Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Who Are Healthcare Workers
HL0605 07:38 AM 03-18-2020
To those providers whose dcps are healthcare workers, are you concerned about their children continuing to come to daycare? I have two part time families with parents who work in hospitals. One family has decided to stay home, knowing that the dad (Dr) will be exposed to the illness. I'm concerned about allowing the other family to continue to attend. This mom is a nurse in a hospital. All of my other families have parents who are working from home, so the risk is clearly less with them. I would feel horrible asking the nurse kiddo to stay home, but I do know that they have access to childcare in their home. It just feels wrong to tell them to stay out, obviously without charge, but I'm so worried. What would you do?
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by HL0605:
To those providers whose dcps are healthcare workers, are you concerned about their children continuing to come to daycare? I have two part time families with parents who work in hospitals. One family has decided to stay home, knowing that the dad (Dr) will be exposed to the illness. I'm concerned about allowing the other family to continue to attend. This mom is a nurse in a hospital. All of my other families have parents who are working from home, so the risk is clearly less with them. I would feel horrible asking the nurse kiddo to stay home, but I do know that they have access to childcare in their home. It just feels wrong to tell them to stay out, obviously without charge, but I'm so worried. What would you do?
The parents in the health care etc profession are the ONLY parents I am providing care for now. All other non-essential workers are excluded from coming.

I have gone to staggered/scheduled drop offs and pick ups with ZERO entry to the house for everyone but the daycare child.
Unregistered 12:29 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by HL0605:
No, i'm not concerned because we're probability all going to be exposed to this at some point (It's lose in the world now like the flu)
and my household family is not high risk. Of course I don't dare visit any one over 65 or high risk right now.

That seems scary but what's scarier is our health care system is not prepared because the virus is moving too fast. Thats why were putting the breaks on it by stopping our normal patterns of life so the health care system can prepare for the surge when normal life resumes. If they're prepared death rates go down and full recovery rates all go up.

Providers in my state are being asked to help because we really can make a difference in the outcomes by supporting first responders child care needs. I'm mitigating our risk by not allowing drops in right now but I have 2 openings I will offer to 2 children.

"Look for the Helpers!“ (we are the helpers)
DaveA 12:57 PM 03-18-2020
My 2 healthcare DCPs are both lab/ diagnostic people. With the policies/ procedures in place they’re more likely to be exposed stopping to get gas on the way to work than while at work.
AmyKidsCo 01:31 PM 03-18-2020
I'm not because IME healthcare providers are way more careful to protect themselves and make sure they don't spread anything. A past mom had me in stitches telling the story of how she stripped in her garage then streaked into the house after treating a patient who had bedbugs. BTW - it was a detached garage.
Cat Herder 03:27 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'm not because IME healthcare providers are way more careful to protect themselves and make sure they don't spread anything. A past mom had me in stitches telling the story of how she stripped in her garage then streaked into the house after treating a patient who had bedbugs. BTW - it was a detached garage.
That cracks me up because my experience with them is the exact opposite.
Ariana 05:00 PM 03-18-2020
If they have care at home I would exclude, if not I would keep providing care or would find someone else able to do it for them. Healthcare workers would be the only profession I would be going out of my way for at this time.
Jo123ABC 08:40 PM 03-18-2020
I am concerned as well but I have high risk factors in my family. 1. I'm 34 weeks pregnant 2. My husband had open heart surgery last year and is on blood thinners, he also has menieres disease (vertigo spells, hearing loss) he's only 36 though and is healthy otherwise! 3. My 3 year old has recurring croup episodes with even the smallest colds which are still unmanaged (pediatric pulmonolgist visit in May isn't going to help us out much now ). 4. My husband's parents are both Ill (mom has ms, dad had a lung and heart transplant 20something years ago and the steroids/meds he takes for that have been hard on his kidneys for that long). 5. My dad is diabetic. If I didn't have all of THAT going on I'd probably jump in to help out those first responder families but I'm just too scared for my own family.
Unregistered 04:36 AM 03-19-2020
Hi All, I'm going to register today and join. This article has me very worried about taking on the children of medical staff and first responders.
HL0605 12:24 PM 03-21-2020
Thanks for the input everyone! I ended up telling her yesterday that I would be unable to care for him going forward. I apologized and let her know that I would be happy to have him back when this is all over, but who knows how long that will be. She was not angry, but did say she was sad about it. So am I.

As of right now all of my clients have both parents working from home and practicing social distancing. It makes me feel a little better about staying open.
Tags:contagious diseases, contagious diseases - covid-19, exclusion policy, healthcare providers
Reply Up