Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents wont bring child's food :(
Unregistered 04:49 AM 02-01-2012
What would you do if you had parents who consistently aren't bringing their child breakfast? I do not provide breakfast. The parents supplied me with a box of oatmeal cereal for their 15 month old. I told them that she was getting bored with it and asked if they could bring something else. Nothing. A few days later, I wrote a note on her daily sheet that said that I will be out of oatmeal soon and that I need them to bring something else for her. Well, today I am out. They showed up today with her, and nothing. I already have a difficult time getting this child to eat at lunch time, and now they arent even supplying his breakfast. She refuses to be spoon fed, which is normal for a 15 month old, so to get her to eat the oatmeal I have had to put it in her bottle, just so she has some nutrients. I know that is not the greatest thing in the world but I have to give her some kind of nutrients. I am tempted to just feed her something today but not tell the parents, and let them think that she didn't have any breakfast today because she was out of her oatmeal.
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What would you do if you had parents who consistently aren't bringing their child breakfast? I do not provide breakfast. The parents supplied me with a box of oatmeal cereal for their 15 month old. I told them that she was getting bored with it and asked if they could bring something else. Nothing. A few days later, I wrote a note on her daily sheet that said that I will be out of oatmeal soon and that I need them to bring something else for her. Well, today I am out. They showed up today with her, and nothing. I already have a difficult time getting this child to eat at lunch time, and now they arent even supplying his breakfast. She refuses to be spoon fed, which is normal for a 15 month old, so to get her to eat the oatmeal I have had to put it in her bottle, just so she has some nutrients. I know that is not the greatest thing in the world but I have to give her some kind of nutrients. I am tempted to just feed her something today but not tell the parents, and let them think that she didn't have any breakfast today because she was out of her oatmeal.
Why are you even allowing this to happen? YOU need to speak up and not allow the child to come if you don't have food for her!!!

Seriously, it is pretty rediculous to that I even have to say this, but if the parent isn't bringing food as you require and you aren't speaking up and saying anything then YOU are guilty of neglecting the child by not making sure they have everything they need.

Parents don't always have the chance to read notes so although it is sometimes difficult to have backbone and address uncomfortable situations, you have a moral and ethical obligation to do what is right by the children you are providing care for!!

SPEAK up and either do not allow the child to be dropped off without the things you require or start providing breakfast!!
Heidi 08:31 AM 02-01-2012
Yep to Black cat!

Also. "just so you know, xx, since you did not provide breakfast for xx today, there will be an additional fee of $3 for breakfast today." If you do not want to provide breakfast, I will gladly do it for $3 per day, in advance....
Unregistered 08:39 AM 02-01-2012
Maybe I did not communicate the situation clearly. I HAVE told the parents, last week, on 2 separate occasions. I also wrote it down for them. I also mentioned something to them last night at dropoff that I needed something else today. I have told them, and it is in writing, that I only provide lunch. They are continuing to not bring anything.

Up until today, they had provided a box of oatmeal cereal. I told them last week that the child was about to be out of the oatmeal, that they does not like to be fed by a spoon, that I have had to add it to the bottle, and that they are bored with the oatmeal, so please bring something different.

Today way day 1 that the child was out of oatmeal. Of course, I did not allow the child to go hungry, that would be awful, and I provided some of my own child's food for breakfast. I do not want to continue to do that, however. If I wanted to do that I would charge more.

My point is that, despite multiple attempts, I don't know if they are forgetting or trying to take advantage or what- they just act as if they are unaware of the entire situation, and not bringing breakfast.
familyschoolcare 08:42 AM 02-01-2012
Op -- what time does the child get dropped off?

Do you offer a morning snack?
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 02-01-2012
After reviewing/explaining the policy with them, reminding then verbally, reminding them in writing.... the next plausible step would be to not let them in the door without it.

Send them back out for breakfast before returning.

It will only have to happen once.
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 02-01-2012
Maybe I did not communicate the situation clearly. I HAVE told the parents, last week, on 2 separate occasions. I also wrote it down for them. I also mentioned something to them last night at dropoff that I needed something else today. I have told them, and it is in writing, that I only provide lunch. They are continuing to not bring anything.

Up until today, they had provided a box of oatmeal cereal. I told them last week that the child was about to be out of the oatmeal, that they does not like to be fed by a spoon, that I have had to add it to the bottle, and that they are bored with the oatmeal, so please bring something different.

Today way day 1 that the child was out of oatmeal. Of course, I did not allow the child to go hungry, that would be awful, and I provided some of my own child's food for breakfast. I do not want to continue to do that, however. If I wanted to do that I would charge more.

My point is that, despite multiple attempts, I don't know if they are forgetting or trying to take advantage or what- they just act as if they are unaware of the entire situation, and not bringing breakfast.
Stop letting her stay.

Telling the parents something and then enforcing it are two different things.

Many people need communication to be open and frank for them to understand. It is often difficult for people to simply know what others are thinking and/or feeling, especially when you are not clearly communicating what it is you want. You are sending a mixed messages when you say one thing (bring food) but allow something different (allowing her to stay.)

Oh, and if you registered, you could post freely and not have to wait for your posts to be moderated.... unless you are already aware of that....
familyschoolcare 08:54 AM 02-01-2012

Unregistered 08:57 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:

7:15 am.

I do morning snack at 9:30, lunch at 12, and pm snack at 3:30
countrymom 09:12 AM 02-01-2012
either charge them at the end of the bill, or just buy the food. I provide food for the kids because I just don't have time to deal with things like this. Also, this way *I* know what the child likes. And a box of cereal is 3 dollars the most and lasts a long time, its not expensive. Also, some parents don't care, you can tell them over and over again, they just don't care. Thats when you take matter into your own hands and just buy the stuff.
familyschoolcare 09:16 AM 02-01-2012
I know 15 months is a little young for this but what would happen to the childs snack and lunch hungery level if you just did not feed her breakfast. If the child is getting up shortly before getting to your house like 6:30 then The child may not be awake enougph to eat yet. Like I said I knw 15 months is a little young to try this and I am not at your house to see the child and detrimine if she looks and acts healthy overall, so that is a judgement call you will need to make.
Christian Mother 09:37 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
either charge them at the end of the bill, or just buy the food. I provide food for the kids because I just don't have time to deal with things like this. Also, this way *I* know what the child likes. And a box of cereal is 3 dollars the most and lasts a long time, its not expensive. Also, some parents don't care, you can tell them over and over again, they just don't care. Thats when you take matter into your own hands and just buy the stuff.
I agree with this totally!!

I take matters into my hands and wouldn't wait for them to provide. If it wasn't given the day after I asked for it then that day I go out and buy it after daycare. And the parents foot the bill. I tell them at drop off that day by providing them a receipt for them to add to the bill the beginning of the week. I've never had any problems with this. Usually the parents say their really sorry they keep forgetting or they provide it for me quickly. But their are times though they've walked in and say they forgot diapers or something...I either have extra's or I make a trip to the store with them if I have room in the car that day. But the parents are really good about covering the cost.
Crazy8 09:50 AM 02-01-2012
are you sure she didn't eat breakfast at home this morning?? You say you've told them but what exactly is their response?? I would not have let her stay today without food in hand or some mention about the situation. That is the part YOU can control. If you require them to bring breakfast do not let her in without it. If you have snack 2 hours after she comes in she would have just waited till then to eat - I have kids who come in after bfast is over with their bfast and I just give it to them at snack time (it is in my contract that child needs to have eaten at home if arriving after our bfast time). I send home a daily sheet and it would just indicate that she didn't have breakfast today.
JenNJ 09:58 AM 02-01-2012
Ok, IF this were to happen to me, this would be how I would handle it. Today I would feed the child. I would type up the following letter at naptime.

"Dear Irresponsible Parent,

Baby Timmy was dropped off today without breakfast. I told you verbally on ___ date, ____ date and ___ date that Timmy needed food. I wrote a reminder on ____ date as well. This is unacceptable.

I fed Timmy breakfast this morning. I have attached a bill for breakfast today. This charge is $5 for food and a $10 inconvenience fee.

There are two solutions to the breakfast issue. Solution #1 is that you will bring a week's worth of breakfast food for Timmy each Friday for the upcoming week. If food is not dropped off on Friday, I will refuse care until his food is stocked here. Solution #2 is that I will prepare Timmy's breakfast each day. The charge for this is $25 per week. This service MUST be booked in advance on Fridays for the upcoming week. If you request this service with less than 24 hours notice, the $10 inconvenience fee applies.

Thank you for your attention to this matter."
Heidi 10:13 AM 02-01-2012

A bottle for a 15month old? With oatmeal in it?

No offense intended, but a 15mo old should be eating almost completely independently, and should have put the bottle behind her about 3 months ago! I serve oatmeal to my toddlers extra thick, so it cuts down the mess a little.

I say, give them a choice of going back for food, or charge them for breakfast. On the spot! They do NOT leave their child in care without food.

Have you considered joining the food program? Besides being reimbursed, they offer nutrition training, and I just got a mini-grant with really cool nutrition/excercise stuff!
renodeb 10:37 AM 02-01-2012
Maybe it would be a good idea to have a back up food incase this happens again. I would go to the store tonight, buy her whatever she eats normally and present them with the receipt. I have in my contract that if I need to buy any of the required items that I will attach the receipt as proof and add it to there bill. Its a great deterent, I have only had to do it twice in 6 years!
Debbie
Unregistered 10:40 AM 02-01-2012
I agree- a bottle for a 15 month old is rediculous, but the parents still have her on formula and want her on bottles every 3 hours. It doesn't bother me so I comply with their wishes. I think they still want her to be a baby maybe? Not sure. Yes, infant oatmeal in the bottle- a little bit over the top, but it is what had to be done to get the child nutrition. It is probably good that she is on formula because she needs the extra bit imho.

I should have told them this morning not to return until they brought food for her for breakfast, but I didn't I will tell them tonight that I can't take her until I have some real food to serve her at breakfast time.
itlw8 11:24 AM 02-01-2012
If that child is having a bottle every 3 hours no wonder she won't eat. She is not hungry.

as far as lunch offer the food first then put the formula in a cup

If the parents will not send food and not the infant cereal either. Tell them the child must be fed ( sounds like they think the bottle they gave that morning is breakfast) or the next meal is snack.
MissK 09:55 AM 02-02-2012
My little guy is almost 14 months old and has been done with his bottle since before he turned 1. I couldn't imagine keeping him on formula and cereal only. He isn't even a big fan of food I have to spoon feed him because he wants to pick things up and feed himself. That kid needs some FOOD!! lol
I agree with what others have said above - definitely say something to them (again) and put your foot down, let them know that she needs to either be fed an actual breakfast, supply you with food for her or pay you extra each week.
Being a DCP myself I could never imagine not bringing necessities to daycare with my little guy, but I honestly can also see how it would be hard to have to feed my child breakfast that early in the morning. I'm happy paying the amount I do for daycare to have him eat breakfast, lunch and snack at daycare.
Tags:age appropriate - baby food, enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up