Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Michigan Providers/COVID19
lovemykidstoo 06:56 AM 03-25-2020
Hello my Michigan providers. Just wondering how things are around the state! I'm in Saginaw Twp and haven't had my daycare since August, but I have had so many conversations with my husband about how I would have been handling it and the worry about having kids/parents coming in every day.

I work now in a production setting and we are still working. We work with a product that is called polysilicon and we have to wear "clean" suits when working to protect the product. It's basically a hazmat suit without the respirator. Since the mandatory travel ban from the governor, a guy I work with yesterday morning got pulled over. The cop wanted to know where he was going, so now we have letters to carry in our car saying we are working.

So wondering about your business and how your city/town is handing it. We have zero toilet paper in our town it's ridiculous. I'm down to 9 rolls for 4 of us!
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
We have zero toilet paper in our town it's ridiculous. I'm down to 9 rolls for 4 of us!
My husband stopped at UPS yesterday to pick up a package. He waited in line behind a guy.

Guy commented "Most expensive toilet paper ever."

Turns out he just paid $29 to ship 6 rolls of toilet paper to relatives in another state. Oye`
Gemma 09:46 AM 03-25-2020
Hello my Michigan providers. Just wondering how things are around the state! I'm in Saginaw Twp and haven't had my daycare since August, but I have had so many conversations with my husband about how I would have been handling it and the worry about having kids/parents coming in every day.

I work now in a production setting and we are still working. We work with a product that is called polysilicon and we have to wear "clean" suits when working to protect the product. It's basically a hazmat suit without the respirator. Since the mandatory travel ban from the governor, a guy I work with yesterday morning got pulled over. The cop wanted to know where he was going, so now we have letters to carry in our car saying we are working.

So wondering about your business and how your city/town is handing it. We have zero toilet paper in our town it's ridiculous. I'm down to 9 rolls for 4 of us!
Good to see you!
I'm still open but only for parents critical to the infrastructure (learned a new term) and for limited hours x day.
All paper products, along with disinfectants, disappeared from store shelves the day after the first US case was confirmed, or more than tripled in price (I'm glad the AG put a stop to that)

So, how is life after Daycare?
lovemykidstoo 10:02 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My husband stopped at UPS yesterday to pick up a package. He waited in line behind a guy.

Guy commented "Most expensive toilet paper ever."

Turns out he just paid $29 to ship 6 rolls of toilet paper to relatives in another state. Oye`
Oh my gosh!!! My sister in law always has a stockpile, so if we get desperate we have a dealer haha
lovemykidstoo 10:05 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Good to see you!
I'm still open but only for parents critical to the infrastructure (learned a new term) and for limited hours x day.
All paper products, along with disinfectants, disappeared from store shelves the day after the first US case was confirmed, or more than tripled in price (I'm glad the AG put a stop to that)

So, how is life after Daycare?
Good to see you too! Life is good. Not the best company to work for, but at the end of the day I get to walk out the door and not deal with anything! Plus I only work 3 days 1 week and 4 days the next. They are 12 hour days, but I get a 30 minute break every 3 hours. So really I only work about 14 to 16 days a month! I did just get a substitute paraprofessional job at our local elementary school working with cognitively impaired and autistic children. Of course now the schools are closed, I hope to pick that up in the fall.

Where are you in Michigan I can't remember. How are people reacting in your city? We have 8 cases in our county of about 200,000. My 2 kids are home from college (19 and 22 years old) and my husband is lucky enough to work from home.
Gemma 10:33 AM 03-25-2020
Good to see you too! Life is good. Not the best company to work for, but at the end of the day I get to walk out the door and not deal with anything! Plus I only work 3 days 1 week and 4 days the next. They are 12 hour days, but I get a 30 minute break every 3 hours. So really I only work about 14 to 16 days a month! I did just get a substitute paraprofessional job at our local elementary school working with cognitively impaired and autistic children. Of course now the schools are closed, I hope to pick that up in the fall.

Where are you in Michigan I can't remember. How are people reacting in your city? We have 8 cases in our county of about 200,000. My 2 kids are home from college (19 and 22 years old) and my husband is lucky enough to work from home.
I'm in Oakland County, last time I checked there were over 400 confirmed cases.
I have a DCP that's been struggling since February with viral pneumonia, and a DCK that was diagnosed with pneumonia a week ago, I can't help but wondering if they could have the virus, which would mean my family and I would probably do too
I was asked to participate in the relief program and take in more kids, but hubby talked me out of it.
morgan24 11:43 AM 03-25-2020
I’m in west Michigan in a small town. I closed because I’m 60 and I have an autoimmune disease. I also help my 85 year old Dad. My local grocery store hasn’t had toilet paper for a week but has everything else I need. The Walmart and Meijer in the town 12 miles away hasn’t had it either and their shelves were pretty empty when I went there. I plan on staying home until I have to go search for toilet paper. Stay safe and healthy everyone!
BumbleBee 03:46 PM 03-25-2020
SW Michigan here. Providing care for dependants of critical infrastructure workers currently, as allowed by the mandate. Out of 20 enrolled, I have 4 that need care.

We're just taking it one day at a time. We have enough supplies. Shortages everywhere. We're just keeping to ourselves and doing our thing.

My assistant is home until the mandate expires or is rescinded. Thankfully I set aside some $$ when this all started so I could give her some paid time off.

I miss her. I miss having an adult to talk to, especially during nap time.

Overall things are going ok.
lovemykidstoo 04:36 PM 03-25-2020
I'm in Oakland County, last time I checked there were over 400 confirmed cases.
I have a DCP that's been struggling since February with viral pneumonia, and a DCK that was diagnosed with pneumonia a week ago, I can't help but wondering if they could have the virus, which would mean my family and I would probably do too
I was asked to participate in the relief program and take in more kids, but hubby talked me out of it.
I've been watching Oakland County's numbers. My sons girlfriend lives in Northville. He hasn't seen her in a couple of weeks and is going nuts poor kid. So are people flipping out with 400 cases? I know that Oakland is like the 2nd largest in the state.

Will they test those people that have pneumonia? My uncle last month had a horrible pneumonia and almost was hospitalized. He did recover but I have to wonder. It was just before all this hit here. My friend also had a bad case. They tested her for influenza and it was negative, but I have to wonder about her too.
lovemykidstoo 04:40 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
SW Michigan here. Providing care for dependants of critical infrastructure workers currently, as allowed by the mandate. Out of 20 enrolled, I have 4 that need care.

We're just taking it one day at a time. We have enough supplies. Shortages everywhere. We're just keeping to ourselves and doing our thing.

My assistant is home until the mandate expires or is rescinded. Thankfully I set aside some $$ when this all started so I could give her some paid time off.

I miss her. I miss having an adult to talk to, especially during nap time.

Overall things are going ok.
I just don't get the TP shortage lol. I think it will be out for quite awhile. I bet you do miss your assistant! How many have it where you live?
lovemykidstoo 04:44 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I’m in west Michigan in a small town. I closed because I’m 60 and I have an autoimmune disease. I also help my 85 year old Dad. My local grocery store hasn’t had toilet paper for a week but has everything else I need. The Walmart and Meijer in the town 12 miles away hasn’t had it either and their shelves were pretty empty when I went there. I plan on staying home until I have to go search for toilet paper. Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Stay healthy! I hope that you aren't exposed.
Gemma 02:06 AM 03-26-2020
I've been watching Oakland County's numbers. My sons girlfriend lives in Northville. He hasn't seen her in a couple of weeks and is going nuts poor kid. So are people flipping out with 400 cases? I know that Oakland is like the 2nd largest in the state.

Will they test those people that have pneumonia? My uncle last month had a horrible pneumonia and almost was hospitalized. He did recover but I have to wonder. It was just before all this hit here. My friend also had a bad case. They tested her for influenza and it was negative, but I have to wonder about her too.
Yup, they too were tested for the flu and when test came back negative they were given a chest xray that revealed the pneumonia..no one that I know of has been tested for COVID=19, even though many displayed symptoms
No one around me is freaking out, many are convinced either that they already got it back in late January-February, or that they will have mild symptoms if they get it.
I feel bad for your son, and for everyone else who has to keep away from their loved ones.
Is your daughter at a higher risk because of her heart surgery?
lovemykidstoo 07:16 AM 03-26-2020
Yup, they too were tested for the flu and when test came back negative they were given a chest xray that revealed the pneumonia..no one that I know of has been tested for COVID=19, even though many displayed symptoms
No one around me is freaking out, many are convinced either that they already got it back in late January-February, or that they will have mild symptoms if they get it.
I feel bad for your son, and for everyone else who has to keep away from their loved ones.
Is your daughter at a higher risk because of her heart surgery?
Do you know anyone that has had it with mild symptoms? Last month I had a raw throat for a week. It was so bad, but never a fever or anything so it probably was just a sore throat.

Thank you for remembering about my daughter! Actually she is healthier now that she had it. I thought of that though. I was thinking if she were to get it and had that heart problem that we didn't know about, we may have lost her. She could have went into Vfib and not come out of it.
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 03-26-2020
Oh my gosh!!! My sister in law always has a stockpile, so if we get desperate we have a dealer haha

Gemma 09:09 AM 03-26-2020
Do you know anyone that has had it with mild symptoms?
No. I (and everyone else around here) don't know ANYONE who's been tested, not even friends of friends of friends...so we're all just wondering, guessing, hoping...we cannot know for sure if they don't test anyone

What we do know is that around January and February, several people (DCKs, DCPs,family, friends..), displayed a lot of the same symptoms.... those who went to the doctor/hospital were ALL diagnosed with a viral respiratory track infection but tested negative for the known viruses. What was different about this year sickness, is that the symptoms went up and down in severity, it was if the sickness kept reoccurring over and over in the same person. One day you thought someone was all better, only to learn they were sicker than ever withing a day or two later.

One DCP thought after days of being miserable, that she was finally almost over it, the next day she ended up in the hospital in a panic cause she couldn't breath..she had ALL the symptoms fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing, extreme fatigue...., but that was before they reported the first US case, so no one even thought
she could be infected with the Coronavirus...she was dismissed the same day, her illness was diagnosed as pneumonia (like all the severe cases) and weeks after that she is still fighting her symptoms, yet no one suggest she gets tested

There is a lot I don't understand about this whole thing!
lovemykidstoo 12:15 PM 03-26-2020
No. I (and everyone else around here) don't know ANYONE who's been tested, not even friends of friends of friends...so we're all just wondering, guessing, hoping...we cannot know for sure if they don't test anyone

What we do know is that around January and February, several people (DCKs, DCPs,family, friends..), displayed a lot of the same symptoms.... those who went to the doctor/hospital were ALL diagnosed with a viral respiratory track infection but tested negative for the known viruses. What was different about this year sickness, is that the symptoms went up and down in severity, it was if the sickness kept reoccurring over and over in the same person. One day you thought someone was all better, only to learn they were sicker than ever withing a day or two later.

One DCP thought after days of being miserable, that she was finally almost over it, the next day she ended up in the hospital in a panic cause she couldn't breath..she had ALL the symptoms fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing, extreme fatigue...., but that was before they reported the first US case, so no one even thought
she could be infected with the Coronavirus...she was dismissed the same day, her illness was diagnosed as pneumonia (like all the severe cases) and weeks after that she is still fighting her symptoms, yet no one suggest she gets tested

There is a lot I don't understand about this whole thing!
Boy those cases sure sound like this virus! So has all of them recovered now?
Gemma 01:37 PM 03-26-2020
Boy those cases sure sound like this virus! So has all of them recovered now?
Most of them did, they just can't get rid of the cough, others seem to be on a never ending cycle, they're fine for a few days and then they get all the symptoms back.
284878 06:40 AM 03-28-2020
My niece was in Italy over the summer with the same symptoms, they (her mom and her) blew it off as her asthma acting up in a new country. The roommate that she was paired up with was from China.
My other sister went through symptoms like Gemma friends, she kept going back to the doctor and would get dignosed differently each time.

As for my DC, out of eight enrolled, I have three coming. With the pt schedules they have, one family comes MW and the other TTh. DH is working from home for now and my two kids, especially my oldest is getting cabin fever.
BumbleBee 06:46 AM 03-28-2020
I just don't get the TP shortage lol. I think it will be out for quite awhile. I bet you do miss your assistant! How many have it where you live?
We have 3 confirmed cases in my county. Like many others, I believe there's many others who have had it or currently have it that aren't eligible for testing. Or it's mild enough that it's not requiring medical care.
lovemykidstoo 05:26 PM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
My niece was in Italy over the summer with the same symptoms, they (her mom and her) blew it off as her asthma acting up in a new country. The roommate that she was paired up with was from China.
My other sister went through symptoms like Gemma friends, she kept going back to the doctor and would get dignosed differently each time.

As for my DC, out of eight enrolled, I have three coming. With the pt schedules they have, one family comes MW and the other TTh. DH is working from home for now and my two kids, especially my oldest is getting cabin fever.
Crazy! I think it's been around alot alot longer than they think or are saying.
lovemykidstoo 05:27 PM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
We have 3 confirmed cases in my county. Like many others, I believe there's many others who have had it or currently have it that aren't eligible for testing. Or it's mild enough that it's not requiring medical care.
We are up to 36 in Saginaw County. Like you said though so many are mild so they either attribute it to something else or aren't tested, so you have to wonder what the true number is.
Tags:coronavirus, coronavirus - management, covid-19, covid-19 - procedures, daycare - life after, life after daycare, michigan regulations
Reply Up