Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Animals in Your Daycare?
PositvityRuLes 10:26 AM 01-11-2010
I am in the process of purchasing a home and starting a daycare. My question to you guys is do you have pets- dog's, cat's etc. in your daycare homes? Are you allowed? If so, has anyone had problems between pets & children? Thanx in advance.
Pammie 10:35 AM 01-11-2010
I have a dog and two cats...all three okay with licensing and my daycare liability insurance. We got all three as shelter rescues when they were just babies, so they "grew-up" with the daycare kids around, and are used to all the little hands touching and grabbing. One of our cats spends the day hiding from the kids, while the other one follows us around from room-to-room...and our dog is amazing at alerting me if anyone comes close to our fence while we're outside playing:-)My daycare parents like the fact that I do have pets, so even the kids with no pets at home, get the experience of learning how to be around animals. I know that licensing varies from state-to-state and insurance regulations vary too...best check with those to be certain you're within their guidelines:-)
Hugs
Pammie
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:37 AM 01-11-2010
I have my dog. He has his shots and is well behaved. If parents dont like it they can leave. He is family.
momma2girls 10:49 AM 01-11-2010
I love all pets, but I wouldn't have one in my house now. We just bought a brand new home!
There are many parents who ask if you have any pets, some will not allow their child to be brought into a daycare with animals!! I have had that same question many times at interviews, from parents who do not want their children around pets at all. I agree if a parent doesn't want their children around pets, then they will have to search for one without any pets.
I am actually kind of allergic to long cat and dog hair as well now, I never used to be at all!!
Crystal 11:07 AM 01-11-2010
I have: a dog, a rabbit, a turtle, a tree frog, salamanders and toads. They are all used for educational purposes, except for the family dog!
Unregistered 11:16 AM 01-11-2010
Having pets in my state is legal to, they are suppose to be clean and up to date on shots. If they are not friendly then they are not allowed near the children which is a no brainer. I'm with the others, he is family and great with the kids, if someone has a problem with him then they don't need to sign my contract, but we've only had our dog for 2 1/2 years and no one has yet had a problem.
GretasLittleFriends 11:16 AM 01-11-2010
When I have people interview and ask, I reply we have 2 1/2 dogs and 1/2 cat. This of course gets a chuckle with a few raised eyebrows. I then explain:

We have 1 (outside only) dog who is a Collie. He's got very long hair, sheds a little, but is strictly an outside dog. If it's dangerously cold he'll spend the night in the garage, but so far this year that hasn't been necessary.

We have 1 (inside) dog who is a Mini-Schnauzer. She does NOT shed at all, and is great with the kids.

We have 1/2 (inside) dog who is also a Mini-Schnauzer. She is my husband's dog and is only home when he is. She spends the majority of the time in the co-driver seat of his semi-truck. She's his alarm system for the truck. Sounds funny, but trust me, if you saw that dog in action you wouldn't doubt me. When she's home she's great with the kids also. She's here 1-2 weeks a month, depending on the month.

We have 1/2 cat. Really she looks more like a raccoon than a cat. She has a name, but we typically call her "basement kitty". She has taken up residency in the basement. She HATES our two dogs. Our basement is off limits to daycare children (unless we're practicing for storm drills) due to lack of egress. They have heard her and seen her. Every once in a while I'll lock the one dog up and bring her upstairs. She sheds tons, so really I don't mind her staying downstairs. Less hair mess for me to clean up. So since the kids rarely see her we consider that a half cat.

As for allergens, we have a friend who is severely allergic to cats, yet with her (the cat) staying downstairs he can come over and is not at all affected by her presence. The schnauzers have hair with hair follicles, not fur, so therefore they don't have pet dander. It's like people hair all over their body. Some other dogs are like this too, like poodles (and I'm not sure which other types).

As far as licensing goes I am required to keep my pets healthy and all of their shots up to date. This is done anyway, but they do check our records. I'm not sure if my county has any limit to the breed of dog, but I know our home-owner policy does.

Other pets - I'm not sure about reptiles, but birds would need to undergo certain testing to ensure they don't carry some disease. I don't think most fish area problem either, of course if I had a piranha tank that might raise some questions/concerns. I'm also not sure about small animals/rodents (hamsters, gerbils, etc).
gbcc 12:33 PM 01-11-2010
We have 2 dogs and 2 guinea pigs. I have had some parents not choose me due to the dog issue but that is their loss. My dck love my animals and they become part of our extended family. Some have requested during the interview that they be kept locked up but I simply tell them not at all times. I use my judgement for safety and if the kids are running around and the dogs get excited yes, they get locked up. If we are doing circle time, eating, playing outside ect. the dogs are with us. Most except this answer but others choose to look elsewhere. The scary part is not the dogs with the children, it is the children and teaching them to respect the dogs!
tymaboy 01:35 PM 01-11-2010
I have 1 dog & 3 cats. I must show proof of vaccines & daycares in my area are not allowed to have exotic pets.
PositvityRuLes 08:11 PM 01-11-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I have a dog and two cats...all three okay with licensing and my daycare liability insurance. We got all three as shelter rescues when they were just babies, so they "grew-up" with the daycare kids around, and are used to all the little hands touching and grabbing. One of our cats spends the day hiding from the kids, while the other one follows us around from room-to-room...and our dog is amazing at alerting me if anyone comes close to our fence while we're outside playing:-)My daycare parents like the fact that I do have pets, so even the kids with no pets at home, get the experience of learning how to be around animals. I know that licensing varies from state-to-state and insurance regulations vary too...best check with those to be certain you're within their guidelines:-)
Hugs
Pammie
Thanx Pammie
PositvityRuLes 08:17 PM 01-11-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I have my dog. He has his shots and is well behaved. If parents dont like it they can leave. He is family.
lol I agree, our pets are our family! Thanx!
PositvityRuLes 08:23 PM 01-11-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I love all pets, but I wouldn't have one in my house now. We just bought a brand new home!
There are many parents who ask if you have any pets, some will not allow their child to be brought into a daycare with animals!! I have had that same question many times at interviews, from parents who do not want their children around pets at all. I agree if a parent doesn't want their children around pets, then they will have to search for one without any pets.
I am actually kind of allergic to long cat and dog hair as well now, I never used to be at all!!
I would share the same concern w/ pets if I were searching for a safe home care as well. This will be our first home and I have a 6 yr. old daughter who wants a puppy dearly but again, I want & need to consider the families needs as well.
Thanx for the feedback
PositvityRuLes 08:25 PM 01-11-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Having pets in my state is legal to, they are suppose to be clean and up to date on shots. If they are not friendly then they are not allowed near the children which is a no brainer. I'm with the others, he is family and great with the kids, if someone has a problem with him then they don't need to sign my contract, but we've only had our dog for 2 1/2 years and no one has yet had a problem.
Thanx for the feedback
PositvityRuLes 08:28 PM 01-11-2010
Thanx! Very helpful
PositvityRuLes 08:33 PM 01-11-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
We have 2 dogs and 2 guinea pigs. I have had some parents not choose me due to the dog issue but that is their loss. My dck love my animals and they become part of our extended family. Some have requested during the interview that they be kept locked up but I simply tell them not at all times. I use my judgement for safety and if the kids are running around and the dogs get excited yes, they get locked up. If we are doing circle time, eating, playing outside ect. the dogs are with us. Most except this answer but others choose to look elsewhere. The scary part is not the dogs with the children, it is the children and teaching them to respect the dogs!
I could understand that@teaching them to respect the dogs.
Thanx for the feedback
PositvityRuLes 08:34 PM 01-11-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I have 1 dog & 3 cats. I must show proof of vaccines & daycares in my area are not allowed to have exotic pets.
Thanx Tymaboy Very helpful.
PositvityRuLes 08:38 PM 01-11-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I have: a dog, a rabbit, a turtle, a tree frog, salamanders and toads. They are all used for educational purposes, except for the family dog!
Thanx Crystal* lol@ Except for the family dog!
PositvityRuLes 08:41 PM 01-11-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
When I have people interview and ask, I reply we have 2 1/2 dogs and 1/2 cat. This of course gets a chuckle with a few raised eyebrows. I then explain:

We have 1 (outside only) dog who is a Collie. He's got very long hair, sheds a little, but is strictly an outside dog. If it's dangerously cold he'll spend the night in the garage, but so far this year that hasn't been necessary.

We have 1 (inside) dog who is a Mini-Schnauzer. She does NOT shed at all, and is great with the kids.

We have 1/2 (inside) dog who is also a Mini-Schnauzer. She is my husband's dog and is only home when he is. She spends the majority of the time in the co-driver seat of his semi-truck. She's his alarm system for the truck. Sounds funny, but trust me, if you saw that dog in action you wouldn't doubt me. When she's home she's great with the kids also. She's here 1-2 weeks a month, depending on the month.

We have 1/2 cat. Really she looks more like a raccoon than a cat. She has a name, but we typically call her "basement kitty". She has taken up residency in the basement. She HATES our two dogs. Our basement is off limits to daycare children (unless we're practicing for storm drills) due to lack of egress. They have heard her and seen her. Every once in a while I'll lock the one dog up and bring her upstairs. She sheds tons, so really I don't mind her staying downstairs. Less hair mess for me to clean up. So since the kids rarely see her we consider that a half cat.

As for allergens, we have a friend who is severely allergic to cats, yet with her (the cat) staying downstairs he can come over and is not at all affected by her presence. The schnauzers have hair with hair follicles, not fur, so therefore they don't have pet dander. It's like people hair all over their body. Some other dogs are like this too, like poodles (and I'm not sure which other types).

As far as licensing goes I am required to keep my pets healthy and all of their shots up to date. This is done anyway, but they do check our records. I'm not sure if my county has any limit to the breed of dog, but I know our home-owner policy does.

Other pets - I'm not sure about reptiles, but birds would need to undergo certain testing to ensure they don't carry some disease. I don't think most fish area problem either, of course if I had a piranha tank that might raise some questions/concerns. I'm also not sure about small animals/rodents (hamsters, gerbils, etc).
lol@1/2 dogs and 1/2 cat. You guys have alot going on, sounds great! Thanx for your time and feedback
gbcc 04:24 AM 01-12-2010
Originally Posted by PositvityRuLes:
I would share the same concern w/ pets if I were searching for a safe home care as well. This will be our first home and I have a 6 yr. old daughter who wants a puppy dearly but again, I want & need to consider the families needs as well.
Thanx for the feedback
Actually puppies are better excetped than dogs! I rescued my second dog as a puppy and didn't even think to let the parents know about it. Even the parents got excited to come everyday and see our little Brownie! If you were to rescue or adopt and older dog already set in it's ways then I can see parents being a bit concerned because you didn't raise it with the tempermant you hoped for.
originalkat 05:13 AM 01-12-2010
We have a Mini-Schnauzer. Our state does not allow certain breeds (like pit bull) and we must have current shots on file.

I am not really an animal person. But my husband grew up with dogs and a Mini-Schnauzer in particular and wanted our kids to experience the same thing. So when we bought our house 2 years ago we got our Murphy. It took me awhile to adjust, but now I LOVE my dog and could not see life without him. He has grown up around children and is really good with them. (Even when they try to ride him, pull on his beard etc...) He is my cordless vacuum cleaner. And sinse I am home all day every day with him, I have become his "master" or his main caregiver even though my plan was for my husband to be the one "in charge". HAHA Dogs know, dont they.

Like Gretas Little Friends said...Mini-Schnauzers dont shed at all. It is awesome! And for those with allergies he does not seem to cause a problem. I have heard that breed be called Hypo-allergenic dogs.

I had one family concerned with the fact that we had a dog since their child was afraid of them. They asked if I locked the dog up. I said no, but I will gate him off while your child adjusts. They interviewed some other places, but returned to me. Their child and Murphy are best of friends now. It took a couple weeks to adjust.
Pammie 05:46 AM 01-12-2010
Actually puppies are better excetped than dogs! I rescued my second dog as a puppy and didn't even think to let the parents know about it. Even the parents got excited to come everyday and see our little Brownie! If you were to rescue or adopt and older dog already set in it's ways then I can see parents being a bit concerned because you didn't raise it with the tempermant you hoped for.
I TOTALLY agree! All three of our pets started here as kittens/puppy....I wouldn't be able to trust an adult dog or cat around the daycare children for a loooong time. Starting as babies with little kids around all the time, the pets learn to accept the handling (sometimes unintentionally rough) that comes along with kids.
Hugs
Pam
Unregistered 05:51 AM 01-12-2010
I have two dogs, 1 rottwieler that is 9 and one lil bit of a dog, I've had some parents be concerned about the rottie utill they got to know him, he's been raised with kids and is very well mannered. I also have two cats and two ferretts, all the animals have to be current with thier vaccines and i have to show records of them. We also have some horses and we've had pigs in the past along with chickens. The dck did get to help with the chicks and to mix the pig feed sometimes but i get permission (written) from the parents first. I've only ever had one issue with a pet and dck and that was a few years ago, I had to talk to the family more than once and finally told them that if the child was 'mean' one more time to any of my animals he'd be terminated. This child was scary. The only time i ever saw him smile and his eyes light up with joy was when someone or something was hurt. He killed one of the baby chickens and was throwing big rocks at my dog. The other dck were scared of him and his paternal grandma confided in me that she would never watch him again due to his behavior with her pets..
My animals teach care and love but also let me know when someone is here (even the horses) and I've learned to trust their instinct, now when my dog doesnt like a kid or parent I take a closer look. Dog's have better instincts...
Oh and this is Kiddiecare..I tried registering but the link didnt work through my email and now i cant post with my username???
PositvityRuLes 02:17 PM 01-12-2010
I'm thinking I totally agree with you in regards to adopting/ rescuing a puppy and, families being more accepting to a new puppy rather than an old dog with risky tricks lol I think we're on to something!
Thanx Gbcc
PositvityRuLes 02:21 PM 01-12-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
We have a Mini-Schnauzer. Our state does not allow certain breeds (like pit bull) and we must have current shots on file.

I am not really an animal person. But my husband grew up with dogs and a Mini-Schnauzer in particular and wanted our kids to experience the same thing. So when we bought our house 2 years ago we got our Murphy. It took me awhile to adjust, but now I LOVE my dog and could not see life without him. He has grown up around children and is really good with them. (Even when they try to ride him, pull on his beard etc...) He is my cordless vacuum cleaner. And sinse I am home all day every day with him, I have become his "master" or his main caregiver even though my plan was for my husband to be the one "in charge". HAHA Dogs know, dont they.

Like Gretas Little Friends said...Mini-Schnauzers dont shed at all. It is awesome! And for those with allergies he does not seem to cause a problem. I have heard that breed be called Hypo-allergenic dogs.

I had one family concerned with the fact that we had a dog since their child was afraid of them. They asked if I locked the dog up. I said no, but I will gate him off while your child adjusts. They interviewed some other places, but returned to me. Their child and Murphy are best of friends now. It took a couple weeks to adjust.
"He is my cordless vacuum cleaner"lol 2 stars for Mini-Schnauzers!
Thanx for the feedback originalkat
PositvityRuLes 02:23 PM 01-12-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I TOTALLY agree! All three of our pets started here as kittens/puppy....I wouldn't be able to trust an adult dog or cat around the daycare children for a loooong time. Starting as babies with little kids around all the time, the pets learn to accept the handling (sometimes unintentionally rough) that comes along with kids.
Hugs
Pam
Totally agree!
PositvityRuLes 02:30 PM 01-12-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have two dogs, 1 rottwieler that is 9 and one lil bit of a dog, I've had some parents be concerned about the rottie utill they got to know him, he's been raised with kids and is very well mannered. I also have two cats and two ferretts, all the animals have to be current with thier vaccines and i have to show records of them. We also have some horses and we've had pigs in the past along with chickens. The dck did get to help with the chicks and to mix the pig feed sometimes but i get permission (written) from the parents first. I've only ever had one issue with a pet and dck and that was a few years ago, I had to talk to the family more than once and finally told them that if the child was 'mean' one more time to any of my animals he'd be terminated. This child was scary. The only time i ever saw him smile and his eyes light up with joy was when someone or something was hurt. He killed one of the baby chickens and was throwing big rocks at my dog. The other dck were scared of him and his paternal grandma confided in me that she would never watch him again due to his behavior with her pets..
My animals teach care and love but also let me know when someone is here (even the horses) and I've learned to trust their instinct, now when my dog doesnt like a kid or parent I take a closer look. Dog's have better instincts...
Oh and this is Kiddiecare..I tried registering but the link didnt work through my email and now i cant post with my username???
How frightening@"The only time i ever saw him smile and his eyes light up with joy was when someone or something was hurt. He killed one of the baby chickens and was throwing big rocks at my dog." I'm sure the children love the interaction with your pets, sounds great!
Thanx for your feedback Kiddiecare
Tags:animals, cats, dogs, pets
Reply Up