Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Craigslist Ads
alyssyn 08:27 AM 06-15-2010
I placed my first ad on Craigslist last night and have gotten responses internationally. Do those of you that place an ad on Craigslist also get these replies to your ad? If so, do you answer or just let it go? These are replies saying that they are coming to the states for work and need childcare. I'm just really skeptical.
jen 08:33 AM 06-15-2010
Its spam! Hit delete!
TGT09 08:38 AM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Its spam! Hit delete!
Absolutely spam! ALL I got off of Craigslist is spam! Totally not worth it to me!
Talena 08:42 AM 06-15-2010
it's a scam I answered one and they have sent me a check but then they wanted me to send them money western union.
Greenshadow 08:44 AM 06-15-2010
Sounds like spam to me too! i seem to be very lucky with Craigslist in my area, which I wasnt where we used to live. You have to be careful and if it smells like a scam, it probably IS one!
alyssyn 08:47 AM 06-15-2010
Thanks for the responses! I thought it smelled funny! I'm going to delete these ASAP!!
gbcc 08:48 AM 06-15-2010
It's a scam. They tell you they want childcare and send you a check for over the amount in childcare. They then ask you to just send them cash for the extra money. After you send the cash to them your bank will notify you the check was a fake and you owe the bank that amount of money. It has never happened to me, but I know a couple people here in NY that were dumb enough to fall for it.
TGT09 08:48 AM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
Sounds like spam to me too! i seem to be very lucky with Craigslist in my area, which I wasnt where we used to live. You have to be careful and if it smells like a scam, it probably IS one!
I was really surprised to not get anyone off of it. That's good that you do...I hadn't heard anyone have a positive experience with them!
katie 09:17 AM 06-15-2010
I put my ad on craigslist. I got about 15-20 of those scams. Delete! Then I got my first dcb from it. She has worked out great so far. She is even sending me a coworker to interview tonight! I think my success was rare though. I got a gazillion ad and spam too.
melissa ann 10:19 AM 06-15-2010
I don't post on craigslist because when I did, all I got was spam. I got those international responses and even some where they could help me earn money.
tymaboy 10:29 AM 06-15-2010
When ever I post something on CL I do not put my # & tell people to put NOT SPAM in the subject line that way I know it is a real response & delete all other without bothering to read.
misol 10:35 AM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I was really surprised to not get anyone off of it. That's good that you do...I hadn't heard anyone have a positive experience with them!
I've had great success with Craigslist also. I got all my families from there. I have never received any international spam responses but I have received replies telling me how I can make $5000 a week
SunflowerMama 10:53 AM 06-15-2010
I've gotten all my families except one from CL...love it!! And I get those international responses all the time from my CL posts. Just delete...they are spam.
gbcc 11:03 AM 06-15-2010
I have def. gotten more spam than clients but about half of my clients are from craigslist.
Greenshadow 11:12 AM 06-15-2010
Ok, so if dont use craigslist for gaining business, what DO you use?

My first child was from an ad that I saw on Craigslist from the mom looking for care. The second one I found on Care.Com. The third one was an ad I saw on Craigslist from a mom looking for care and so was the fourth. So I guess my placing ads, now that I think about it, hasnt brought me ANY business! LMAO!!
Lilbutterflie 11:26 AM 06-15-2010
I had excellent success with Craigslist!! That's how I got the family of 3 I have now. I received no spam, and about 5 legit responses from it.
MarinaVanessa 11:26 AM 06-15-2010
Yes it's spam. I got these also. I just forward them to my fiance's boss (DA) and they look into it. Not all of them are actually out of the country, they just say they are. Most are people in the states saying they are from out of the country. They say they need you and are willing to pay in advance +cost of toys and they want to give a money order or cashier type of check but international. I guess what they do is send you the payment and wait until you deposit it (takes a while) then cancel services with you by saying that they aren't needed after all and ask for the money (or part of the money) to be wired back to them and then they cancel the funds in the deposit so you just ended up wiring them money and no deposit from them, you get *ssed out.
professionalmom 01:20 PM 06-15-2010
What I love is when you live at least an hour away from a big city and they say they are coming to your area because they are a model working for Boss Perfume, etc. Yeah, right, light there's a big, international modeling agency out in this small college town! SPAM! However, I have found a couple families from Craigslist. The really weird thing is that just when I am looking to fill a spot, I get a ton of calls that got my name from other sources (Yellow Pages, DHS's list of licensed providers, etc). It's like I send out the wish for a new client and they just come to me, even before I post an ad. But when I'm full I could go months with a call.
nannyde 01:27 PM 06-15-2010
I got one really great client from CL. I keep advertising and all I get now is spam and calls from people looking for a job.
Tags:craigs list, spam
Reply Up