Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nannyde Released Her New Book! - Doing Daycare
Michael 10:46 PM 09-15-2014
The book is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble but Tori was kind enough to give us an excerpt titled "The Boss of Me Parent". You can read it here on our blog: https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-...-me-parent.htm

We at Daycare.com are excited for Tori (nannyde) and wish her much success as a writer and consultant for providers and parents. We think she has a bright future.


Reply
coolconfidentme 04:47 AM 09-16-2014
Sa'weeeeet!
http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare
Reply
midaycare 06:21 AM 09-16-2014
Hooray! Way to go!
Reply
GoodKarma 06:56 AM 09-16-2014
I just bought it! Can't wait to read it!
Congrats!
Reply
AmyKidsCo 07:40 AM 09-16-2014
Congrats NannyDe! Can't wait to read it!
Reply
nannyde 09:26 AM 09-16-2014
Thank you Michael very much. We hit number one in Daycare books on Barnes and Nobel yesterday! Working on Number 3 while Number 2 is being edited. We are going to pit another chapter up next week from Number 1.
Reply
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 09-16-2014
Hmm, sounds interesting.....

Wonder if it's worth reading?
Reply
KidGrind 12:01 PM 09-16-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hmm, sounds interesting.....

Wonder if it's worth reading?
There is a very very bad pooty cat roaming this site.
Reply
proudmommyofthree 12:57 PM 09-16-2014
Congrats!! Can't wait to read it
Reply
KayB 01:01 PM 09-16-2014
This might be a dumb question ...but is this only available on a kindle? I can't seem to find it available in a book.
Reply
nannyde 01:11 PM 09-16-2014
Originally Posted by KayB:
This might be a dumb question ...but is this only available on a kindle? I can't seem to find it available in a book.
We have it on Amazon and Barnes and Nobel. The print book is coming soon but its way more expensive. The printer gets most of the money... and Amazon gets its cut. We actually make a little less per book but so many people want it on paper so they can use it for a quick reference... text book style... so we went thru the hoops to have it available in print. As soon as I receive the galley copy I will post a pic here and let you know the ETA for it.
Reply
KayB 01:13 PM 09-16-2014
Great! Thank you so much! I am a highlighter person so would like a book. But can certainly understand the reasoning behind not wanting to go that route just yet!
Reply
nannyde 01:17 PM 09-16-2014
Originally Posted by KayB:
Great! Thank you so much! I am a highlighter person so would like a book. But can certainly understand the reasoning behind not wanting to go that route just yet!
We decided to put the whole series in print so no worries!
Reply
lynne 08:06 PM 09-16-2014
Just bought it! Way to go Nan!

Reply
Michael 09:52 PM 09-16-2014
Those that have bought the book should gives Tori feedback either here or by PM. It would be of interest to gather your feedback.
Reply
coolconfidentme 05:16 AM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We have it on Amazon and Barnes and Nobel. The print book is coming soon but its way more expensive. The printer gets most of the money... and Amazon gets its cut. We actually make a little less per book but so many people want it on paper so they can use it for a quick reference... text book style... so we went thru the hoops to have it available in print. As soon as I receive the galley copy I will post a pic here and let you know the ETA for it.
Doesn't Amazon have a print as it's purchased program? I remember reading this when my son was writing his book. I thought he used it.
Reply
daycarediva 05:47 AM 09-17-2014
I bought a copy too. LOVED IT! It's her classic tell it like it is style. I identified some of my daycare parents in it, and got some great ideas on how to handle them, too. I highly recommend it. Great job Tori!
Reply
KidGrind 07:44 AM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:
Those that have bought the book should gives Tori feedback either here or by PM. It would be of interest to gather your feedback.
I brought the book. It’s my favorite all-time daycare purchase. I love almost the entire read. Pig Pen or the State Assisted chapters were my least favorite chapters. I think NannyDe is spot on. Those chapters just didn’t keep me giggling and snorting like most of her book. I will definitely be buying the paperback version. I wrote a review and spoke to NannyDe. So she knows I’m one of her biggest overweight cheerleaders holding a donut and cup of coffee instead of pom poms.

I am actually going to purchase half a dozen to include in the parent’s registration/welcome aboard packet. I am also thinking about making it a Christmas gift to all my parents currently enrolled.
Reply
nannyde 10:41 AM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Doesn't Amazon have a print as it's purchased program? I remember reading this when my son was writing his book. I thought he used it.
Yup it's called square reader or something like that. We have submitted the manuscript and are waiting for the galley copy. As soon as we get it, if it's ok, we will let you guys know. We plan to paperback all of the series if there is a demand. For this one, there has been a ton of demand especially from the ones who already have the electronic version. It is kinda like a textbook so it will be helpful in print for notes.

I really wanted to just do a binder version but my partner is concerned that it would come off as unprofessional if we did that. If I were new to daycare, I would want it as a folder that I could mark up, take notes, highlight, and stick stickies on. The content is thick in some of the sections and if you didn't run into that parent yet... it would take some review to learn them when you first met.

So maybe we will do a trial run of a hundred copies of one of the series and see if it would sell in plain notebook style we could print, place in a binder, and ship media mail. If there is a counter market for it we will try it. (If I can get her to agree ;-)
Reply
Lynn825 11:28 AM 09-17-2014
Nannyde rocks!!! Can't wait to read this!
Reply
hope 11:34 AM 09-17-2014
I bought the online version and plan on buying the paper back when it comes out. I have re read many of the chapters. I did skip over the state aid chapter because I have never dealt with that and don't plan on ever. I read many chapters to my DH and had him guess which parents that chapter described.
Reply
nannyde 04:01 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I bought the online version and plan on buying the paper back when it comes out. I have re read many of the chapters. I did skip over the state aid chapter because I have never dealt with that and don't plan on ever. I read many chapters to my DH and had him guess which parents that chapter described.


We need to make a board game!
Reply
daycare 04:04 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:


We need to make a board game!
lol... I showed my asst this and they laughed and said what a great game that they would play at the parents expense.
Reply
hope 04:27 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:


We need to make a board game!
Nannyde, you are filled with great ideas! I can see my subs and I playing the board game with a glass of wine!
Reply
nannyde 04:44 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
Nannyde, you are filled with great ideas! I can see my subs and I playing the board game with a glass of wine!
I'll see you a MyChild and raise ya a Creeper Dad!
Reply
Josiegirl 04:11 AM 09-18-2014
Great reviews on Amazon! I can't wait for the paper version!
I'd be anxious to hear parents POV about your book, it sounds like most if not all the amazon reviews are providers.
Reply
nannyde 06:38 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Great reviews on Amazon! I can't wait for the paper version!
I'd be anxious to hear parents POV about your book, it sounds like most if not all the amazon reviews are providers.
I see two parent ones. One of them is funny about Creeper Dad
Reply
nannyde 11:48 AM 09-18-2014
The review on Creeper Dad: "And lastly, I will comment on all you single, disgusting, "Can't get a date, creeper Dad" parents. EEEEEWWWWWEEE!!!!!!! Oh. My. GOD. Could you be anymore disgusting? They have websites for you, jail cells for you and stores for you. Your providers house is NOT on that list for a reason."



I WISH I could be that funny.
Reply
AmyKidsCo 01:00 PM 09-23-2014
Finally had a chance to read the excerpt and I love this part, especially the parts I highlighted:
If a parent requests their child to be up during a nap, I say, “I do not provide that service.” If a parent wants me to hold their baby while she sleeps I say, “I do not provide that service”. If a parent wants a schedule change I say, “I provide that service for an additional fee of $X”. I do not spend time judging whether the request is reasonable or in the best interest of the child. That is the parent’s job, not mine. My role is to agree to provide it or decline the offer to provide it.

Michael - will the excerpt be available forever? I'd love to add it to the required reading list for my tech college students!
Reply
nannyde 01:02 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Finally had a chance to read the excerpt and I love this part, especially the parts I highlighted:
If a parent requests their child to be up during a nap, I say, “I do not provide that service.” If a parent wants me to hold their baby while she sleeps I say, “I do not provide that service”. If a parent wants a schedule change I say, “I provide that service for an additional fee of $X”. I do not spend time judging whether the request is reasonable or in the best interest of the child. That is the parent’s job, not mine. My role is to agree to provide it or decline the offer to provide it.

Michael - will the excerpt be available forever? I'd love to add it to the required reading list for my tech college students!
Thank you Amy! I think you should make the whole book required reading or extra credit!

We will keep this excerpt on the blog. We will post another excerpt this week if that's ok by Michael.
Reply
hsdcmama 01:05 PM 09-23-2014
Read it. Loved it! Honestly this book came out at just the right time, when I was feeling so defeated and doubting everything about myself. Then I read the book and realized -- it's not me! I am not required to be everything to everybody, and I don't have to put up with people treating me like crap. Thanks so much nannyde for putting this together. I can't wait to read the next installments.
Reply
Michael 01:27 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Michael - will the excerpt be available forever? I'd love to add it to the required reading list for my tech college students!
Yes, until the sun burns out.

Originally Posted by nannyde:
Thank you Amy! I think you should make the whole book required reading or extra credit!

We will keep this excerpt on the blog. We will post another excerpt this week if that's ok by Michael.
Yes, of course we will post another.
Reply
Tags:book suggestions, daycare experiences, nannyde
Reply Up