Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>GRRRRRR!!!!! (Vent)
krystamichelle 06:02 PM 03-29-2011
I know there could have been a better title, but that was my exact thought. My fiance and I rent our house. By chance (we weren't actively seeking), we found a big place, that was much more suitable for our family situation and more spacious for providing care. It has a fenced in back yard as well, which we don't have right now.

So, I called my DCM to let her know and to inform her that it wouldn't be much of a change for her children (other than good things), plus she wouldn't have to drive out of her way or further. So, basically, no inconveniences for her.

After telling her all of this, she proceeded to let me know that this would be the last week for her DCK's, even though it states in the contract that she is to give a two week notice. Not to mention the fact that I closed an opening to give her son (who was very difficult) more personalized attention, which I had previously informed her of.

So now, even though we had told our current landlord and our future one that this move was pretty much a done deal, aside from crossing our t's, we no longer can afford to move to the bigger place unless I fill openings quick! I am so frustrated, I could cry right now.

Sorry for the vent.
momatheart 06:14 PM 03-29-2011
Did she say why she was leaving?

Maybe with her leaving, it is so that you can fill her spotsand the one you gave up to spend more time with her kid with a family or families that will be long term? If this new home is meant to be you will fill the openings.
SilverSabre25 06:15 PM 03-29-2011
Ugh, that sucks! If your contract with her states a two weeks' notice, you need to tell her that she still owes you for two weeks, regardless of whether she brings the kids for those two weeks.

Sending happy client thoughts your way!!
wdmmom 06:19 PM 03-29-2011
I will soon lose one of my long time clients too. It stinks but I've remained optimistic and I've had 2 calls and both set up interviews for later this week! Look up, stay positive, advertise, advertise, advertise! Good things will come!
krystamichelle 07:27 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
Did she say why she was leaving?

Maybe with her leaving, it is so that you can fill her spotsand the one you gave up to spend more time with her kid with a family or families that will be long term? If this new home is meant to be you will fill the openings.
She's leaving because she's not getting enough hours at work to justify the costs of childcare. If she had told me this was happening I would've worked something out with her so she could keep her job and I could keep mine. I talked to her (calmly after being short with her during the first conversation) and I can see where she's coming from. However, I still need my spots filled and to have my income. I'm so frustrated. We were supposed to give the landlord the deposit tomorrow, but I'm afraid to now. We can't afford it unless I'm working.
krystamichelle 07:29 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I will soon lose one of my long time clients too. It stinks but I've remained optimistic and I've had 2 calls and both set up interviews for later this week! Look up, stay positive, advertise, advertise, advertise! Good things will come!
Any advertising hints? I've put an ad on Craigslist. That did the trick the last time, but I'm afraid I won't get clients as soon as I need them (which is by Monday!!).
marniewon 08:03 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by krystamichelle:
Any advertising hints? I've put an ad on Craigslist. That did the trick the last time, but I'm afraid I won't get clients as soon as I need them (which is by Monday!!).
Could you find a part time job outside the home while you are looking for kids? When I got licensed, but had no kids yet, I took a job delivering pizzas at night and on weekends until I got my daycare going. I liked the job so much that I continued it for a while after I got kids. Ended up quitting it last June, and went back to it last month because I missed it so much!
krystamichelle 08:12 PM 03-29-2011
marniewon, I am looking and have applied to a few already. I took on daycare so I could earn money without having to leave my children, but it may not be able to stay that way right now.
wdmmom 04:25 AM 03-30-2011
Try advertising on Craigslist, the local newspaper, make flyers, leave them in business nearby your home or scout apartment complexes near your home. I'm sure you won't get anyone to jump as quick as Monday but I think its worth the wait to get the RIGHT family than to jump into working for someone you so quickly.
nannyde 05:26 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by krystamichelle:
I know there could have been a better title, but that was my exact thought. My fiance and I rent our house. By chance (we weren't actively seeking), we found a big place, that was much more suitable for our family situation and more spacious for providing care. It has a fenced in back yard as well, which we don't have right now.

So, I called my DCM to let her know and to inform her that it wouldn't be much of a change for her children (other than good things), plus she wouldn't have to drive out of her way or further. So, basically, no inconveniences for her.

After telling her all of this, she proceeded to let me know that this would be the last week for her DCK's, even though it states in the contract that she is to give a two week notice. Not to mention the fact that I closed an opening to give her son (who was very difficult) more personalized attention, which I had previously informed her of.

So now, even though we had told our current landlord and our future one that this move was pretty much a done deal, aside from crossing our t's, we no longer can afford to move to the bigger place unless I fill openings quick! I am so frustrated, I could cry right now.

Sorry for the vent.
Are you sure she's not using this as a way to get you to drop her fees?

She needs to give a full two week notice. If the change doesn't affect her drive time daily then there is no reason for her to use this as a time to skip out of your arrangement.
krystamichelle 05:39 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Are you sure she's not using this as a way to get you to drop her fees?

She needs to give a full two week notice. If the change doesn't affect her drive time daily then there is no reason for her to use this as a time to skip out of your arrangement.
I wish that were the case. I offered to work with her as far as the fees go, but she said that she already put in her notice at work. ETA: Per my contract, the lack of a two week notice just means that parents won't get the deposit fee returned to them (which, of course, she didn't ask for). I may have to change that for my future clients.
jen 05:54 AM 03-30-2011
I think I might be hesitant to take on a bigger place if it was dependent on always being full. We all know how daycare can be...there really is no guarantee of being full from month to month. We try to maintain our bills so that if one family were to leave, it wouldn't have too big an impact on our finances.
cheerfuldom 06:02 AM 03-30-2011
you shouldn't have closed that additional spot for her difficult son. It's too late now but you could have been getting paid for an extra kid this whole time. I wouldn't move but would advertise to fill those spots asap.
krystamichelle 06:19 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I think I might be hesitant to take on a bigger place if it was dependent on always being full. We all know how daycare can be...there really is no guarantee of being full from month to month. We try to maintain our bills so that if one family were to leave, it wouldn't have too big an impact on our finances.
I'm not actually full with the two that I have. I just didn't take on extras so that I could provide better care to my DCB. It's sad because he has adjusted so well, only to be removed from my home. I was actually feeling comfortable enough to take on 1-2 more before this, anyway.
krystamichelle 06:21 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
you shouldn't have closed that additional spot for her difficult son. It's too late now but you could have been getting paid for an extra kid this whole time. I wouldn't move but would advertise to fill those spots asap.
I know it wouldn't be wise to move, but I just hate the thought of missing out on this place. It's ridiculously large for the price, plus has a big, fenced in back yard. Not only is it ideal for childcare, it's ideal for our family (including our pets!).
cheerfuldom 06:28 AM 03-30-2011
well can you ask the new landlord to give you two more weeks to fill those spots? I wouldn't take the chance myself if you are already living paycheck to paycheck but maybe they will give you some wiggle room if you can find immediate replacements.
krystamichelle 06:51 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
well can you ask the new landlord to give you two more weeks to fill those spots? I wouldn't take the chance myself if you are already living paycheck to paycheck but maybe they will give you some wiggle room if you can find immediate replacements.
She is supposed to come today. I thought about seeing if she is willing to renegotiate the rent price for the first two months on the condition that we'll sign a longer lease or make it up in rent after I get more clients (or a new job...hopefully that's not my only option).
Tags:two week notice, vent
Reply Up