Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>*Eye Roll*
Hunni Bee 11:25 AM 11-11-2015
I hate when parents start dropping hints that they want their kid to stop napping.

"He doesn't nap at all anymore at home" "Its just so hard to get him to bed because he has that long nap"

Insert blank stare.

And it always seems to be the parents of kids who sleep like logs every day. Sorry dude. I don't wake sleeping children nor do I prevent children from falling asleep nor can I do away with naptime for the others.
DaveA 11:42 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

And it always seems to be the parents of kids who sleep like logs every day.
So true. I tell parents I will not mess with the other children's naps by not putting their child on a cot. If they don't fall asleep/ wake up really early I have quiet activities for them to do if need be, but they still have to follow my schedule.
melilley 12:27 PM 11-11-2015
Too bad so sad! Everyone naps here. I think some parents just want it easier for them at night.
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I hate when parents start dropping hints that they want their kid to stop napping.

"He doesn't nap at all anymore at home" "Its just so hard to get him to bed because he has that long nap"

Insert blank stare.

And it always seems to be the parents of kids who sleep like logs every day. Sorry dude. I don't wake sleeping children nor do I prevent children from falling asleep nor can I do away with naptime for the others.
That is such a common mis-conception.

Along with "he's running around crazy like a mad man at night so I know he isn't tired." type statements.

Truth is, when they are exhibiting that type of behavior its because their brains have long shut down and their little bodies are on auto-pilot. Kind of like a drunk driver.

Kids that have those symptoms are actually lacking sleep not needing less.

That ^^ is my usual response.

If the parent continues to push, I tell them I won't discuss nap/sleep/bedtime issues with them. I will however accept their notice of withdrawal if they feel my program no longer meets their child's needs.

I know you work in a center Hunni so that probably doesn't help much but you can atleast "correct" parents in regards to not being able to get their kid to bed at night.
childcaremom 02:01 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Truth is, when they are exhibiting that type of behavior its because their brains have long shut down and their little bodies are on auto-pilot. Kind of like a drunk driver.

If the parent continues to push, I tell them I won't discuss nap/sleep/bedtime issues with them. I will however accept their notice of withdrawal if they feel my program no longer meets their child's needs.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall during your talks with parents.

Whoever started that thread was about who wanted to learn what, I would add this:
How to chat with parents about issues in a non-emotional, non-confrontational manner.

I am getting a LOT better chatting face to face with parents but dealing with certain types of parents sends my nerves into overdrive.
Hunni Bee 05:21 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I wish I could be a fly on the wall during your talks with parents.

Whoever started that thread was about who wanted to learn what, I would add this:
How to chat with parents about issues in a non-emotional, non-confrontational manner.

I am getting a LOT better chatting face to face with parents but dealing with certain types of parents sends my nerves into overdrive.
Even though I'm in a center, I too have benefited from Black Cats School Of Putting Your Foot Down (In A Nice Way). lol

Being able to calmly give a no and not back down while looking like this is actually a life skill that no one ever tells you you need.

Also the Awkward Silence and Uncomfortable Eye Contact is useful too.
Ariana 07:48 AM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is such a common mis-conception.

Along with "he's running around crazy like a mad man at night so I know he isn't tired." type statements.

I know you work in a center Hunni so that probably doesn't help much but you can atleast "correct" parents in regards to not being able to get their kid to bed at night.
I have used this as well and in 99% of cases the parents are the problem at home with irregular schedules or not giving an opportunity to nap or having the idea that they need t be "over tired" in order to sleep.

I even had a dad say "yes I know all of the research says that sleep begets sleep but I don't think it's true in our case" LOL. Meanwhile his child was going through separation anxiety because she JUST started daycare so was waking at night. No matter what I said they were convinced it was the nap. I just carried on and low and behold she is back to sleeping through the night and napping here 3 hours.
Tags:nap issues, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up