Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>State Funded- QUIT JOB- Terming anyway- WWYD?
jojosmommy 11:27 AM 08-02-2011
Long story short I have a state funded family that intended to leave me at the end of summer b/c their older kids are going to be in school, and they got the younger ones on scholarship to attend preschool. (Plus the mom told me she has worked 5 yrs now and wants a break so she is quitting her job. 5 WHOLE YEARS wow!)

Anyway, their last day was to be Aug 19th but since she quit her job early she doesnt really need daycare- no work no care. The rules in this area are such that I will be getting paid by the state until next Friday regardless of what she does and no matter if the kids attend or not. I am getting shorted 1 week pay Aug 15-19th b/c of her deciding she doesnt want to work any longer (they actually went on vacation the last week so she has been off work since July 22nd).

My husband says I should tell her today that tomorrow is their last day and she can deal with the consequences. Her case worker said I can do as I please as a provider and I just have to bill as absent days since that is how the state does things in this area. They have to provide you with a two week notice and even if the kids do not attend they have to pay. I asked her worker specifically if I should tell her that since she is NOT working she can not bring the kids and still bill as absent days and her response was "well she shouldnt NEED care if she isnt working......"

So what should I do? Let her kids come while she sits at home until next Friday even though I am getting shorted 1 week of pay based on the notice agreement she gave me OR tell her she isn't working so she doesn't need care and end it?
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 08-02-2011
I'd tell her that her last day is Friday. Not cool that she plans on leaving kids in care and having state pay for it although she isn't working.

If you do decide to keep them until the last day she told you, you could just bill the family for that last week and if they do not pay up at least if you notify her case worker they will not allow her to get CCAP if she owes any money to any other provider.
MarinaVanessa 01:27 PM 08-02-2011
I wouldn't feel bad for her if you told her that she couldn't come past this week. She isn't working and she doesn't need a daycare anymore. I bet she didn't think of you or how you would be inconvenienced and shorted pay if she quit earlier than what she had told you, right?
kidkair 02:26 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd tell her that her last day is Friday. Not cool that she plans on leaving kids in care and having state pay for it although she isn't working.

If you do decide to keep them until the last day she told you, you could just bill the family for that last week and if they do not pay up at least if you notify her case worker they will not allow her to get CCAP if she owes any money to any other provider.
Yes ^

I'd give her a bill stating what the county won't pay for at pick up today or tomorrow morning. I'd tell her the payment is due Monday morning at drop off and if she doesn't pay you will not provide her care for her last two weeks. And let her know you'll notify her worker that she hasn't paid her bill.
wdmmom 02:34 PM 08-02-2011
Tell her that in speaking with the worker for the childcare assistance, her childcare is terminated effective immediately as the state will not pay for childcare services if she isn't working.

Tell her that per your contract, you are owed $xx.xx and it is due by ____ (date.)

And leave it at that.
PitterPatter 04:57 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Long story short I have a state funded family that intended to leave me at the end of summer b/c their older kids are going to be in school, and they got the younger ones on scholarship to attend preschool. (Plus the mom told me she has worked 5 yrs now and wants a break so she is quitting her job. 5 WHOLE YEARS wow!)

Anyway, their last day was to be Aug 19th but since she quit her job early she doesnt really need daycare- no work no care. The rules in this area are such that I will be getting paid by the state until next Friday regardless of what she does and no matter if the kids attend or not. I am getting shorted 1 week pay Aug 15-19th b/c of her deciding she doesnt want to work any longer (they actually went on vacation the last week so she has been off work since July 22nd).

My husband says I should tell her today that tomorrow is their last day and she can deal with the consequences. Her case worker said I can do as I please as a provider and I just have to bill as absent days since that is how the state does things in this area. They have to provide you with a two week notice and even if the kids do not attend they have to pay. I asked her worker specifically if I should tell her that since she is NOT working she can not bring the kids and still bill as absent days and her response was "well she shouldnt NEED care if she isnt working......"

So what should I do? Let her kids come while she sits at home until next Friday even though I am getting shorted 1 week of pay based on the notice agreement she gave me OR tell her she isn't working so she doesn't need care and end it?
I wouldn't extend anymore care since she is no longer working there is no need. I could see if she got fired and was searching for a job and needed time to do so but quit just because she needs a break? PLEASE! It's nice that u are paid either way so I say drop them.

Here if the parent isn't working they are not allowed to use state providers and I don't get paid.
Tags:state funded, subsidy, terminate
Reply Up