Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quitting to Move/What Would You Do?
Greenshadow 07:44 AM 08-02-2010
Ok. My husband has taken a job and we have to move probably in September but it could trickle over into October. Its a State job and if you've every worked one, they are hard to figure out how far you are in the hiring process, etc.

I use a contract with the parents. I plan on telling them ahead of time. My first question is, I have to give ATLEAST a two-week notice. We need the pay that Im making up to as close to when we leave as possible, but I will give them a two-week notice. Do you give any more notice than that?

Should I say something to them beforehand? I feel bad that they will have to scavenge to find care for their children. I know one of the moms took over 3 months to find me so I know she wont appreciate having to find someone so fast.

I would like to get reference letters from these moms so Im trying to do this right. When is the 'right' time to ask for reference letters? If I ask for them before they know Im moving, will they get suspicious? Or should I wait until I put in notice and then ask for one so they have a week or two to get one made for me (if they do one at all at that point because they might be upset)?

The mom that took so long finding care is also due to have a baby at the end of this month. She will, most likely, be on maternity leave when I have to give notice. She planned on paying me half the payment while she was on maternity leave to hold the spot until she returned in October. Should I just tell her and let her pull him now so that she can use some of her time off to find care? I hate to do that because I wont get paid but Im only going to get half-pay from her anyway, as of the end of August.
JenNJ 08:09 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
She planned on paying me half the payment while she was on maternity leave to hold the spot until she returned in October.
It would be stealing if you make her pay to hold a spot when you know you will be closed. So no, I would tell her ASAP so she can make arrangements for both her kids.

I wouldn't give less than a month's notice in your situation. Especially since you want reference letters. I understand you need the money, but leaving them high and dry with only 2 weeks notice when you knew about this for a least 2 months is very unprofessional.

If I were in your shoes, I would have a letter drafted no later than this Friday.
boysx5 08:55 AM 08-02-2010
when my husband got transfer I gave several months notice for several reasons moving is alot of work we had to sell our house so when the for sale sign went up of course they would know we were moving and I think its fair not to leave them high and dry I was only doing after school at the time
MarinaVanessa 09:03 AM 08-02-2010
I agree that in the case of you wanting reference letters I would give them as much notice as possible. Yes, this may mean that some, or all, families may find a DC a lot sooner and may want to switch before you actually move but your other alternative is to give them a two-week notice right before you move and risk them not wanting to give you letters of recommendation.

Really a two-week notice is all you have to give but then what would you do with the mom that goes on maternity leave? I agree that you can't expect payment for half of the rate while she is on leave because she is paying for a spot that she believes will still be there when she returns. The curteous thing would be to give them as much notice as possible.

Type up a nice but proffesional letter to point out that you are being curteous in this and giving them ample time to find an alternative DC and that you hope that they will continue to stay with you until you actually have to close before making the switch. Then talk to them in person about it and explain any questions or concerns and make your requests for letters of recommendations now. This way you'll have them before they find another DC. You may want to think about putting together a little DC evaluation with specific questions to hand to them also with things like: How would you rate the quality of education, quality of the daycare provider (staff), the facility, etc. Sometimes you can get specific thoughts if you ask questions vs. a generalized "I was pleased with this daycare. It was good." that a letter of recommendation letter typically has. Don't be afraid to ask for both a letter and to have an evaluation form filled out.
nannyde 09:07 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
Ok. My husband has taken a job and we have to move probably in September but it could trickle over into October. Its a State job and if you've every worked one, they are hard to figure out how far you are in the hiring process, etc.

I use a contract with the parents. I plan on telling them ahead of time. My first question is, I have to give ATLEAST a two-week notice. We need the pay that Im making up to as close to when we leave as possible, but I will give them a two-week notice. Do you give any more notice than that?

Should I say something to them beforehand? I feel bad that they will have to scavenge to find care for their children. I know one of the moms took over 3 months to find me so I know she wont appreciate having to find someone so fast.

I would like to get reference letters from these moms so Im trying to do this right. When is the 'right' time to ask for reference letters? If I ask for them before they know Im moving, will they get suspicious? Or should I wait until I put in notice and then ask for one so they have a week or two to get one made for me (if they do one at all at that point because they might be upset)?

The mom that took so long finding care is also due to have a baby at the end of this month. She will, most likely, be on maternity leave when I have to give notice. She planned on paying me half the payment while she was on maternity leave to hold the spot until she returned in October. Should I just tell her and let her pull him now so that she can use some of her time off to find care? I hate to do that because I wont get paid but Im only going to get half-pay from her anyway, as of the end of August.
Whatever time you have required of them to give you notice is sufficient. I would continue to collect the holding fee for the baby and when you are ready to give notice credit the Mom the fees she has paid for the care of the older child during the termination notice time.

You never know when something is going to happen between now and then that will bump your plans further away. Just carry on as normal and don't worry about notice until you are at the time you would require them to give notice.

I wouldn't do the reference letters at all. I would just do past clients who aren't currently attending who don't know your current dcp's.
Greenshadow 03:45 PM 08-02-2010
If one of the parents decided that they wanted to find another provider, would they give me more than 2 weeks notice? I dont think so.

I dont want to leave them high and dry; thats what the 2 week notice is for!

BUT I dont want to let them go too early in case this job doesnt come through. We are hoping to find out for sure sometime this month. I think based on what Im reading here, that I will wait until we DO know for sure what we're doing before giving notice to any parent. Thats what most of you are saying anyway. I do not want to give notice right now because the job and the move are not guaranteed yet.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.
MommyMuffin 01:16 PM 08-05-2010
Good Luck to you! Hope all goes well. Keep us updated!
Tags:moving
Reply Up