrum because she wants to break the rules....mommy pays me to take care of you which is what I do”.

I would hope it gets back to mom
storybookending 12:02 PM 08-30-2018
I wouldn’t say anything to mom about what dcg said. I would just leave the door locked until their contracted time. My first arrival (varries which family depending on time of year) knows what time my door unlocks and they are also required to tell me if they’ll be running late as I’m getting up based on their arrival time.
Cat Herder 12:10 PM 08-30-2018
I allow 5 mins before and 5 mins after their contracted times as a grace period per se.
This is part of the problem. Too grey and wishy-washy. Her contracted time is your actual opening time, she does not get 5 minutes.

"I open at 745. No drop-off will be allowed before 745 without prior approval (parent having surgery, etc.). Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation."
Rockgirl 01:38 PM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This is part of the problem. Too grey and wishy-washy. Her contracted time is your actual opening time, she does not get 5 minutes.

"I open at 745. No drop-off will be allowed before 745 without prior approval (parent having surgery, etc.). Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation."
This exactly.

And not saying you shouldn’t have asked the child if she was still mad, but I wouldn’t have even acknowledged that. I would have just gone about my business and let it be her problem. She was only doing what her mom modeled, anyway.
NiNi.R. 02:18 PM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would let it go and laugh! I would have told the kid “mommy knows what time I open and she arrives early so now she is having a mommy tantrum because she wants to break the rules....mommy pays me to take care of you which is what I do”.

I would hope it gets back to mom
I like it!

I didn't laugh but I did say "mommy pays me to take care of you when I'm open. You guys just got here before I opened."
NiNi.R. 02:27 PM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

A policy I'll definitely be tweaking. Just wasn't sure rather to talk to dcm about what dcg repeated.
Cat Herder 02:32 PM 08-30-2018
A policy I'll definitely be tweaking. Just wasn't sure rather to talk to dcm about what dcg repeated.
I would not.

It was a private conversation *a vent* (even if in poor taste) and can be turned around on you. "Why were you grilling my kid about our conversations".

"I'll only believe the good half of what they tell me about you if you will do the same for me."
knoxmomof2 12:52 AM 09-03-2018
Oh wow! Yeah, I wouldn't say anything. Let the door lock do its job. She'll get the point. As far as the girl, I had a similar little one who just moved on to school. Sounds like something she might say and do. My response to her (after she cooled down...) would have been : "you were early. I was still brushing my teeth. If I opened the door before it was time, you would have to smell my stinky breath all day!" 😂
LysesKids 01:29 AM 09-03-2018
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
Oh wow! Yeah, I wouldn't say anything. Let the door lock do its job. She'll get the point. As far as the girl, I had a similar little one who just moved on to school. Sounds like something she might say and do. My response to her (after she cooled down...) would have been : "you were early. I was still brushing my teeth. If I opened the door before it was time, you would have to smell my stinky breath all day!" 😂
I go and have coffee with my bestie across the street until it's time to open; my first isn't expected until 8am at the moment, so door is locked until then... BTW, why are we both up this early? I have the day off lol. Maybe I need to go to Turkey Creek & use my birthday breakfast coupon today at 1st Watch in a few hrs
Tags:late arrivals
Reply Up