Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much to Pay a Helper?
carliegirl 06:32 AM 05-08-2010
I am looking to hire a 20 year old college student for the summer to help out with the dck (including my own 2 children) this summer, but I am not sure how much to pay her per hour.
Unregistered 11:48 AM 05-08-2010
Originally Posted by carliegirl:
I am looking to hire a 20 year old college student for the summer to help out with the dck (including my own 2 children) this summer, but I am not sure how much to pay her per hour.
Less then minimum wage (NJ - $7.25) since you are paying cash. $6 a hour. Try to keep it under $600 for the summer total. http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm
Unregistered 01:46 PM 05-08-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Less then minimum wage (NJ - $7.25) since you are paying cash. $6 a hour. Try to keep it under $600 for the summer total. http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm
Is that legal? To hire someone to help, and pay less than minimum wage? If it's not worth her time, and she can make more at a place who pays at LEAST Min wage, she would probably do that. I was 22 when I started where I am currently the assistant. If she had paid me less than min wage I wouldn't have been able to afford to work there. And at that time, I only had a few things to pay for... Before that I was working at above min wage at another child care.
Crystal 07:37 AM 05-10-2010
Definitely at least minimum wage. I get that the pp was trying to show you how to avoid paying payroll taxes, etc. but it's illegal and UNETHICAL to ask somebody to work for less than minimum wage, especially if you want a reliable, dependable, happy employee.
momofboys 08:26 AM 05-10-2010
Originally Posted by carliegirl:
I would pay above minimum wage, at least $7-8/hr. When I was working my summers while in college I worked in a factory & made well over $9/hr (& this was many years ago!!!). You have to make it worth their while. How many hours you want may play into it also. If it is only a small number of hours (maybe 15 hrs or less) I'd say you'd need to pay enough to make it worth the time. If over 15 hrs a week you MAY be able to pay a little less.
mismatchedsocks 09:33 AM 05-10-2010
If its fulltime (40 hours) then I would think just pay min wage. If it is part time, I would just do a set rate. For example if you want her from 8-12 each day that is 20 hours, then I would pay her $150 cash. Good luck.
Tags:assistant, helper
Reply Up