Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Days You Close Early
SilverSabre25 06:33 AM 12-27-2013
How do parents take it? Are they generally okay with it? Do you charge less for that day?

I have 3 days I'm looking at closing early next year (Trick or Treat, day before Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve). I'm thinking of closing at 3:30 each of those days. I've never done this before.
Unregistered 06:37 AM 12-27-2013
Those are reasonable days to close earlier. For a couple hours early, I would NOT reduce my fees. They're still taking up almost a whole day anyway.
daycarediva 06:41 AM 12-27-2013
I close early for Halloween & the day before thanksgiving. I close at 4 those days , half of my kids are picked up by 4 anyway. I do not reduce rates, I just tossed it in my handbook this year that if I am open more than 5 hours, it's a full day rate.
e.j. 06:48 AM 12-27-2013
The only day I plan to close early each year is Christmas Eve. The parents seem fine with it since most, if not all, leave their own jobs early. I do charge for the entire day and include it in my "paid holidays" section of my contract.

It doesn't happen often but if I have to close early unexpectedly for an appointment or because of my own illness, I don't charge parents for the whole day. If they've already paid me, I figure out what I owe them and deduct it from next week's tuition. I charge parents hourly, though, and my contract states that if I close the day care, I don't charge - except for paid holidays.
MBF 06:49 AM 12-27-2013
I close at 3 both Christmas eve, and New year's eve. No discount, usually only have 2 or 3 kids. Never had any complaints from parents.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 12-27-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I close early for Halloween & the day before thanksgiving. I close at 4 those days , half of my kids are picked up by 4 anyway. I do not reduce rates, I just tossed it in my handbook this year that if I am open more than 5 hours, it's a full day rate.
This has always been the rule in charging any clients on state assistance. If they are scheduled to attend 5 or more hours per day, they state pays a day rate.

I followed suit and have always considered 5 or more hours a full day and charge accordingly.
GKJNIGMN 07:25 AM 12-27-2013
I close early for trick or treating and New Year's eve. I was going to close early Christmas Eve but closed the whole day instead. When I close early it is usually at 3. There are a couple other times a year I do it as well.

I charge the full day rate. None of my parents really have an issue with it.
tthomas 10:23 AM 12-27-2013
I close early (4pm) on Christmas Eve, New Years Eve and Labor Day. Parents receive notices prior to the early dismissal date and I also have these days along with days we are closed included in my Policies and Procedures. Parents contracted rates are not affected. I inform parents that their pay is not only for the days their child is present but to also hold their slot.
Crazy8 12:12 PM 12-27-2013
I only close early for Halloween and its not till 4pm (my latest is 5pm, but most are contracted till 4:30) and I just have it listed under my "paid holidays" so they pay regular amount. I am closed completely on Xmas Eve and NYE.

If it was just a random day I needed to close early I would give them a credit towards the following week.
kitykids3 03:15 PM 12-27-2013
I've always closed early on Christmas Eve and Good Friday and Thanksgiving Eve at 3pm. Never reduced my fees or had any complaints.
daycare 03:20 PM 12-27-2013
my rule of thumb is that anything over 4.5 hours of care is considered a full day. My full day drop off time starts at 715am and then counts up from there. I don't care if you got dropped off at 1145am, the time starts when I open, not from the time the child arrives.
SilverSabre25 04:54 PM 12-27-2013
Thank you! I'm glad other parents don't question it. The early days will make it so much easier on me!
CrackerJacks 09:01 PM 12-27-2013
I have it written in my contract that I will have five 1/2 days per year in which I close at 1pm. I do not reduce fees for these days. I generally use three of these days to attend my DD school conferences and for the last day of school. The other two I use at my discretion when something comes up such as a Dr appt.
Reply Up