Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Non-Immunized Children In Day Care Facilities
saluki1974 08:40 AM 10-29-2010
I was recently notified that my child care facility was accepting a child that was not immunized for religious reasons.

I have a child that is under 1 year in this facility who is going through their immunization period, but won't have all their shots and be considered "immunized" until ~after 1 year of age.

My concern is that my infant could contract an illness that the immunizations are intended to prevent. I have spoken to 3 different pediatricians who all have recommended that I keep my infant away from risk until they are fully immunized.

I recognize the personal beliefs of others to not immunize their children for whatever reason whether I agree with it or not, in most cases the only person they are potentially putting in harms way is themselves.

What rights do I have as a parent other than removing my child from the facility until they are fully immunized? This is my 3rd child to attend this facility and frankly I don't feel that I should have to go anywhere. If someone comes in and puts my child at risk, do I not have rights for myself?

the facility has dedicated age group rooms, but it is very common for the teachers to move around and switch rooms during the day, all the children play on the same equipment and the infant room is passed by to get to all the other rooms. Most of the concerned illnesses are airborne which can be easily circulated through standard ventilation or by people as well. Another concern is that even immunized persons can transmit viruses and expose others to them.

do i have the right to know which vaccinations the child has exempted from
can i demand that the facility put in more stringent measures to lock down ventilation in the infant room and sterilize the teachers as they enter the room etc?

what liability does the facility have if my child should get seriously ill
what disclosure other than they have a child not immunized is the facility required to give?
Tags:community immunity, daycare, herd immunity, immunization waivers, non-immunized
Up