Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Computer for Kids
MissAnn 11:23 AM 04-03-2018
So how do you use a laptop for the kids in your care? My kids are all 3 to 5 years old.

I have a laptop I bought for a side business that I am no longer doing… And thought I would use it with the kids. In the past I’ve used a laptop for the kids to copy sentences. They write a word or a sentence, type it and then draw a picture about it. I’d like if you more ideas!

Not wanting anything flashy. Not ABC Mouse. A program would be OK as long as it’s not terribly flashy.
Michael 03:31 PM 04-03-2018
There are many learning DVD's that look like a Disney game or cartoons that teach letters, spelling and math. They were very helpful. Here is another thread on computers in daycare: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45978
hwichlaz 03:42 PM 04-03-2018
For younger kids. PBS.org has good games...

For 4’s....starfall.com
flying_babyb 04:10 PM 04-03-2018
Yoga!! there is a lot of nice kids yoga videos. We also like go noodle. We watch the videos at least once a day. Most of them require the kids to get up and move. Our current favorite is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSDxhF6GIUU We love this roller coaster
284878 05:25 AM 04-04-2018
PBS kids is slow (loads large files) and buffers a lot. At least with our internet.

I have ABC mouse for free as a teacher account, (it allows children to log in at home and I can monitor the progress.) I would recommend trying them. I think they maybe more user friendly for a three year old than PBS is. (Moving the mouse vs clicking the mouse)

Personally, I don't let kids use computers in my home but I liked that ABC mouse (is free) allows my to give access to the family to use at home. (I however tend to only attract infants and toddlers in my care. So I have not used the home access part yet but DD does use it here, completely monitered.)
hwichlaz 09:01 AM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
PBS kids is slow (loads large files) and buffers a lot. At least with our internet.

I have ABC mouse for free as a teacher account, (it allows children to log in at home and I can monitor the progress.) I would recommend trying them. I think they maybe more user friendly for a three year old than PBS is. (Moving the mouse vs clicking the mouse)

Personally, I don't let kids use computers in my home but I liked that ABC mouse (is free) allows my to give access to the family to use at home. (I however tend to only attract infants and toddlers in my care. So I have not used the home access part yet but DD does use it here, completely monitered.)
How do you get it for free. I had a paid subscription for 3 years and discontinued when my own child outgrew it.
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
How do you get it for free. I had a paid subscription for 3 years and discontinued when my own child outgrew it.
https://www.abcmouse.com/teacher-registration?private=1
MissAnn 10:05 AM 04-04-2018
I already have abc mouse. I find it confusing. How does it compare with Starfall and do you buy the home version or school version?
Ariana 10:51 AM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
For younger kids. PBS.org has good games...

For 4’s....starfall.com
This!
MissAnn 02:04 PM 04-04-2018
Thanks everyone. Paid for a year of Starfall and so far it looks good!
Tags:computers in daycare, laptop
Reply Up