Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teachers
Meeko 08:20 AM 06-19-2018
I know some of you offer teachers the option of paying a higher rate during the school year, so that they can stay home over the summer and still have a place for their child in the fall.

But.....what if teacher parents say they want to pay the higher amount...which means they have paid three months in advance by the time school is over in May...only to announce that they have been offered a job in another state and will be actually be leaving at the end of May anyway. Do you then owe three months pay back to them????

I have tried several options with school teachers and have been screwed over and over to the point I really don't want teachers unless I can get a fool proof pay system down.

Any suggestions?
mommyneedsadayoff 08:35 AM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I know some of you offer teachers the option of paying a higher rate during the school year, so that they can stay home over the summer and still have a place for their child in the fall.

But.....what if teacher parents say they want to pay the higher amount...which means they have paid three months in advance by the time school is over in May...only to announce that they have been offered a job in another state and will be actually be leaving at the end of May anyway. Do you then owe three months pay back to them????

I have tried several options with school teachers and have been screwed over and over to the point I really don't want teachers unless I can get a fool proof pay system down.

Any suggestions?
I guess I see it as like any other fee to hold a spot...its non refundable. If they choose the higher amount, it is a guarantee to have a spot. If the choose not to use that spot when it comes time, that is their choice, but they incur the loss, not you, since you are not going anywhere and care is technically available. I would just add a part in your contract, if you don't have it already, that all fees paid are non-refundable.
Country Kids 08:36 AM 06-19-2018
I am changing my policies in January. My rates are going to be year round no matter what your career is and if it is a teacher and they want to hold their spot for the summer than they will need to pay.

This guarantees them a spot come fall and I'm not left scrambling for either kiddo's just for summer or taking a loss in pay.

21 years this month I have been doing this and just deciding to do this. It is a headache I want no more!
Ariana 08:37 AM 06-19-2018
The contract is for the whole year so it does not matter when they leave you are still owed the summer. It might be worth a specific entry in your contract. Her kids are not with you either way so to me it doesn’t matter if they are moving or not. This way you can also aboid teachers daycare hopping to get free summers.
amberrose3dg 09:05 AM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
The contract is for the whole year so it does not matter when they leave you are still owed the summer. It might be worth a specific entry in your contract. Her kids are not with you either way so to me it doesn’t matter if they are moving or not. This way you can also aboid teachers daycare hopping to get free summers.
YES! I have found teachers want special. I am done with teachers for the most part. They want special and do not usually want to pay for it. I would also tell them it is non-refundable.You intended to have the spot.They canceled the agreement not you.
daycarediva 09:15 AM 06-19-2018
Here is how I do teachers

I take their annual tuition rates, and divide by 10 months. They pay that, regardless of attendance. No refunds, no paying OR attending over summer, but a guaranteed space in September.

I do NOT give them the option of the lower rate.

No refunds.
gumdrops 09:43 AM 06-19-2018
Did she ask you about a refund?

I would say no refunds! They probably already know that, but figure it's worth a shot.

My last teacher family aged out last month and I am no longer taking teachers.
Blackcat31 09:48 AM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Any suggestions?
Here is how I manage teachers....

ALL rates are based on enrollment not attendance or time used.

In other words, tuition is due 52 weeks a year regardless of what profession you work in.

Teachers aren't "special" except in their own minds...
Loggers, foresters, landscapers, construction workers and a plethora of other jobs are seasonal in my area...why
teachers feel they deserve to be treated differently is beyond me.

They also get paid a full year salary whether they work a full yr or not. I offer services all year round so I require payment for any space a parent wants. Whether used or not.
Cat Herder 09:51 AM 06-19-2018
I charge the same rate 52 weeks per year. No deposit or enrollment fees. Tuition due in full on Monday, prior to attendance for the week. Tuition is not attendance based, attend from one to five days, parents choice.

*Most teachers kids only attend 2-3 days per week in summer. Some attend the full 10 hours per day, 5 days a week in summer and barely 8 hours per day during the school year. It varies per family.

If they pull out for summer to save money, I replace them with another family. I do not re-enroll. No matter the occupation.

They can deposit whatever they want in their own spending account and use my option of auto or manual online payment each week.

Less record keeping for me. No refunds, low drama. Enrolled or Withdrawn, my only two options.

I won't even do monthly billing. Too much record keeping for me.
rosieteddy 01:54 PM 06-19-2018
I charged teachers the same tuition as everyone else.The difference was I did not provide care to them on any schoolvacations or holidays they still paid the same.Even if I was open they stayed home.Also they paid for the month of June.I took two weeks non refundable tuition at start of July.They had a spot to return to and I had an easier summer as well as vacation in school year.I considered it my paid time off.Also it tormented me that they would come and go in the summer .Also I only had 2 teachers (3kids).The rest were full time.I could add a sibling in summer if needed for another family.Win win.I would not give any refund.
Snowmom 06:25 AM 06-20-2018
I offer two kinds of contracts: Full year or school year.

I never post or advertise my rates.
I only advertise that I base my rates off the actual time used with earlier pick up times being considerably less than later pick up times. This gives me the freedom to tailor rates to individual needs.

In my contract, I state there are no refunds given at any time.
I also state that I require families to keep their rate confidential as rates vary due to individual needs and will not be the same from family to family.

If I had your teacher, she'd likely choose the school year only contract (which is Sept-June). Her initial enrollment fee can be used one of two ways. Last two weeks of service or forfeited to hold the summer. Never refunded. If she chose to end the contract before June, a two week notice is required and the enrollment fee can be applied to that. No refunds.
proudmommyofthree 07:31 AM 06-21-2018
I didn’t reand over all the responses. How I manage teacher clients, I charge them half their tuition rate for all school breaks (thanksgivings, Xmas, spring, summer) potential clients that have toured and interviewed my facility that were teachers, always asked if I charged during their breaks. When I said yes, they didn’t bat an eye. Most already know they will get charged something .I explain it’s to hold their spots. I also tell them they can bring their children twice a week during breaks if they’d like. Half their tuition is about two days of care.
Tags:teachers
Reply Up