Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Insight On Two Children
Baby Beluga 08:36 AM 12-31-2015
I have two children in my care who I need some insight on, please .

One child is my own. She will be 4 in one week. The other child is a DCB who is 3.5. My daughter and DCB have been together for about a year and a half now.

Lately DD and DCB won't actually play or engage in an activity. They will sit together, make loud noises, make up words and laugh loudly. That's it. It often times become disruptive because the laughing turns into screaming and then lay on the floor and roll around. I have never experienced this with two kids before. Mind you I've been working with children since 2007.

Is this normal behavior? Am I a big meanie for not wanting this to happen? You can tell me if I am Or is this a way for them to "disobey." I'm so confused about this! I don't want to tramp on their fun....but are they really having fun? What are they getting from doing this?

FWIW, I have tried separating them and they usually end up doing the same behavior just across the room.
Silly Songs 09:03 AM 12-31-2015
They are being 4 year olds. Laughing, being silly, yelling. It's perfectly normal and expected. But you can tell them when it's time to stop.
Angelsj 09:05 AM 12-31-2015
I don't know that they are "disobeying" you, but if you don't want this behavior to happen, I would try engaging the other children (or yourself) in something quite interesting when this starts. Something that will draw them away from the behavior and engage them in another activity.
Over time, between ignoring the behavior and engaging them doing stuff together that is more acceptable, you should be able to put a halt to it.
finsup 09:21 AM 12-31-2015
That's my 4 year old! He has a buddy in his church class and they act like that often. God bless those teachers, I love my kid but he can be a handful! It was happening here too (and still does sometimes) but I found implementing center time really helped. Basically, they can handle 45 minutes of free play before the over the top silliness starts. Then we clean up and switch to centers (3 different sit down activities that I choose, they can pick what one they want to do and have to ask before switching). It helps shift the focus and gives them something to work on. Activities are always geared toward big kids (mostly things with small peices that the littles can't have and don't come out all the time) so it holds their attention. It's not perfect but it helps. I would rather we just get outside (where they can be as loud and silly as they want) but with our winters it just isn't an option all the time.
daycarediva 10:04 AM 12-31-2015
I will probably be the odd man out but our rules are basic, if it isn't hurting ourselves, others or things it's pretty much ok. (with a few exceptions). What other time in a persons life is it acceptable to be silly? To laugh at nonsense? I would probably join in. Teach them silly songs. When my 4's make up words, I sing the word in the name game song and it creates even more silly words. (which is also great for phonetic awareness).

It sounds like they aren't doing any harm, there is no potty language and they are having fun. I would pick my battles.
Sunshine74 10:23 AM 12-31-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I will probably be the odd man out but our rules are basic, if it isn't hurting ourselves, others or things it's pretty much ok. (with a few exceptions). What other time in a persons life is it acceptable to be silly? To laugh at nonsense? I would probably join in. Teach them silly songs. When my 4's make up words, I sing the word in the name game song and it creates even more silly words. (which is also great for phonetic awareness).

It sounds like they aren't doing any harm, there is no potty language and they are having fun. I would pick my battles.
I'm with you on this.

The point where I would step in is when the screaming starts. I would say something like, "It is ok to have fun and be silly, but your screaming is hurting my ears."
daycarediva 10:36 AM 12-31-2015
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
I'm with you on this.

The point where I would step in is when the screaming starts. I would say something like, "It is ok to have fun and be silly, but your screaming is hurting my ears."

finsup 11:06 AM 12-31-2015

Oh silly is fine...its the over the top, loud, rolling around/chase games that begin where it gets out of hand I suspect this is what the OP is talking about. Making up silly words, laughing and just making no sense, that's no problem
Baby Beluga 11:29 AM 12-31-2015
Thank you for your insight everyone!

I certainly don't want to ruin their fun, and there is no physical harming going on when this happens. It was just a grey area for me
Ariana 04:22 PM 12-31-2015

Agree! I will take silliness over whining any day!!
spedmommy4 04:58 PM 12-31-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
Oh silly is fine...its the over the top, loud, rolling around/chase games that begin where it gets out of hand I suspect this is what the OP is talking about. Making up silly words, laughing and just making no sense, that's no problem
I agree with this. And I have a group of three year olds that have grown up together this year. I feel like they hit about 3 years 7ish months and suddenly went silly. My other current favorite is the new random, "you're my best friend/not my best friend" declarations. (All day long )

Anyway, I draw the line at anything I deem unsafe. For example, rolling around and creating a tripping hazard or running in the playroom. We talk about safe vs unsafe during circle and I reinforce the rules with reminders and/or consequences throughout the day.
Baby Beluga 08:34 PM 12-31-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I agree with this. And I have a group of three year olds that have grown up together this year. I feel like they hit about 3 years 7ish months and suddenly went silly. My other current favorite is the new random, "you're my best friend/not my best friend" declarations. (All day long )
Yep, this started here too. Along with random "I love you's" haha.
Unregistered 10:00 PM 01-02-2016
They're learning . I would borrow or buy "The Book with No Pictures". They will LOVE it.
Baby Beluga 09:09 AM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They're learning . I would borrow or buy "The Book with No Pictures". They will LOVE it.
Just googled this book - I think you are right, it seems right up their alley! Thanks for the recommendation
Reply Up