Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constantly Screaming Baby... Do You Have Mom Come Get Baby If It Continues All Day?
DaycareProvider 04:01 PM 05-23-2012
I have this baby who is a SCREAMER. Baby pretty much screams all day long, I've expressed to the parent how it is a bit overwhelming. I don't necesarrily want to terminate, my vacation is coming up. But I was wondering if anyone ever calls the parents if the screaming persists. Parent told me that baby has an ear infection so he has been fussy but that she is still dropping him off. I'm really not looking forward to it, it has become an issue that just doesnt seem to be getting any better.

So my question is: Is that something you usually write into the contract, or is it even necessary to write something like that?

and...

Would/Do you still charge if you ask the parent does end up picking up the baby?
bice99 04:14 PM 05-23-2012
Poor baby - an ear infection is painful! I would call mom to pick up and there is no refund. They should pay extra for dropping off a baby who obviously needs to be home with a parent. And yes - it is in my handbook - illness policy section.
cheerfuldom 06:12 PM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
Poor baby - an ear infection is painful! I would call mom to pick up and there is no refund. They should pay extra for dropping off a baby who obviously needs to be home with a parent. And yes - it is in my handbook - illness policy section.
I agree with this but will add that if you send home to many times (usually 2 or more times) for a crying baby, parents are going to think you cant do your job. I am not saying that you are doing something wrong, only that the parents will think you are. If you are thinking of terming anyway, I would keep her till after your vacation and then give your notice down the road. Meanwhile, you can post where how old she is, her routine, eating habits, etc. and people should have some good tips if you want to give one last shot in solving the cry issue.
Heidi 07:27 PM 05-23-2012
If the baby has an ear infection, and normally doesn't scream all day, then he needs to be at home until recovered. This falls under "too ill to participate in daily activities"

If the baby just screams all day, every day, no matter what, you'll have to decide whether it's worth it.

Me, I can tolerate a lot for quite a while, but that would be over the limit for me. No one would be safe after a few days of that!
SunshineMama 04:58 AM 05-24-2012
I had a screaming baby for 2 weeks and decided it wasn't working. The screaming really effected the other kids, and I had a headache at the end of every day. It wasn't worth it at all to me.

I can put up with a lot, but constant illness and screaming are deal breakers.
CheekyChick 09:37 AM 05-24-2012
If this is a daily thing and it's gone on for a long time with no sign of change, I wouldn't have mom pick up baby today, I would terminate.
Unregistered 09:43 AM 05-24-2012
Thanks for the responses. I just told her up front that if he nothing helps soothe him, and all he wants his mom, than I will be calling her to come pick him up. She said she understood. I guess we will just have to see.

This is the third infant I've had, and because of this one, I will no longer accept infants anymore. They are just too much work and parents are not willing to pay a reasonable price. At least the ones I've come in contact with.
My3cents 09:44 AM 05-24-2012
Doctors note-

may be more then an ear infection. Find out what parents do at home to comfort the child.

If the child is new to you- it is going to take a while. Give it time.

How old? What kind of formula? other issues going on? Gassy? Do you swaddle, use a swing or vibrating seat? Teething?

If you can't take another minute of this fussy child by all means call the parent to pick up- depends on your tolerance level. Mine is pretty high Glutton for my own punishment
littlemissmuffet 09:57 AM 05-24-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareProvider:
I have this baby who is a SCREAMER. Baby pretty much screams all day long, I've expressed to the parent how it is a bit overwhelming. I don't necesarrily want to terminate, my vacation is coming up. But I was wondering if anyone ever calls the parents if the screaming persists. Parent told me that baby has an ear infection so he has been fussy but that she is still dropping him off. I'm really not looking forward to it, it has become an issue that just doesnt seem to be getting any better.

So my question is: Is that something you usually write into the contract, or is it even necessary to write something like that?

and...

Would/Do you still charge if you ask the parent does end up picking up the baby?
If a child is crying persistently for long periods of time and unable to participate they are sent home, no matter the reason. This is in my handbook.

I do not provide refunds for children's absents for any reason.

This child is ill with an ear infection and the illness is resulting in major disruptions. Child should be sent home until symtoms cease. If child ends up on antibiotics they need to be kep away from daycare for 24 hours from the first dose.

I give children 30 days to transition in my care. If they are still causing disruptions and crying all day after those 30 days the child is terminated.
providerandmomof4 09:32 AM 10-14-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree with this but will add that if you send home to many times (usually 2 or more times) for a crying baby, parents are going to think you cant do your job. I am not saying that you are doing something wrong, only that the parents will think you are.
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I had the same situation last week, so had to get your comments.
This is the truth..in my experience (the above post). I have it written in my sick policy that parents will be called for pickup if child cannot participate. I had a normally super happy baby that cried non-stop for three hours...I called mom for pickup. Dcm was off work the next day, so didn't bring baby. I called her to see how dcg was and dcm said, "Oh she's fine, I think she's just teething, but I understand if it was too much for you." I'm sorry but this child was sick and wouldn't let me put her down without getting hysterical. Dcm acted like I was some kind of incompetent. I don't know why parents do that!
Alice Of Legend 09:49 AM 10-14-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
If the baby has an ear infection, and normally doesn't scream all day, then he needs to be at home until recovered. This falls under "too ill to participate in daily activities"

If the baby just screams all day, every day, no matter what, you'll have to decide whether it's worth it.
I agree with this! If the poor baby isn't feeling well he/she shouldn't be at care.

However if it's just the baby's normal behavior it's totally up to you if you can deal with it or not. I have an infant that was 4 months when she started and all she did was scream... all day long! It drove me crazy some days but with mom and dad's help at home (keeping to a routine and not holding her all the time) she's finally out grown it. Of course it took 2 1/2 months before she finally adjusted! She is a different kid now, she plays and is happy and I can actually walk away from her without her screaming!

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree with this but will add that if you send home to many times (usually 2 or more times) for a crying baby, parents are going to think you cant do your job. I am not saying that you are doing something wrong, only that the parents will think you are. If you are thinking of terming anyway, I would keep her till after your vacation and then give your notice down the road. Meanwhile, you can post where how old she is, her routine, eating habits, etc. and people should have some good tips if you want to give one last shot in solving the cry issue.
This is a valid point, one of my families (not the screamer from above) came to me because their current provider repeatedly called them to pick the child up when she was upset or crying.
youretooloud 10:20 AM 10-14-2012
I don't send babies home if they cry for no reason... I just try to make it easier on the baby. If they are crying because they don't feel good I MIGHT, depending on the reason, or if we could just handle it here.
Tags:crying - all day
Reply Up