Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is This, If Anything?
Baby Beluga 08:16 AM 08-28-2019
I have a child here who turns 3 the beginning of January. I have noticed over the past few months he over extends his fingers. For example:

When washing hands, he just washes the palms of his hands. He stretches his fingers so far out that they can't be washed (this is with me assisting him)

When using a glue stick, he will hold the glue stick in his right hand, and place his left hand on the paper to keep it still. Only his palm touches the paper because he stretches his fingers with such force that they curl up.

I have googled but am obviously not using the proper terms because I can't find what I am looking for. I am trying to figure out if this is an actual issue, or if it is just this child. FWIW: this kid pretends to always be hurt (he hurts himself then blames others - this happens at DC and at home) is the king of learned helplessness and is just an all around dramatic kid.
Unregistered 08:29 AM 08-28-2019
Hypermobility, or some other variation of EDS?
Baby Beluga 08:35 AM 08-28-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hypermobility, or some other variation of EDS?
Hypermobility was my first thought too, but he doesn't show any other signs of it. If anything, with the exception of his fingers, he is otherwise a very rigid child.
Cat Herder 08:37 AM 08-28-2019
Have his parents shown any concern? I'd probably have them ask his ped at his next appointment. The 3-year-old check is a pretty thorough physical, social and emotional check.
Baby Beluga 08:43 AM 08-28-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Have his parents shown any concern? I'd probably have them ask his ped at his next appointment. The 3-year-old check is a pretty thorough physical, social and emotional check.
They have not. If it continues I will bring it up to have the pedi check it though
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 08-28-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
They have not. If it continues I will bring it up to have the pedi check it though
I would. It could be something as simple as a mild sensory quirk (super sensitive fingertips), more concerning circulatory issue (numb fingers) or something progressive.
Tags:eds, hypermobility, ortho
Reply Up