Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Jaw Dropped When I Saw This...
Chuckles 08:03 PM 03-05-2013
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=9015369

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by :
MISSOURI CITY, TX (KTRK) -- It was a long night last week for a six-year-old boy in Missouri City after his parents say he spent the night unnoticed in his day care's van.
The parents say they received the surprising call from the day care this morning. They thought their son was staying with a relative and were shocked to hear where he had actually spent the night.

"I'm calm right now because he's OK, but then, I was pretty upset," the child's father, Anthony Lennette, said.

Lennette says he's still outraged about what happened last week at his son's Missouri City day care, Southern Preparatory Academy.

"When his mom came to pick him up, they told her he wasn't there [and] he left with his aunt," Lennette said.

But Lennette says when the boy's mother called the boy's aunt the next morning, his aunt thought she was joking. He says it wasn't until the mother got a phone call the following afternoon that the family discovered the boy had been left in the van parked at a day care worker's home all night long.

"They called his mom and they told her they were sorry he was left in the van some kind of way," Lennette said.

Upset, Lennette says he went straight to the day care.

"They didn't tell me anything. One of them was saying she didn't know what was going on. The other one didn't want to tell me anything," he said.

We called Southern Preparatory Academy, but the director refused an on-camera interview. She did admit that the day care worker driving the van did make a mistake and leave the child in the van overnight and part of the next day. The director also blamed the parents for not calling about their child.

The day care owner said the van operator is no longer with her company and that the incident was reported to the state immediately.

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services says there have been no major problems at this day care since it opened two years ago, but officials did note past concerns about supervision, child-to-worker ratio and the day care directors' roll.

The state agency says, "Child care licensing is investigating whether or not the day care center followed our rules regarding transportation. One of the rules says someone has to check when children get on and off the vehicle and the staffer must do a walk through after everyone has gotten off the bus because if not, it could be a tragedy."

"Of course, I would love an apology," Lennette said.

The father says his son deserves that apology more.

"I'm just glad my son is safe right now," Lennette said. "I will deal with that later."

The boy's parents said they plan to pull their son out of Southern Preparatory Academy.

EchoMom 08:15 PM 03-05-2013
First reaction is of course OMG!

But then I'm also confused, why couldn't a 6 year old let himself out of the van? Why did the parent just accept that the aunt randomly picked up the child, I guess that must be a pretty normal occurance and not something that would make the parent confused?

How did the driver not know the child was still in the van? It's a van, not a bus, so not that big. The child must have been asleep, so did he just sleep the whole night through until morning?
Starburst 10:00 PM 03-05-2013
Ok I understand that the driver should have done a final walk through and everything but seriously, YOU ARE THE PARENTS- it is YOUR JOB to know where your child is at all times and make sure they are safe! Do you not call your relatives to check up on your kid or to see if they are okay? Do you not call them to say good night or ask them how their day was? That sounds like a sign of neglect to me.

I understand some parents work nights and odd hours but my mom always worked at nights and would call us on her breaks to make sure my brother was home by dark and to make sure that everything was okay. And she was a single parent- there were two of them and not one thought to pick up the phone and call the relative even to remind them "Hey, I need you to pick him up from daycare today"? They aren't even acknowleging any responsibility for it like "Yes, we made a mistake we should have called earlier and made sure he was there". It just seems like they are all "My kid slept in a van last night and I am not taking responsiblity for it and I am not even going to hold the person I thought was going to pick him up responsible. So I will just blame the daycare". IDK maybe that is just the OCD side of me but I don't have kids yet and I would make sure that I knew were my kids were at all times- I never assume anything when it comes to safety.

Government, TV, music, school and daycare: natures scapegoats
bunnyslippers 05:38 AM 03-06-2013
I don't even understand this story. The parents never thought to call and check on their child at the aunt's house? If she went to pick up her child and he wasn't there, then why didn't she call the aunt and at least see how her child's night was going? Then she would have discovered the child wasn't there.

Of course, the daycare is also at fault. Tremendously at fault. My heart breaks for this poor child. He is 6, and no one knows where he spent the night? What a tragedy. Another example of handing off the child so often that no one can keep track. What a shame!
snbauser 05:40 AM 03-06-2013
I can't believe that this continues to happen over and over again. First of all the van driver should have done headcount as the kids got on and off the van and then done a walk through after everyone was off. Secondly does the daycare not require children to be signed in and out? Wouldn't they have been able to see that the aunt did not sign the child out? Thirdly, as a parent if your child is not where you expect them to be, don't you follow up to verify where they are? Even if the aunt picking up is a regular occurence, if the mom went to pick up the child and he wasn't there, obviously she wasn't expecting the aunt to pick him up.
Springdaze 05:46 AM 03-06-2013
OK, yea, how did the kid not let himself out and wouldnt he have been banging on the windows if he couldnt. didnt they have a sign out sheet? no one knew that he was never there that afternoon?
Willow 07:33 AM 03-06-2013
I don't get it....

Why would the daycare even say he left with an aunt if he didn't?

Why did the parents wait until morning to confirm he was with his aunt even though there was obviously no prior arrangement for her to pick him up?

How on earth is a 6 year old left in a van? He's got to be decent size so easily seen, and I'm assuming physically capable of making noise and/or letting himself out of the vehicle? Didn't he get hungry? Need to use the bathroom? How the heck was he missed when everyone else was unloaded? And then when the worker drove home? Then the rest of the night....and the morning? Was he non-verbal and physically challenged or in a freaking coma???

Why is EVERYONE not more fired up about this? Daycare is blaming the parents and all the parents are asking for is an apology????

Someone should be in jail over this....if parents can go to jail over leaving their child in a vehicle for 5 minutes while they run into a gas station someone should be held responsible for a child being left evening, overnight and into morning.
Candy 09:01 AM 03-06-2013
I don't see how they didn't know where their kid was?
ABCDEFG 10:00 AM 03-06-2013
Weird. Many seem to be at fault here. The end of the article states that the parents "plan to pull their son out..." If they are so angry, why have't they done it yet.
MsLaura529 10:09 AM 03-06-2013
This story has left me completely baffled. There are so many things wrong and left unanswered. I just hope there is somebody in this poor boy's life who will step up the plate and actually take the time to show they care about him.
Kaddidle Care 10:24 AM 03-06-2013
Too many holes in this story to really comment. OMG!
jokalima 11:14 AM 03-06-2013
IDK

Why did they said he left with Aunt? Did the sign in/out sheet confirms this? I mean, we cannot just not see a child and assume he left with someone and inform that to a parent. Second, if the mother went to pick up son it was probably because she was not expecting for auntie to do the same, so, me being a parent, believe me, I won't just go home without calling my sister to confirm my TREASURE is OK. I just cannot believe a parent would go the rest of his day w/out actually wanting to confirm that her child is where he is supposed to be, even more when it was something I did not planned for.

Bus driver: yeap, should have done a head count and a walk through. the van was @ the drivers house so even neighbors could have notice this child inside van or not, but they could have. My 4 year old knows how to unbuckle herself and open a door, another 3 yr old that I care for knows how to do it to, and a 6 yr old don't? IDK there is something about this story that is just not right.
jenn 11:19 AM 03-06-2013
This story is so messed up. Obviously, the child should never had been left in a vehicle. BUT, why would the parent(s) wait that long to see where their child was? They didn't confirm anything with the aunt? That whole thing seems neglectful. I also don't know many 6 year olds that would just spend the night in a vehicle. A child that age can get out of a seatbelt and I would imagine could get out of a vehicle alone.
Blackcat31 12:14 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I also don't know many 6 year olds that would just spend the night in a vehicle. A child that age can get out of a seatbelt and I would imagine could get out of a vehicle alone.
(this is not directed at you specifically jenn) There have been several comments in this thread about why a 6 year old didn't just get out of the vehicle and I wanted to comment on the fact that he may not have been able to.

We have several daycare centers in my community that have vans. These vans are equipped with harnesses that are similar to dog harnesses in which they are worn like a vest and the harness is then clipped at the back of the shoulders to the seat itself. This elimnates the need for car seats or boosters as they are specifically designed for kids and are used by not only the child care centers here but on Head Start buses too.

Essentially, the child (no matter what age) can NOT get out of the seat themselves.

I have no idea if that is the case in this story but I did want to throw that info out there.

They are similar to these

Bookworm 01:58 PM 03-06-2013
There's too much info missing. Why did the parents wait overnight to check on their son? Why would the DC say he went with the aunt? The parents are too calm about what happened. There's more here I'm sure.
Bugsworthy 04:38 PM 03-06-2013
Okay, so mom talked to auntie the next morning, and found out son wasn't there.....but she didn't talk to daycare until the afternoon????
sahm1225 12:22 PM 03-10-2013
This story has so many holes in it! If someone else picked up, wouldn't you call them or go pick up your kid? Then why a delay in contacting the daycare?
Yes the daycare is at fault too but my gosh, there were plenty of signs to tell the mom that something wasn't right
Hunni Bee 04:01 PM 03-10-2013
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
There's too much info missing. Why did the parents wait overnight to check on their son? Why would the DC say he went with the aunt? The parents are too calm about what happened. There's more here I'm sure.
Yes I thought the parents seemed way too calm. If my young child had spent thr night alone in a vehicle, with no food, heat or bathroom facilities, I'd be beside myself.

But then again, I'd know exactly where my kid was before i laid my head down for the night...
Tags:parents - accusing, parents - are clueless
Reply Up