Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents W/O Car Seat?
newtodaycare22 11:41 AM 04-19-2012
I just found out one of my daycare parents hasn't had boosters/carseats in 3 months for their kids! They are 4 and 6 and way under the weight/height requirements. Apparently it started off because the car got details and they never made it back in. HORRIBLE! I want to say something but I'm hesitant of how to approach it. Any ideas? In my eyes, this is like child neglect and I feel obligated.
mema 11:42 AM 04-19-2012
What are your state laws for that age? Are they required? I know it varies state to state.
daycare 11:44 AM 04-19-2012
are you licensed?

this is what I have in my PHB:

Per licensing, the name of the person picking up your child must be over the age of 18, authorized to take the child from the facility, and have a proper car/booster seat if transporting by vehicle.
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 04-19-2012
Why not simply say "Hey Joann, I noticed you don't have car seats for your children. There are laws about this and as a mandated reporter I am suppose to report this since it is a dnager to your children. Do you need assistance in finding car seats for your children or places that will help you purchase one?"

Then try to refer her to any agency in your area that oculd possibly help her. As a mandated reporter you should be reporting this since it is the law and is dangerous but I would definitely try the sympathetic, trying to be helpful approach. Maybe she can't afford to get any?
KEG123 01:36 PM 04-19-2012
I'd report it with no questions asked. They are putting their children in danger, plain and simple.
permanentvacation 01:51 PM 04-19-2012
I have given a couple of carseats and boosters to a couple of my daycare parents and some random person that I saw driving without one. I know those daycare parents didn't have much money and I just assumed that the random person I saw driving without one couldn't afford one either. So, if you can afford to, you could go buy car seats/boosters for this particular parent and give them to the parent.

If you happen to have car seats/boosters of your own that you keep, you could let the parent borrow them each evening and bring them back each morning in case you need them while their children are in daycare. I've done that too a couple of times! However, keep in mind that the parent might not give the carseats/boosters back and you might have to buy new ones for yourself.

If it is illegal in your state for the children to ride with no carseat, after you release the children to the parents and see that they are riding with no car seat, you can call the police and report the make, model, and tag number of the car that they are driving. Your parents won't know whether it was you or some random person driving past them that reported it to the police.
KEG123 02:24 PM 04-19-2012
They HAVE carseats, they are chosing not to use them. WAY different than not being able to afford carseats.
permanentvacation 02:56 PM 04-19-2012
Oh, if they have carseats and are choosing not to use them and it's illegal in your area, then I would call the police and report their car info as soon as they pull off from daycare with the kids not in the carseats.
momofboys 03:26 PM 04-19-2012
That's terrible! I know even my own 10-year old had to use a booster until right before he turned 10 so I don't see how a 4 & 6 year old wouldn't be required to have them. I would confront the mom like Blackcat suggested.
Crazy8 03:49 PM 04-19-2012
I would not release the child - I believe there is something in my regulations about it - but honestly even if it wasn't in there I wouldn't allow the child to leave.

Now, there is a difference between recommended/safest car seat use and LAWS. For instance, I am firmly against turning an infant forward at 12 months old but all I can do is try to educate parents when they do it - I can't stop them because the law doesn't say that its illegal. Same with the booster seats - many parents use them too early but its not illegal. BUT if they tried to take their 3 year old home with NO carseat at all that IS illegal in my state and I would not allow them to do so. I do watch out the front door as they get in their cars.

Looks like you are in Maryland, trying to find info on the law looks like its 7 years/65 lbs. right??? So obviously it is illegal for these kids to not be in seats and I would tell them tomorrow that if they do not put seats in the car immediately you will be calling the authorities.
Blackcat31 05:14 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
They HAVE carseats, they are chosing not to use them. WAY different than not being able to afford carseats.
Oh, well in that case, call and report it immediately!!!

Those children need someone to be their voice since the parents seem like dim bulbs.

Sorry, but there really is no excuse for them to have them and simply be too lazy to use them.
DaisyMamma 04:37 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
are you licensed?

this is what I have in my PHB:

Per licensing, the name of the person picking up your child must be over the age of 18, authorized to take the child from the facility, and have a proper car/booster seat if transporting by vehicle.
That's a great idea! I'm going to do that and include the regulations as listed on my state's web site

I am a huge stickler about carseats! My kid is friends with a DCK and DCM has a 4 seater car. After DC one day she suggested putting her DCK in the front seat in order to transport my DD over for a playdate (because she has two kids). Um NOOOOOO! I drove my DD over to her house.

You HAVE to say something, not only is it against the law but it's dangerous. What's wrong with people!
saved4always 05:01 AM 04-20-2012
It is really sad that many parents don't see the danger of not using car seats. I can see older people like my mother who is 80 not "getting" it...she tells us "we didn't have car seats, baby sat on our laps and we just knew that we would never let the baby go if there was an accident". The good thing is that my mom keeps up on the latest and greatest in safety, etc., and would never have driven with her grandkids not in car seats.

My poor daughter is 10 now. She was in her booster seat until she was 8 years old because that is what the law says now here and I was not comfortable with her little skinny self not being as safe as she can be. NONE of her friends were in boosters up until 8 years old. Some were even sitting in the front seat way before that. I cannot remember back, but I don't think many of them were in boosters by the time they went to kindergarten. My dd knew it was not negotiable, though, and never really complained. I know I looked like the most overprotective mama out there, but too bad. I am also the mama who doesn't let her 10 year old run all around the neighborhood not knowing where she is. I have to know exactly where she is at all times.
permanentvacation 05:41 AM 04-20-2012
You HAVE to release the child to the parents! If you didn't, you would be KIDNAPPING THE CHILD!!! You can not refuse to give the child to the parents! However, you can call the police on them after you release the child to them. Or you might be able to call the police and explain the situation to them and see if they will sit down the road waiting to get the parents as soon as they pull off of from your daycare.
Ariana 06:05 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
You HAVE to release the child to the parents! If you didn't, you would be KIDNAPPING THE CHILD!!! You can not refuse to give the child to the parents! However, you can call the police on them after you release the child to them. Or you might be able to call the police and explain the situation to them and see if they will sit down the road waiting to get the parents as soon as they pull off of from your daycare.
Yes! This is how we handled it at a centre. That way they don't really know that you called since it seems like a routine stop. The police would often set up on the corner near our centre and stop parents to check seats. LOTS of tickets and fines given out
DaisyMamma 06:06 AM 04-20-2012
It's true that you have to release, but if you want to be that strict you simply give the option of: leaving the children while they go get carseats OR you will report them as soon as they leave.
renodeb 07:15 AM 04-20-2012
Ok from what I understand it sounds like they are just lazy? If they have the seats and just arent putting them back in b/c of getting there car cleaned? Good gried. I may say something on behalf of the kids.
Debbie
Zoe 07:23 AM 04-20-2012
They are knowingly putting their children in danger. I would tell them that you notice they aren't using the car seats and as a mandated reporter you are required to report them for this. Give them ONE chance, then report their lazy butts!
Heidi 08:23 AM 04-20-2012
I have given a couple of carseats and boosters to a couple of my daycare parents and some random person that I saw driving without one. I know those daycare parents didn't have much money and I just assumed that the random person I saw driving without one couldn't afford one either. So, if you can afford to, you could go buy car seats/boosters for this particular parent and give them to the parent.

If you happen to have car seats/boosters of your own that you keep, you could let the parent borrow them each evening and bring them back each morning in case you need them while their children are in daycare. I've done that too a couple of times! However, keep in mind that the parent might not give the carseats/boosters back and you might have to buy new ones for yourself.

If it is illegal in your state for the children to ride with no carseat, after you release the children to the parents and see that they are riding with no car seat, you can call the police and report the make, model, and tag number of the car that they are driving. Your parents won't know whether it was you or some random person driving past them that reported it to the police.
Not that many years ago I saw a guy driving a spanking new Town Car or Caddy, wearing a suit, with toddlers-and-tiaras girl bouncing on the front seat..... before I had a cell phone....I would be calling that in now-a-days
DCBlessings27 01:26 PM 04-20-2012
I don't let the parents leave without strapping the kids in because I don't want my daycare kids to get hurt. I had that issue yesterday. Gma had the carseat and forgot to bring it by for dcm. Dcm was all, it's ok I'll just meet up with my mom. She's close. I pulled out my extra seat and handed it to her. She thanked me and brought it back this morning. I've had to loan out the seat a couple times. Even if it's just for a couple blocks, I feel better if they use my seat instead of nothing.
Tags:car seats, parents - are clueless
Reply Up