Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Bad Apple Daycare
RJD 06:03 PM 08-08-2009
I heard from a freind some disturbing news about a daycare center in Orlando, Fl called ?????? Daycare. I heard that the Director resigned from this daycare center because the owner refused to pay overtime to her workers. Also I was told that she often doesn't give the workers their paychecks when they normaly are supposed to receive them and sometimes there are no funds in the bank account of the owner to cover these paychecks. So the workers have to wait until the owner puts money in her account which causes the workers to have to wait until the following week to cash their checks. I was also told that the owner usualy terminates the workers after three months of employment in order to get out of paying unemployment compinsation.
I have heard that the owner tried to use the Directors credentials to open another daycare center in Orlando, even though the Director would not be working at the new center. The Director was instructed to lie to DCF should they inquire.
The last thing I heard was that the owner of this daycare refused the Directors offer of a two week notice and let her go rightaway. I was also told that the owner has yet to give the Director her final paycheck, she has been waiting three weeks for it.
I would be careful about using this daycare, sounds like some shady goings on here.
I would like to add that this is all hearsay from source that is not related to any party above.
Michael 11:38 PM 08-08-2009
This forum can not assume stories from thrid parties are legitimate. We do not edit threads or posts and allow for all views to be heard. Unless someone disputes this story we will run it as is. Apple Academy is also welcome to respond.
Melonie Cutler 05:21 AM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by michael:
This forum can not assume stories from thrid parties are legitimate. We do not edit threads or posts and allow for all views to be heard. Unless someone disputes this story we will run it as is. Apple Academy is also welcome to respond.

I have been on this forum for awhile and I have now just taken the time to register. However, I have seen posts that are "edited" from the moderators because the moderators do not like what is written. Everyone's opinion is different. That's what makes us unique. I understand that we do not want public bashing on this forum without hearing all sides of the story. I also understand that sometimes posts must be edited for length etc. However when do say that you allow all views to be heard is, well, hypocritical

P.S. We still love you Michael! You are a great admin!
Michael 12:19 PM 08-09-2009
Thanks for the feedback Melonie. For the record, you are correct. There were some recent posts that a new moderator had taken control of. In the many years that this forum has been active our philosophy is to allow all opinions on daycare and childcare to have a place on Daycare.com without infringement.

The moderator that did control the thread was our most active member but the advantage of having all that control appeared to get out of hand. We tried to correct the problem but seem to have lost this member and her knowledge of the daycare system which is unfortunate.

We take the time everyday to monitor SPAM and unrelated content from filtering into our discussion and are very pleased with the level of knowledge that fill our pages. Everyone is doing a great service to this industry and many visitors from around the world come to this forum to read and learn from your experiences.

The Daycare.com forum has slowly allowed for fewer restrictions and Senior Members now have the option of uploading pictures and creating a friends section which you can find in the Community link at the top of the page. Members can also use their own Avatar by uploading it within your members section once logged in.

Admin (Michael)
Unregistered 06:46 AM 09-11-2009
I have not heard this, but I have experienced my own frustration with the management / owner. They were very difficult and unsympathetic to our situation. They didn't return calls and weren't honest about their financial practices.

Originally Posted by RJD:
I heard from a freind some disturbing news about a daycare center in Orlando, Fl called Apple Academy Daycare. This place is located in the Lake Nona area off Narcoosee rd.
I heard that the Director resigned from this daycare center because the owner refused to pay overtime to her workers. Also I was told that she often doesn't give the workers their paychecks when they normaly are supposed to receive them and sometimes there are no funds in the bank account of the owner to cover these paychecks. So the workers have to wait until the owner puts money in her account which causes the workers to have to wait until the following week to cash their checks. I was also told that the owner usualy terminates the workers after three months of employment in order to get out of paying unemployment compinsation.
I have heard that the owner tried to use the Directors credentials to open another daycare center in Orlando, even though the Director would not be working at the new center. The Director was instructed to lie to DCF should they inquire.
The last thing I heard was that the owner of this daycare refused the Directors offer of a two week notice and let her go rightaway. I was also told that the owner has yet to give the Director her final paycheck, she has been waiting three weeks for it.
I would be careful about using this daycare, sounds like some shady goings on here.
I would like to add that this is all hearsay from source that is not related to any party above.

RJD 06:39 PM 09-19-2009
My freind went to go work for another daycare called" the Wonder Years" . The owner promised her $12.00 an hour to start. But, when she received her first check they reduced her pay to $11.00, she confronted the owner and he swares he didn't promise her $12.00 so she decided to accept the $11.00 (which isn't bad these days). Then he reduced her hours from 40 to 32 hours per week because they didn't have enough children enolled yet to keep her on fulltime, (even thou she is the only Director and is required to be there fulltime). Then they only had her working 16 hours or less a week. So she made a list of serious violations she found in the daycare and told the owner that they had to be addressed because she could get in trouble for allowing these violations to continue.

I'm not certain of happened next but she doesn't work there anymore and the owner has refused to give her,her last check. My freind is taking up this issue and the issue of the violations with DCF. I guess anybody can start a daycare. Seems as though it's standard operating procedure for these daycares to treat their employees with contempt and steal money from them. This would make me very nervous to leave my children in the care of these daycares, who knows what goes on while your at work. If they are that greedy and willing to hide violations from DCF and lie to DCF, who knows what they are hiding from the parents. This daycare is located on Oakridge rd in Orlando, Fl. It just opened up about a month ago.

My freind has not endorsed or given permission to me to relay this story to you concerned parents. I'm just doing my part to give you heads up and keep you informed about potentialy hazardous daycares.
Chickenhauler 01:44 PM 09-26-2009
Originally Posted by RJD:
My freind went to go work for another daycare called" the Wonder Years" . The owner promised her $12.00 an hour to start. But, when she received her first check they reduced her pay to $11.00, she confronted the owner and he swares he didn't promise her $12.00 so she decided to accept the $11.00 (which isn't bad these days). Then he reduced her hours from 40 to 32 hours per week because they didn't have enough children enolled yet to keep her on fulltime, (even thou she is the only Director and is required to be there fulltime). Then they only had her working 16 hours or less a week. So she made a list of serious violations she found in the daycare and told the owner that they had to be addressed because she could get in trouble for allowing these violations to continue.

I'm not certain of happened next but she doesn't work there anymore and the owner has refused to give her,her last check. My freind is taking up this issue and the issue of the violations with DCF. I guess anybody can start a daycare. Seems as though it's standard operating procedure for these daycares to treat their employees with contempt and steal money from them. This would make me very nervous to leave my children in the care of these daycares, who knows what goes on while your at work. If they are that greedy and willing to hide violations from DCF and lie to DCF, who knows what they are hiding from the parents. This daycare is located on Oakridge rd in Orlando, Fl. It just opened up about a month ago.

My freind has not endorsed or given permission to me to relay this story to you concerned parents. I'm just doing my part to give you heads up and keep you informed about potentialy hazardous daycares.
A quick call to the Department of Labor about the withheld paycheck would be straightened out VERY fast here......if you withhold someone's pay without a good reason (unreturned equipment such as keys, uniforms, etc) can and usually does result in a punitive fine being issued that includes the amount owed to the former employee.

Failure to pay that fine results in being SHUT DOWN until compliance is met.
RJD 08:49 PM 09-27-2009
She's supposed to be in contact with the Dept of Labor about her paycheck. Also she has been in contact with DCF about this daycare operating without a director and the other violations this place has going. The name of this dump is called "My Wonder Years". Some dirtbag from a third world country is the owner. I guess he didn't know that things are run different in America. He'll be wishing he stayed in South America after my freinds done with him.
As far as " Apple Academy" is going. Another ex-employee of theirs has contacted an Attorney about suing the owner for unfair labor practices and pay issues. The Attorney wants to speak to my freind about the problems she had there. Maybe they will go in together on a lawsuit against the owners of his daycare. I'll keep you posted.

These daycares remind me of some of these trucking outfits out here like CR England, Swift and other pisspoor carriers.
RJD 04:40 PM 10-11-2009
GoodNews, I heard that DCF visited this daycare and gave them a fine for not having a Director on staff fulltime. My freind said the owner agreed to finaly send her final paycheck to her. He doesn't want anymore heat from DCF,DOL or any other branch of the government. Some people have to learn the hard way, maybe he will show more respect to his employees in the future.
Unregistered 09:12 AM 10-15-2009
This daycare facility is horrible. My son was a student there for five months and he learned nothing. He had a least three to four teachers while he was there. The daycare can not retain their staff. The information recieved by one employee is never the same by another. It is hard to ever get a straight answer. I moved my son to Lady Bird Academy and he learned to spell his name by the first week and learned his vowels the following week. Even though the cost may be cheaper at Apple it is not worth my son's education and frustration. I have been give wrong information and down right lied to in the past by Tonya and other staff members. A parent needs to be able to trust and have faith in their childs daycare facility. I feel that Apple is a trashy place and that you will do injustice to your child if you send them there.
Unregistered 08:58 AM 07-29-2011
I have a 2 year old son that attends Apple Academy in Orlando, FL and he loves it. throughout the house I can hear my baby singing songs that his teacher has taught, in SPANISH! Thanks to the nurturing and caring teachers at Apple Academy, I can proudly say that my son is POTTY Trained!

Whenever I enter the center everyone is smiling and so happy. The office staff is always so helpful and professional. I am glad that places like this still exist.

THANK YOU
Tags:bad providers
Reply Up