Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Help Me With My Room!!
SunflowerMama 06:03 PM 04-30-2011
I'm trying to change things up a bit and just can't find something I'm happy with.

I just thought a few more pairs of eyes may have some suggestions.

At a rummage sale today I picked up a few pieces I thought would be cute in the room. 2 little wooden cupboards and then a standing wooden shelf that opens.

I was going to mount the 2 cupboards on the wall above the baby basket and add hooks inside to hang baby clothes. I just don't know how I feel about the look now that I have one up.

I thought about turning the bookcase under the calendar by the door sideways to seperate a little block area but the back of the bookcase looks horrible and I tried drapping it with a cloth and it just looks yucky so I placed it square on the wall. I also don't know if I'm 100% on the draping above the reading area (but my girls LOVED it).

I just can't find a look that I'm happy with.

What would you change/move if this was your room? Any advice would be greatly appreciated b/c I'm at a loss right now.

Abigail 08:20 PM 04-30-2011
I have to say I still LOVE your room no matter what you think, lol. I really like the draping around the reading area, but I would remove whatever is on the wall behind the purple draping and keep it a blank wall.

I think the wooden pieces you found today are cute. The throw the room off because they're a dark color of wood vs. your light oak colors and your two matching white shelves. I would try to off-set the color distribution by moving your white shelf as you walk into the room on the left to where your new wooden pieces are and vice versa. If you have two pieces that can be wall mounted you should either have them mirror each other or place one a few inches lower to mirror your green matching boards on the opposite side of the room.
AfterSchoolMom 05:38 AM 05-01-2011
Could you maybe paint the new wooden cabinets white? That may help if you find they're "sticking out" too much. You could do the same to the back of the bookshelf. I like the purple drapey stuff too, but I think Abigail is right and the drawings behind it make it look too "busy". Other than that, I think your room looks awesome!
KEG123 07:28 AM 05-01-2011
I might want to move the reading area more towards the window. You know, better lighting. I'm also not so fond of the green circle paintings on the wall, although I do see it "matches" your shelves.
Meeko 08:50 AM 05-01-2011
First off...I LOVE your tree!! Did you paint that yourself?! IT's AWESOME!

Your room is very cute....but what hit me the most is the colors. Sometimes it's hard tell in photos...but the room looks mainly blue. Blue walls. The purple netting (same color family), blue table cloth on the table etc. Have you thought about changing some of the colors? Maybe add some reds or yellows to balance the blues and greens? I'm no designer...just a thought! Getting a balance can be tricky. Don't want to make is too busy...but want to get a variety of interest for the eye!
jen2651 01:41 PM 05-01-2011
I love it! I too would take the items from behind the draping out. Your little cupboards are really cute but I agree that I think you may like them better if they were painted white. And, from an OCD standpoint, you have (or the kids) have a much easier time 'seeing' inside a white cupboard!

Super cute!
SunflowerMama 04:04 PM 05-01-2011
Thanks for the great suggestions! Especially Abigail for suggesting I move my bookcase to the other side of the room and the dark cupboards.

This is what I came up with. I'm definitely more happy with it and may paint those cabinets down the road.

and I added some curtains .

AnythingsPossible 09:02 AM 05-02-2011
Do you mind sharing the dimensions of your daycare room?
SunflowerMama 02:09 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Do you mind sharing the dimensions of your daycare room?
The room is about 11ft x 11ft so definitely on the smaller end. It's the only room dedicated 100% to daycare but we also use the rest of our main level (kitchen/dining/living).
jen2651 07:50 PM 05-02-2011
whoop whoop! Gorgeous! Love it!
countrymom 06:43 AM 05-03-2011
I would have moved the reading corner closer to the window, like under the tree and get rid of the purple curtain. My reading corner is near a window and the kids love it because they can see much better. I would get rid of the 2 circle pictures on the wall, they don't look like they belong there. maybe replace them with picture frames and pictures that the kids made. change the table cloth to something springy.
meganlavonnesmommy 05:02 AM 05-04-2011
Love it! I wish I had your space to work with! Personally I would remove the purple netting in the reading area. I love it, and it looks awesome. But depending on the ages of your kids, or how active they are, I could see it getting torn down pretty quickly.
I know with my group the first thing they would do is start pulling on it, and trying to hang from it.
But I have a group of active boys, so for you it may not be an issue.
SunflowerMama 05:45 AM 05-04-2011
Ok I promise this is the last time I'm posting pictures.

I removed the purple net (it had been pulled down twice already) and moved the reading area back to the tree.

I always liked the reading area there but had a friend of mine that does daycare and a little consulting and she thought the tree by the windows would be a good space for block play which is why I moved the reading area, but I prefer the reading.

A little boring over here now but I have this alphabet art work from Etsy coming so that will go on the wall.

countrymom 06:26 AM 05-04-2011
I like the reading area by the window, i think the kids will love sitting there.
Tags:decor, layout, pictures, playroom layout, wall art
Reply Up