Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do You Stand Out?
gumdrops 08:41 AM 05-30-2018
For those of you who think/know that you are the highly recommended or sought out program. What do you do to stand out? Is it your rates, preschool program, food/meal plan, etc?
Annalee 08:48 AM 05-30-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
For those of you who think/know that you are the highly recommended or sought out program. What do you do to stand out? Is it your rates, preschool program, food/meal plan, etc?
The biggest compliment I feel I get is when clients or even clients that choose not to enroll is when they tell others "clients know what to expect and ms. xxxx is adamant about her contract". I do charge 52 weeks a year and take lots of time off, but I just want 12 families that will comply with that and thus far I have been blessed with that!
TooManyKitties 09:18 AM 05-30-2018
Analee, when you say you take “lots” of time off, how much time is that? I haven’t opened yet and am trying to decide how much time to take off.
Annalee 09:26 AM 05-30-2018
Originally Posted by TooManyKitties:
Analee, when you say you take “lots” of time off, how much time is that? I haven’t opened yet and am trying to decide how much time to take off.
I take the school holidays, I take 3-5 (usually work two days one week and three days the next to split it up) days off around memorial day/july 4/labor day, closed week of christmas - new years, professional days (usually 4 days a year), Family time-graduations, decoration, etc. (usually 4 days a year), unlimited emergency days (some years none, some years many). Granted, I didn't begin this way, I worked almost 10 years with NO time off, but the last 15+ have worked with much more time off.
DaveA 10:56 AM 05-30-2018
Peace of mind and value. Notice I didn't say "Low Cost". I mean that parents are happy with what is being provided for the fee. I explain to parents what I do and why I do it. Now that explanation might be "because I want to", but I talk about the process behind doing something. If DCPs know they have a spot their children are safe, happy, learning, and having a good time without being parked in front of a screen all day you are well on the way to success.
Annalee 11:39 AM 05-30-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Peace of mind and value. Notice I didn't say "Low Cost". I mean that parents are happy with what is being provided for the fee. I explain to parents what I do and why I do it. Now that explanation might be "because I want to", but I talk about the process behind doing something. If DCPs know they have a spot their children are safe, happy, learning, and having a good time without being parked in front of a screen all day you are well on the way to success.
I like to think there is "no pretense" with my child care program....they can take it or leave it....just know up front what is expected when you enroll. I do have issues arise but hopefully I keep those to a minimum with my interview w/expectations.
LysesKids 12:12 PM 05-30-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I like to think there is "no pretense" with my child care program....they can take it or leave it....just know up front what is expected when you enroll. I do have issues arise but hopefully I keep those to a minimum with my interview w/expectations.
This is me... I have everything on my website including policies; parents know upfront how I run & what fees are... they don't like it, they don't have to send me their info thru my contact page (I don't post phone or address, just general area for safety reasons). I have a set way & time for interviews too... I figure if you can't find a way to make a 5:30-6pm meet & greet, then how the heck will you pick up on time lol (last child leaves at 5:30)
Cat Herder 08:27 AM 05-31-2018
"For those of you who think/know that you are the highly recommended or sought out program."

This feels like bait.

"Is it your rates, preschool program, food/meal plan, etc?"

I think I have been successful mostly because of my long history of reliable and consistent care in my community, where everyone knows me. Experience. Familiarity. Shared values, priorities and culture.

I offer a full preschool curriculum and a lot more services now than when I opened but the main thing people are looking for is experience, consistency, and reliability, here.
gumdrops 09:40 AM 05-31-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"For those of you who think/know that you are the highly recommended or sought out program."

This feels like bait.

I think I have been successful mostly because of my long history of reliable and consistent care in my community, where everyone knows me. Experience. Familiarity. Shared values, priorities and culture.

I offer a full preschool curriculum and a lot more services now than when I opened but the main thing people are looking for is experience, consistency, and reliability, here.
After I posted and reread, I thought I sounded pretty snotty...not my intent!
Annalee 09:45 AM 05-31-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

This feels like bait.

the bolded is also the same for me...I live within a mile from where I grew up and everyone know everyone here!
Josiegirl 10:03 AM 05-31-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
the bolded is also the same for me...I live within a mile from where I grew up and everyone know everyone here!
Same here. Lol I get mostly referrals from people who have used my services before, even from 10-15 years ago. There is a continuity and reliability in my care. I take some time off but not that much. I'm a trustworthy patient person, most of the time. And flexible to a degree. I've worked with parents employed by local schools, DCF, WIC, local state offices such as those and it really helps to have your name out there.
One dcf enrolled because they were searching our local resource and referral list; my 1st name was one of their mom's first names(who lives in England) and my last name was the other mom's last name. They took it as a sign.
So you just never know what will make you stand out from the rest. Lol
BrynleeJean 10:49 AM 05-31-2018
Im trustworthy, dependable, work like a dog, never take sick days though i do schedule myself PTO. i have had a couple families leave because they thought they could get the same care elsewhere at a center or other home childcare for cheaper price, and come running back in a matter of days because, their child "wasn't learning anything" or "hated it" so id like to think my preschool/pre k program is very good, and the children not only feel safe but the parents feel safe dropping their child off.
my favorite part has always been getting children kinder ready so i tend to really pride myself on that.
Jamie 03:26 AM 06-04-2018
I stand out because everybody around here live in apartments - some don't even have balconies - and I have a large garden, trees, bushes, flowers, grass, playhouse, slide, sandbox... I take the kids out every day, sometimes twice a day.

I cook from scratch (often with the kids), and 90% is organic 😊
Annalee 04:44 AM 06-04-2018
I also think many parents want to see the same caregiver all the time. Too many times, even FCC has turnover with assistants or the primary caregiver is gone too much. That doesn't happen here, granted my contract is set up with closing to benefit me but it also benefits these types of clients as they do not want their children with just anyone....after all that is why they came to me and I love getting these types of clients.
Tags:academics, daycare environment
Reply Up