Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Get Involved In New DC Rule-Making?
Mom2Two 07:21 PM 10-24-2017
I learned today that every five years, our rules get an overhaul. I wasn't around five years ago (just coming up on my five year mark), but apparently it's been happening.

I've been getting emails inviting public comment, but I've kinda tuned it out, trusting that good decisions are being made without my comment.

Now after my unannounced today, I'm rethinking. It's too late for public comment, but I'm still thinking to jump in with what I can--at least I'll learn something for next time--assuming I'm still in the game in five years. Eeeek!

So does anyone else get involved in rule making? How has it gone? Do you like your admins?
AmyKidsCo 07:27 PM 10-24-2017
Anytime I'm asked to give my opinion on policy I give it. Food program changes, licensing rule updates, etc. I've been known to give my opinion when it wasn't asked for too.
Mike 07:45 PM 10-24-2017
I say jump in. Never hurts to have some input when it comes to something that involves you.
Mom2Two 07:47 PM 10-24-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Anytime I'm asked to give my opinion on policy I give it. Food program changes, licensing rule updates, etc. I've been known to give my opinion when it wasn't asked for too.

Giving opinions...yeah I can usually come up with a few of those.
Josiegirl 02:20 AM 10-25-2017
Haha nobody asks my opinion. I have plenty of them but it never seems to do any good.
When our state was changing all it's regulations over a year ago, they told everybody to email, go to the state site and give opinions, go to meetings and talk, etc. Oh we were invited to tell what we thought of their rough draft of regs. Pages upon pages worth. What got changed? Pretty much nothing except wording for clarification in the new regs.
DaveA 03:39 AM 10-25-2017
Yep. If you have the chance go for it.
Cat Herder 05:36 AM 10-25-2017
I have done it many, many times. A few of my ideas came to fruition, many were over looked.

It can also become a "be careful what you wish for" situation, though. It puts you on the radar for those with wounded egos.
midaycare 06:06 AM 10-25-2017
I have opinions In my experience, no one really wants them, they just want to collect the opinions of child care providers to say they do so. Checkmark a box and all that.
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 10-25-2017
I am a huge believer in advocating for your profession!

I belong to many organizations, committees, panels and associations.
All in different capacities but I feel all are beneficial and helpful for the profession in which I earn my living.
Mom2Two 11:47 AM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have done it many, many times. A few of my ideas came to fruition, many were over looked.

It can also become a "be careful what you wish for" situation, though. It puts you on the radar for those with wounded egos.
Oh no, sounds like a nightmare. Do you have a bad experience with this sort of thing happening?

Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have opinions In my experience, no one really wants them, they just want to collect the opinions of child care providers to say they do so. Checkmark a box and all that.
Ha, ha, cynical but I could see it happening. Our head admin also teaches classes and I think he's a great educator and 0-5 advocate. Hopefully it's not too bad!
MarinaVanessa 11:58 AM 10-25-2017
Me too!! LOL

Give it when you can. Nothing will change if you don't.

A few years ago the local child care subsidy organization was paying very little for subsidized families and it stunk. Everything was going up in price except for the amount they were paying. They also don't cover absences, late payment fees even for the copays, late/early pickup/drop off fees and all of the other fees. I think back then they were paying $25/day when the rate was $35/day flat weekly rate and they wouldn't allow us to charge the families for what the program wouldn't cover.

We complained but they didn't make many changes and raised the rate by such a small amount that it was offensive. Like literally $1 or $2 more per day. So a bunch of us opted out and quit accepting people with vouchers and boycotted the program. So many in fact that they didn't have enough providers for all of the children they had enlisted.

They eventually raised the rate and now the rate is MUCH higher than even our fair going rate. Our going rate is now $200/week and they'll cover up to $250/week and will allow us to charge them for any fees and amounts that the program won't cover. They listened but only because we as providers did something about it.

So yes! Say something!!
Cat Herder 04:10 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Oh no, sounds like a nightmare. Do you have a bad experience with this sort of thing happening?
Not too bad, but I had a few years behind me and a thicker skin at the time. If it had happened in my first few years, I probably would have been crushed and silenced.

I advocated for a broader choice of approved curriculum's than the complex and expensive ones my State pushes. Newer providers need time to learn what works for them without being overwhelmed and dissuaded. Being able to buy a less expensive, pre-packaged curriculum, with art supplies included, allows providers time and concrete resources to learn from. It allows them to see their DCK's start to engage and get excited. It helps motivate them to want to do more, learn more, plan purposely because they can better see the results for themselves. Intrinsic motivation instead of threats and judgements.

Some liked to keep it difficult as gate keeping or to puff up their own sense of self-importance. Without an approved curriculum you can' participate in QRIS. There was some push back and bad mouthing, but I did not care. The resources were never intended to be rewards for those who are already educated in ECE. They are intended to bring up the level of services of those who would not be able or interested in doing so otherwise otherwise.
Cat Herder 04:17 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
s Without an approved curriculum you can' participate in QRIS.
That should say can't.
Unregistered 06:28 PM 10-28-2017
Yes! I am very active in my state, I go to all of the meetings and visit with my senators and reps on a regular basis. If we don't get have a voice, everyone assumes providers are fine with new rules. Some of the rules are needed an make sense, others do not, so I would become an advocate for things you are passionate about.
Tags:rules
Reply Up