Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think About (Assistant)
jokalima 11:53 AM 06-18-2012
So I am looking for some help, I can't pay much and I think most of you could understand that So I am just looking for someone to help out 3 days a week in the morning hours only, I am offering 9.00-9.25 the hour, I think the minimum here is 8.25, anyways, this is what I get back

I'm very interested in the position still however I do work another job babysitting in West Hartford for two children and I make $11/hr so I'm sorry but $9/hr for 6 children is not sufficient at this time. I would be willing to do so for $10-11/hr but if this is not feasible I understand; thank you for the opportunity. Please let me know, I hope we can work something out.

IDK if is me that's wrong or is she way out of her mind? I told her that she would not be in charge of the 6 kids, I just needed a helper so basically she would be there to assist me, assistant???? I did tell her this before getting this e-mail back. So I answered and told her that I could not do more than that and that babysitters and Day Care workers don't make the same $$$ and that she should be aware of this.

Am I being unreasonable here?
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 06-18-2012
I could be wrong but if I remember right most providers here have said they do pay their assistant/helpers around $10 per hour.

Depending on what your licensing rules say, why not advertise for a teen helper. In my state our helpers can be 13 years old but can only be our assistants/helpers and NEVER left alone with the children so maybe that is an option for you, depending on your state's rules.
jokalima 12:11 PM 06-18-2012
IDK how it works with teens around here, but it would not work because I need morning hours. What for me does not make sense is why a Home Day Care should pay more than a DCC, here most DCC start you with less than 10.00, and big centers like the YWCA pay around 9.45 and they charge almost 300.00 per child, why should I pay more when I can't?
kendallina 12:15 PM 06-18-2012
It sounds like you can't afford more than 9.25, so just reiterate to her that the position pays 9.25. I don't think that you have to feel bad about that, it's what you can afford and it's more than a lot of places would pay for an assistant. If it doesn't work out with her, hopefully there will be someone else coming along quickly.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 06-18-2012
I think you should just keep advertising until you find the one tha tis the right fit for you. I think if your rate of pay is what you can financially afford then I would not budge on that amount. No sense hiring someone tha tyou ahve to pay all your profits too....kwim?

I wouldn't give that gals response a second thought and just keep advertising. Just because she asked for more pay doesn't mean everyone would not want the rate you are offering....just her right now....so keep looking.

Just like finding good clients, the road may be long but will probably be well worth it. If the rate you are offering is standard for your area then stick to it.
cheerfuldom 12:19 PM 06-18-2012
I pay my assistant $8 an hour. I always have a lot of responses whenever I post help wanted ads. But I will say that the local daycare facilities and preschool do pay minimum wage in my area. The economy is very slow so jobs in general are harder to come by.

If you cant do 10 or 11, then you cant. Like you said, the duties are very minimal. If it isnt the right fit for her, just move on. A lot of people expect babysitting wages to be the same as daycare/job wages and that is just not the case. I pay my date night babysitters more than I pay my assistant but my assistant gets more hours and it is during the day, not the nights or weekends.
jokalima 12:20 PM 06-18-2012
Yeah, I really can't pay more than that, I am getting 2 p/t kids and I will basically be using their income to pay for that, I don't care much about that part because I am really desperate for some help.
daycare 12:54 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think you should just keep advertising until you find the one tha tis the right fit for you. I think if your rate of pay is what you can financially afford then I would not budge on that amount. No sense hiring someone tha tyou ahve to pay all your profits too....kwim?

I wouldn't give that gals response a second thought and just keep advertising. Just because she asked for more pay doesn't mean everyone would not want the rate you are offering....just her right now....so keep looking.

Just like finding good clients, the road may be long but will probably be well worth it. If the rate you are offering is standard for your area then stick to it.
THIS!!!!

You just have to make sure that they understand exactly what their job is. What their responsibilities will be and the pay that is offered from the get go. I would create an Employee handbook along with an outline of their job duties and expectations...

I think that you are offering more than enough pay for what you are asking for. Just keep looking
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:17 PM 06-18-2012
Is it just me, or did the person looking for a job seem a little unprofessional in her response? I would think talking about wages should be left for after the interview, so the owner would know if they even thought you would be worth what you wanted to be paid, plus shouldn't it be done either in person, or over the phone?
OP: I would work for you for $9/hour! In my area, daycare centers and homes both only pay around $7.25/hour and offer NO benefits, paid time off, vacations, holidays, etc. I am lucky and get paid more than anyone else around is paying, but it is still not $9/hour (and I am left in charge of the children, without assistance from the owner except on busy days she will help me out with the preschool activities, fix lunch (while I take care of the children outdoors or in the playrooms), and help with nap. But with just 6 children she would definitely leave to run errands, or get things done at home (daycare is in a seperate building from her home) while I take care of the daycare. So around here, I would advice you to keep looking beyond the babysitter who wants $10/hour. You will find someone who is happy to receive $9/hour just to help you with 6 children. She may also just be trying to talk you up to a higher wage, and might end up accepting the $9/hr when she knows you cannot & will not pay more.
I assume you are interviewing everyone first? Maybe you could interview, find out their experience and work habits, and go from there before discussing the pay rate (and just know for yourself that you will not be going higher than $9.25)? I see a lot of job postings saying that pay depends on experience/education rather than listing a specific pay rate.
jokalima 03:39 PM 06-18-2012
The reason I wanted to post the rate is because I want people to know before applying so we don't waist no ones time, of course it did not work

Anyways, My sister works at the YWCA in the same town that this girl babysits, the Y asks 280.00 + per child per week and pays 9.50 to employees, I ask 140.00 per child and don't think should pay more than a center, is just not right. The center where I used to work payed a little bit better, they started at 10.00 and then go up on experience.

Does any of you ladies has a list of questions I should ask during an interview?
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:49 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by jokalima:
The reason I wanted to post the rate is because I want people to know before applying so we don't waist no ones time, of course it did not work

Anyways, My sister works at the YWCA in the same town that this girl babysits, the Y asks 280.00 + per child per week and pays 9.50 to employees, I ask 140.00 per child and don't think should pay more than a center, is just not right. The center where I used to work payed a little bit better, they started at 10.00 and then go up on experience.

Does any of you ladies has a list of questions I should ask during an interview?
Okay, that makes sense... and I agree, you are getting paid $100 less than the YWCA per child. Your pay rate would have to be less, considering the difference in income. Plus the job responsibilities would be a lot more for a daycare center teacher than what you are asking from an assistant (center teachers are in charge of a lot of children at one time. In my state I think a class of 3 yr olds has a 1:12 ratio. If you are leaving her in charge a lot, and she has a LOT of responsibilites, I can see paying more than minimum, but if she is just working with you (where the ratio is 2:6) while she is there, I would probably want to only pay minimum wage. Anything else is just a HUGE blessing for your assistant and she had better work hard for it I can fairly say that, too, considering I am an assistant (after I finish with the preschool part)
I've never had to interview obviously, but I would probably ask about experience, previous employers, why they left their last job(s), what they would do in certain situations that could come up with the children, hours and pay, and go over employee handbook/expectations (I helped the owner come up with one where I work, so I can PM you with what we gave our student helper one semester, if you would like). Mainly the interview would probably just be to meet the person and get to know what they are like (do they arrive on time, dress professionally, talk professionally instead of using a lot of slang or having an "attitude", respectful, etc). Also discuss if they can physically do the job needed: lifting, bending, squatting, kneeling, rising quickly from sitting position on the floor and in chairs, move quickly to prevent accidents from happening, etc
jokalima 05:00 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Okay, that makes sense... and I agree, you are getting paid $100 less than the YWCA per child. Your pay rate would have to be less, considering the difference in income. Plus the job responsibilities would be a lot more for a daycare center teacher than what you are asking from an assistant (center teachers are in charge of a lot of children at one time. In my state I think a class of 3 yr olds has a 1:12 ratio. If you are leaving her in charge a lot, and she has a LOT of responsibilites, I can see paying more than minimum, but if she is just working with you (where the ratio is 2:6) while she is there, I would probably want to only pay minimum wage. Anything else is just a HUGE blessing for your assistant and she had better work hard for it I can fairly say that, too, considering I am an assistant (after I finish with the preschool part)
I've never had to interview obviously, but I would probably ask about experience, previous employers, why they left their last job(s), what they would do in certain situations that could come up with the children, hours and pay, and go over employee handbook/expectations (I helped the owner come up with one where I work, so I can PM you with what we gave our student helper one semester, if you would like). Mainly the interview would probably just be to meet the person and get to know what they are like (do they arrive on time, dress professionally, talk professionally instead of using a lot of slang or having an "attitude", respectful, etc). Also discuss if they can physically do the job needed: lifting, bending, squatting, kneeling, rising quickly from sitting position on the floor and in chairs, move quickly to prevent accidents from happening, etc
Yes please, send me the info and thanks!!!
Former Teacher 05:38 PM 06-18-2012
Wow- I wouldn't complain with your pay rate!

When I left my former center 3 years ago:

a: I was there almost 18 years!
b. I was the preschool teacher

and mostly importantly.....

c. I was the Assistant Director

I was only making $8.00 a hour. Yes I was the highest paid employee too.
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:55 PM 06-18-2012
Yes please, send me the info and thanks!!!
I tried to PM it to you, but I can't figure out how to attach documents in a PM (or if it's even possible). If I copy and then paste what I have, it will go way over the allowed words. Do you have an email address I could send it to? You can PM me with your email address if you want to keep it private so everyone who gets on here cannot see it.
RubyBell 09:35 PM 06-18-2012
I agree with what everyone else here has said. You're offering great pay for an assistant position. Minimum wage here is $8.25 (Or around there) and most daycare assistants are paid that. Even the lead teachers that I know are lucky to make $9 an hour. Sounds to me like her expectations are too high. Like someone else said, she needs to be selling herself and proving her value before she starts discussing pay! Jeez. I'd keep looking if I were you
Kaddidle Care 05:05 AM 06-19-2012
So I am looking for some help, I can't pay much and I think most of you could understand that So I am just looking for someone to help out 3 days a week in the morning hours only, I am offering 9.00-9.25 the hour, I think the minimum here is 8.25, anyways, this is what I get back

I'm very interested in the position still however I do work another job babysitting in West Hartford for two children and I make $11/hr so I'm sorry but $9/hr for 6 children is not sufficient at this time. I would be willing to do so for $10-11/hr but if this is not feasible I understand; thank you for the opportunity. Please let me know, I hope we can work something out.

IDK if is me that's wrong or is she way out of her mind? I told her that she would not be in charge of the 6 kids, I just needed a helper so basically she would be there to assist me, assistant???? I did tell her this before getting this e-mail back. So I answered and told her that I could not do more than that and that babysitters and Day Care workers don't make the same $$$ and that she should be aware of this.

I wouldn't even respond. Your ad says what you can pay - and it's more than I was making at a Center after 5 years! Wish I lived closer to you!

She will never be happy with $9.25 so wait for another response to your Ad.

A local High School or College kid should jump at the opportunity.
Unregistered 04:27 PM 06-19-2012
Hi everyone, I just open a small home daycare. what is a reasonable price for a weekly rate for infants? and how many hours a day? I'm in orange county, ca

Thank you,

FYI: I'm sorry if I posted wrong-I'm new at this
Unregistered 01:29 PM 06-23-2012

hey, but I would like to come help you out, the pay is okay with me
Tags:assistant, assistant - summer, assistant - teen, helper, teens
Reply Up