Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Refusing To Sign And Just Being Childish
daycare 11:58 AM 06-07-2011
So I have a family that gave notice for their two boys. They are upset becuase i don't have space for their baby they are about to have and they want all of their kids to stay together.

They did give a two week notice, however, there are a few things that they are being a pain over.

1. permission to adminster sun screen, wont sign it
2. they are demanding all of the information that I have collected from them through documentation, ie state forms, permission slips, immunization records and etc.
3.they have decided that they want to only pay for 2 days for their last week instead of the full 3 days that they owe for??
4. refusing to sign my termination agreement form which states that they are still to comply with rules, the final amount they owe as well as stating that any items left after 30 days will become my property. There is more listed in it, like any unpaid fees get turned over to court and etc.

they are getting ready to leave, they have the rest of this week and next week left and they are done. Should i fight this or just let it go. I am really upset about this, as I have not done anything to deserve it.

advice
Live and Learn 12:04 PM 06-07-2011
Uh....bye bye....
kidkair 12:05 PM 06-07-2011
Here's my opinion based on the information you gave:
1. Don't fight it. Keep the kids in the shade and if they burn and parents complain let them know why.
2. Make them copies. Let them know that you need to keep originals on file for taxes and licensing purposes and it's illegal for you to not have them.
3. Don't take the kids the third day if they only pay you two. Turn them away at the door.
4. Refuse to take their kids again if they don't sign because failure to sign is breaking your rules. Make sure they leave with everything today if they don't sign.
daycare 12:16 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
Here's my opinion based on the information you gave:
1. Don't fight it. Keep the kids in the shade and if they burn and parents complain let them know why.
2. Make them copies. Let them know that you need to keep originals on file for taxes and licensing purposes and it's illegal for you to not have them.
3. Don't take the kids the third day if they only pay you two. Turn them away at the door.
4. Refuse to take their kids again if they don't sign because failure to sign is breaking your rules. Make sure they leave with everything today if they don't sign.
This was my thought about not signing....term on the spot.

So I guess I have learned that I need to have that information in my contact at the start. This family started a long time ago before I had a good PHB and contract.

I always think I have everything covered and then something else happens.
I do have it in my PHB now, but they did not sign the new one as I have not handed it out yet.
WImom 12:16 PM 06-07-2011
I'd also refuse care after this week if they don't sign. For today just keep the kids in the shade. Are they paid up for this week?
daycare 12:19 PM 06-07-2011
yes they pay one week in advance....
I am wondering would you hold them responsible for paying for the third day since it is in the contract? They basically said they only want to come and pay for two days...they are leaving to go on vactaion, so the kids wont be here on thier 3rd contracted day....
squareone 12:20 PM 06-07-2011
Tell them that unless they apply the sunscreen themselves (and sign something saying that they have done so), their child will be required to sit next to you in the shade while the other children play freely.

2. they are demanding all of the information that I have collected from them through documentation, ie state forms, permission slips, immunization records and etc.
They probably want a copy of their records for their next provider. Tell them that you will be happy to provide this service for an administrative fee of $25 and it will take 3-4 weeks to process this request.

3.they have decided that they want to only pay for 2 days for their last week instead of the full 3 days that they owe for??
See answer to #2 above. The administrative fee should include the cost of the day they are trying to skip on. So if your day rate is $25 then the admin fee should be $35 so.

4. refusing to sign my termination agreement form which states that they are still to comply with rules, the final amount they owe as well as stating that any items left after 30 days will become my property. There is more listed in it, like any unpaid fees get turned over to court and etc.
Make a note on the termination agreement that says PARENT REFUSED TO SIGN and then date it. Make a photocopy and physically hand it to mom. This is all you can really do. If/when you go to court, just tell the judge that they refused to sign. Hopefully your termination agreement is just reiterating what is already in your contract. If not, then you should make the termination details part of the actual contract and do away with the termination agreement.

they are getting ready to leave, they have the rest of this week and next week left and they are done. Should i fight this or just let it go. I am really upset about this, as I have not done anything to deserve it.
Fight it. I am not saying that you should go to court over one day's pay, but you should definitely NOT make ANY concessions for the parents during the remainder of their stay. They are being difficult and like you said - you don't deserve this. JMHO.
daycare 12:58 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
Tell them that unless they apply the sunscreen themselves (and sign something saying that they have done so), their child will be required to sit next to you in the shade while the other children play freely.

They probably want a copy of their records for their next provider. Tell them that you will be happy to provide this service for an administrative fee of $25 and it will take 3-4 weeks to process this request.

See answer to #2 above. The administrative fee should include the cost of the day they are trying to skip on. So if your day rate is $25 then the admin fee should be $35 so.

Make a note on the termination agreement that says PARENT REFUSED TO SIGN and then date it. Make a photocopy and physically hand it to mom. This is all you can really do. If/when you go to court, just tell the judge that they refused to sign. Hopefully your termination agreement is just reiterating what is already in your contract. If not, then you should make the termination details part of the actual contract and do away with the termination agreement.

Fight it. I am not saying that you should go to court over one day's pay, but you should definitely NOT make ANY concessions for the parents during the remainder of their stay. They are being difficult and like you said - you don't deserve this. JMHO.
brilliant.......thank you for this response.
I have started to draft a letter of termination and will make sure to fill it out that the parents refused to sign it. I will also document anything that has happened as well.

thanks so much for your help...
Live and Learn 12:59 PM 06-07-2011
excellent advise!
tell them that unless they apply the sunscreen themselves (and sign something saying that they have done so), their child will be required to sit next to you in the shade while the other children play freely.

2. they are demanding all of the information that i have collected from them through documentation, ie state forms, permission slips, immunization records and etc.
they probably want a copy of their records for their next provider. Tell them that you will be happy to provide this service for an administrative fee of $25 and it will take 3-4 weeks to process this request.

see answer to #2 above. The administrative fee should include the cost of the day they are trying to skip on. So if your day rate is $25 then the admin fee should be $35 so.

make a note on the termination agreement that says parent refused to sign and then date it. Make a photocopy and physically hand it to mom. This is all you can really do. If/when you go to court, just tell the judge that they refused to sign. Hopefully your termination agreement is just reiterating what is already in your contract. If not, then you should make the termination details part of the actual contract and do away with the termination agreement.

they are getting ready to leave, they have the rest of this week and next week left and they are done. Should i fight this or just let it go. I am really upset about this, as i have not done anything to deserve it.
fight it. I am not saying that you should go to court over one day's pay, but you should definitely not make any concessions for the parents during the remainder of their stay. They are being difficult and like you said - you don't deserve this. Jmho.

Cat Herder 01:26 PM 06-07-2011
Ugh....

THIS is why I hate to drag out terminations.

I, personally, would give them a copy of their files (I am required to keep originals for 2 years; State Regs.).

I would then have all their stuff packed today. (Well, I would not have accepted the kids into care without the signed paperwork to begin with but you already know that since I have told you once or twice ).

By refusing to sign to contract, they gave immediate notice. I'd call it a day at the point to be free of the hassle. Then again, that is my style. I like simple and uncomplicated.
wdmmom 01:29 PM 06-07-2011

Great advise!

Give them a copy of everything on their last day of care THIS week and tell them that you have accepted their termination however, you have moved the last day to _____.

If they have any questions, just hand them the letter and tell them that they are in breach of the rules and regulations set forth in the PHB.

DONE! Buh bye!
PitterPatter 01:38 PM 06-07-2011

There u go I couldn't have said anything better!
grandmom 02:26 PM 06-07-2011
As for copying what's in their file, I like the idea of charging and taking a while to do it. I wouldn't give them anything that isn't in the state regs as required to be in the file.

For example, they made a birthday card for you saying what a great provider, etc., no copy of that. Because that wouldn't *be in their file* at least till they left.

I would let the last day go. You will spend way more effort than it's worth.
daycare 02:30 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
As for copying what's in their file, I like the idea of charging and taking a while to do it. I wouldn't give them anything that isn't in the state regs as required to be in the file.

For example, they made a birthday card for you saying what a great provider, etc., no copy of that. Because that wouldn't *be in their file* at least till they left.

I would let the last day go. You will spend way more effort than it's worth.
I decided the same thing. I am not going to fight over a $100.00. they want to leave, leave. I am sad that it has turned out to this , however, I believe that everything happens for a reason.

Thanks for giving the advice. I think sometimes I already know what i need to do, but just want a second thought on it before acting. Love this website for that!!!
Hunni Bee 05:44 PM 06-07-2011
We don't release anything from their files. It all becomes property of the daycare once they give it to us. Any notes they've written to you, any you've written to them, permission slips...it all belongs to you.

Like another poster said, they probably want copies of the children's physicals and immunization records so they don't have gather that stuff up again for the next provider. Oh well.

On the off chance you've let their records lapse in being updated, something's not signed, etc...they could use it against you.
SandeeAR 12:34 PM 06-07-2011
Personally, if they were treating me that way, their last paid day of this week, I would hand them their supplies and the note stating they would not sign a termination form. I would tell them, sorry your spot is filled for next week.

I have "provider may terminate at will" in my contract.
Tags:disrespectful parents, rules, short timers syndrome, termination notice, two week notice
Reply Up