Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Any Of You Ever Want To Just Quit?
MamaBear 07:36 PM 05-19-2011
I have been feeling this urge to quit doing daycare lately. I hate when I get this feeling. It happens occassionally and usually I get over it. But lately its getting more intense of a feeling. I dont know if Im getting burned out or what.

I love all the kids I have in my daycare right now but a couple of the parents drive me insane. I constantly catch them in lies or they try to sneak their kid here with hidden illnesses. I'm obsessed lately with bleaching & cleaning everything because of the funk these parents have snuck in here. Its so frustrating to me lately. I also started watching an infant recently and he definitely has his good and BAD days. The last 2 days he hasnt napped longer then 1 hour all day, and hes 5 months old... so when hes awake he cries & cries. At the end of the day, I'm just exhausted.

One of the main reasons why I do daycare is so I can be home with my own kids, but sometimes I feel like I still cant really spend time with them and cant go anywhere with them either. Its like I'm here for them ... but not really here for them. Kind of defeats the purpose in a way.

Does anyone have advice on how to get my daycare mojo back? Or maybe I need to change jobs. I feel bad because there are families that are calling me for childcare, but I dont even want to call them back because I'm just feeling "not into it" right now.
Abigail 07:49 PM 05-19-2011
How many kids do you have total? How old are your own children? Maybe letting the infant go because you can't meet the child's needs (cries too much and creates stress for you and probably the group). You should try to stick to ages near your children so they can progress well. As for burnout...when do you open and close? I completely understand on loving the kids and not the parents. Maybe you're due for a raise, you should review your rates and see if you would feel better with a 5% or so raise depending on what you charge. Come July you could have better pay and one less infant.....

Times will get better :Hugs:
DaycareMama 07:53 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
One of the main reasons why I do daycare is so I can be home with my own kids, but sometimes I feel like I still cant really spend time with them and cant go anywhere with them either. Its like I'm here for them ... but not really here for them. Kind of defeats the purpose in a way.
This is exactly how I feel right now myself. It sadens me everyday. I love my job and I love my DCKs. I have 2 parents who ruin the entire thing for me.

I miss my own kids more than anything and I am home to see them everyday. See them more now then ever.

I wish that I had some positive words for you. But all I can say is your not alone. I hope that in some way that helps. I know it does for me.

Maybe you just need to find some fun "family friendly" activities to do on your down time. Maybe buy a puzzle to do at night, little affordable weekend getaways, always remind your children that it may not seem like it now but you DO do this for them. I really believe that one day they will look back (our kids) and see that.

I am the worst at finding time and it makes me dislike my job more because I feel guilty. Like right now DH and DS are sitting together at the table doing a puzzle and im being lazy on the couch. Im going to make that extra effort to get up and join them tonight even though i just want to crash!

I don't mean to ramble but I understand you so much. I hope for all who feel this way that it gets better.. Stay positive. Only you can tell whats best for your family. Maybe you just need a break? You can always start up again
MamaBear 07:53 PM 05-19-2011
I only have 5 daycare kids - 3 toddlers (ages 2-3) and 2 infants (11 months & the 5 month old). They are an easy group except the infant. I definitely notice that my "like" of doing daycare kind of diminished when the new baby started. I'm open 7am-5pm so its not too bad... But I think its a mix of the parents, the lying that I've gotten lately, the sneakiness and just worn out from the new baby.

I like your idea of the raise! Maybe I should consider that. Also thinking a vacation might be in order soon too! lol
Abigail 07:57 PM 05-19-2011
How long has the five month old been with you? 11 months is quite a bit ahead and you can always decide to take age 1+ so you can keep your 11 month old and just agree no more babies for awhile. I think babies are hard when you have older kids. The last few hours of our day was 6 2-5 year olds and 2 infants 4 and 5 months. I would prefer to have only one infant under the age of 1 myself.

Just remember tomorrow is FRIDAY!
MamaBear 08:02 PM 05-19-2011
Thank you Daycare Mama... Its nice that someone understand the feelings I'm having. It sucks. I want to LOVE doing daycare, but just feel such a blah feeling about it lately.

I wish I could just wake up every morning and just take care of my own kids... do fun things with them and make it to their every event they need me for. I'm here with them, but cant do anything with them. They hide out in their rooms to avoid the crying baby or the toddler noises. My husband retreats into his man cave when he comes home early. Im home but I'm in a bubble! haha

I think feeling unappreciated by the daycare parents is another problem for me. My parents here have been ticking me off daily lately. If I didnt need the money then I probably would stop daycare effective now! lol I definitely need a pick-me-up to get me "into" it again!
DaycareMama 08:12 PM 05-19-2011
Sounds similar to here. My husband comes home early and acts like he has work to do here and hides. Usually with those hidious orange ear plug things My DS is so grossed out by the little ones (I have a 2yo who I swear holds her gas in till he comes home and is standing near her) that all I see is the back of his head as he comes home from school.
sahm2three 08:58 PM 05-19-2011
I have been feeling this urge to quit doing daycare lately. I hate when I get this feeling. It happens occassionally and usually I get over it. But lately its getting more intense of a feeling. I dont know if Im getting burned out or what.

I love all the kids I have in my daycare right now but a couple of the parents drive me insane. I constantly catch them in lies or they try to sneak their kid here with hidden illnesses. I'm obsessed lately with bleaching & cleaning everything because of the funk these parents have snuck in here. Its so frustrating to me lately. I also started watching an infant recently and he definitely has his good and BAD days. The last 2 days he hasnt napped longer then 1 hour all day, and hes 5 months old... so when hes awake he cries & cries. At the end of the day, I'm just exhausted.

Does anyone have advice on how to get my daycare mojo back? Or maybe I need to change jobs. I feel bad because there are families that are calling me for childcare, but I dont even want to call them back because I'm just feeling "not into it" right now.
Yep! By Thursday almost every week! LOL! Then I have my weekend and I feel better and then the week starts all over again. We have a fairly thankless job. We do the work that most parents won't do or don't want to do. We put our heart and soul into our work. It's a tough job. I think it is ok to feel done now and then. Hang in there!
MsMe 09:12 PM 05-19-2011
I have a greou of 6 3yr (all almost 4) that have made my life REALLY stressfull for the last year. The noise, the fighting, the 'play'fighting, and the 'you're not my best friend" are all makign my day miserable!!

Daycare used to be fun and while not always 'calm' it was never this stressfull. I am nearly at the end of my rope and desperatly tring to hold on for one morw year untill they all go to kinder. It is rough and I think about quiting at least once a week.

I don't really have any advice I just wanted you to know that I feel the same way. This is a great job and we do it bc we love it but burn out happens to us all and I am currently working through mine.
sharlan 09:15 PM 05-19-2011
BTDT, all the way.

You need to evaluate what's making you unhappy and change it.
boysx5 03:31 AM 05-20-2011
I felt like that after I had my two youngest sons and I did stop and went part-time I only did after school care this way it gave me my day free with them and I was only working a few hours a day. Now my boys are all in school and I have been back at it for three years now and there are days I still get frustrated but taking a day off or having a vacation coming up helps out
MamaBear 08:35 AM 05-20-2011
Last night I find out that now I have a Herpangina outbreak in my daycare which is really not helping my mood for doing daycare. Arghhhh
3kidzmama 09:49 AM 05-20-2011
I've been teaching kindergarten and/or first grade for several years now. Mostly in the special education field. (I am leaving teacher public school to open my own daycare center in June, but that's a different story!)

My words of advice are: LET IT GO. I have encountered numerous parents throughout the years that are (in my opinion) neglectful, obnoxious, frustrating, and all around irritating.
*Parents who don't bathe their children.
*Parents who don't want their children in their presence and are looking for any and all ways to deposit them onto someone else, hopefully free of charge.
*Parents who treat one gender different than the other.
*Parents who are extremely selfish and self-centered.
*Parents who think everyone else, especially the child's caregiver, is responsible for everything regarding the child, including illnesses and bad behaviors (oh, he "picked that up" at school/daycare/etc.)
*Parents who pretend to be "parent of the year" when in reality they couldn't care less what their children do/see/hear/participate in as long as the parent themselves don't have to deal with it

The list goes on and on and on and on....

In my first years, I would be stressed to the max and frustrated to tears all the time. I loved the children and detested the parents (not all, but those that fit the above description for sure)... I was at my limit.

That's when I realized that no matter what I do or say to these types of parents, they are not going to change. They will not change because they LIKE their lives and DO NOT want to deal with the responsibilities of the children.

So, I have learned to just LET IT GO. Anything that is stressful but has no bearings on my life after school/daycare hours, I have learned that it has to be let go of. If not, I will not be able to continue working with the children I love because of their irritating parents.

**This does NOT include instances where I see abuse/neglect and can turn it in to the authorities. I will get VERY involved when it comes to something of that nature, regardless of my feelings about the parent.
Live and Learn 01:32 PM 05-20-2011
I did quit!!!

I gave my notice about a month ago. My last day is mid June.

I am going to work in my hubby's business very part time and we are planning to foster parent an infant or two.

We are both excited about the new chapter in our lives.
Gurdy 01:45 PM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I did quit!!!

I gave my notice about a month ago. My last day is mid June.

I am going to work in my hubby's business very part time and we are planning to foster parent an infant or two.

We are both excited about the new chapter in our lives.
Good for you!!

Good luck and God bless!
Meeko 01:56 PM 05-20-2011
There is no job more important than ours,
no job anywhere else in the land.
We are the keepers of the future;
we hold the smallest of hands.
Into our care we are trusted
to nurture and care for the young,
and for all of our everyday heroics,
our talents and skills go unsung.
We wipe tears from the eyes of the injured.
We rock babies brand new in our arms.
We encourage the shy and unsure child.
We make sure they are safe from all harm.
We foster the bonds of friendships,
letting no child go away mad.
We respect and we honor their emotions.
We give hugs to each child when they're sad.
We have more impact than does a professor,
a child's mind is molded by four;
so whatever we lay on the table
is whatever that child will explore.
Give each child the tools for adventure,
let them be artists and writers and more;
let them fly in the wind and dance on the stars
and build castles of sand on the shore.
It is true that we don't make much money
And we don't get a whole lot of praise,
But when one small child says, "I love you,"
we're reminded of how this job pays.

Hang in there! HUGS!
MommyMuffin 06:26 PM 05-20-2011
Last night I find out that now I have a Herpangina outbreak in my daycare which is really not helping my mood for doing daycare. Arghhhh
I dont know your entire story but I was thinking this;

Create VERY strict illness policy and stick to it. If you catch them in a lie, call them on it. (Have a reputable website for childrens health that you can check for quick reference when the kid develops symptoms.)

I also feel like I dont get enough time with my own children. I only have 2 FT kids and 2 PT kids. I make just enough to make ends meet. Right now I wont take on anymore kids.

If you can, I would cut down. Perhaps, like someone might have already said, advertise for an older baby.
nikia 07:04 PM 05-20-2011
I understand how you feel, I felt the same way so I did quit and honestly it was the best thing I did. I wasnt in to daycare anymore and I was miserable. My kids were miserable and wanted their house back.

I found a job that was extremely flexible and paid well. If your heart is not in daycare my advice for what its worth, is to quit. I get to spend time with my kids and go to all their school functions. I dont have to deal with the lying of parents or the disrespect from parents anymore it is wonderful.

BUT there are down sides and I think they are important to remember when you are in a funk from daycare. I get home at 5 and still have to make dinner, I deal with adults acting like children which some days is worst than a screaming infant, but for me it is better dealing with those few bad things compared to what I was dealing with running a daycare.

Make a pro and con list and which ever has less cons, I think that is your answer. Hugs to you, you are not alone and its okay to quit, I know its such a hard decision, but if you feel its right in your heart it will all work out
Unregistered 07:52 PM 05-20-2011
in my state it is not even legal to have that many kids of that age.
Unregistered 09:20 AM 05-21-2011
Im registered, but I logged out for privacy reasons.

I don't want to quit daycare, but I DO want to quit center care. I love kids and I like doing daycare but I want to do it with some kind of balance and structure. 95% of the problems I encounter throughout the day and throughout the time I've been on the job...are direct results of how our center is set up and operates.

Policies are constantly ignored, overriden, and bended by and for parents.

Parents never pay on time or sometimes not all. Some parents owe hundreds of dollars, but are still allowed to send their kids because they are state pay clients.

There is not enough staff. We work unpaid overtime daily. Some days I can't even go to the bathroom until I get off. There is no cook, custodian, or receptionist. Me and the other lead staff member have to do almost everything.

I have to deal with children with behavior problems on a daily basis, and the parents could care less.

Children who are ill are doped up and sent anyway. When we call a parent to pick up a sick child, they show up at their regular pick-up time.

Sometimes I get so discouraged...some days I am barely there and I have to force myself to interact with my kids. It shouldn't be this way, and unfortunately I need this job to pay my bills. I am certified in a lot of daycare-related things, I'm 1/3 of the way through my CDA and I have almost 5 years experience in this...so this is probably what Im going to do for the next several years...but I can't stay where I am much longer
Meeko 11:42 AM 05-21-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
in my state it is not even legal to have that many kids of that age.
Wow...where do you live?! I have 16 day care kids and I'm fully legal and licensed!
Sunshine44 05:58 AM 05-23-2011
I sometimes want to walk out the door (so to speak) and not come back. It's a trying job. The kids, the parents, life in general. It's a lot to take in at times. I think it's normal at some point to be 'over it'.
momma2girls 11:42 AM 05-23-2011
I truly wonder what the burn out rate is for daycare providers. I have had 3 families that have quit their jobs, in order to stay at home with their children, and save money, and all started providing daycare for families. All 3 have gone back to the work force!! One it didn't take long at all, maybe 6 months, the other about a yr. and the other about 1 1/2!!
Times have changed even in the last 10 yrs.
When I brought my oldest and my middle child to daycare. I was so respectful to her and her family. I would have never dreamed to treat her or anyone else disrespectful!! We always picked them up right away after work. I would have never brought my children, when I was off on vac. etc.....
nannyde 11:53 AM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I truly wonder what the burn out rate is for daycare providers. I have had 3 families that have quit their jobs, in order to stay at home with their children, and save money, and all started providing daycare for families. All 3 have gone back to the work force!! One it didn't take long at all, maybe 6 months, the other about a yr. and the other about 1 1/2!!
They may have only lasted six to eighteen months but multiply them times the hundreds of thousands of women who have done and currently are doing their six to eighteen months.

They ARE the daycare providers of today. They are the most highly sought after child care workers.... imho.

I think there are a heckuva lot more of them then there are of us. A LOT more.
harperluu 12:34 PM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
They may have only lasted six to eighteen months but multiply them times the hundreds of thousands of women who have done and currently are doing their six to eighteen months.

They ARE the daycare providers of today. They are the most highly sought after child care workers.... imho.

I think there are a heckuva lot more of them then there are of us. A LOT more.
I was one of them! I was laid off from a large corporation due to a reorg and my son was 11 months old. My husband was a police officer and lots of the other officers families were looking for sporadic care w/someone they knew. I'm still at it 7 years later and I enjoy the drop-in care niche that I provide. Sure I have a few fulltimers but keep a roster of kids that come once a year to once a week. I end up making more than if I had 8 fulltimers. If I don't have anyone scheduled, I'm closed. If I look at my calendar ahead and it looks bare I call upon providers in my network to see if they have upcoming vacation time.

I agree Nan...the town I live in is saturated with stay-at-home moms turned child care providers. So I adapted.
akmama 10:55 PM 05-23-2011
I am right there with ya! Burned out! What has helped though is..I lost 2 girls as a result of the mom quitting work to spend more time with kids ( which is awesome! ) the lighter load helps alot! I was informed Friday I am losing another girl because the father has to quit work since a)he can't afford my rates for his one enrolled child as well as his 2 school age kids b) I refuse to remain open till 7 pm for them. I am now only caring for 2 boys in addition to my own children, I'm super excited! And the cherry on top... Those 2 remaining boys are going to 3 days a week!!
The loss Of income makes me crazy nervous, but we will make it.we always do!
Anyhow, in my rambling...I'm tryin to say, I think scaling back to the minimum might be just the ticket!
elle73 08:28 AM 05-24-2011
I know exactly how you feel. I gave my daycare families notice that I am moving, I thought about doing daycare again when I move but most likely I will get a job, I've noticed my kids aren't as happy as they used to be and I just want my house to be MINE.

Who knows after working awhile maybe I will get into it again, but I am definately feeling burned out from doing home daycare.
greenhouse 10:47 AM 05-24-2011
I just started and it's seriously the hardest job I've ever had. I hate taking time away from my own son and I hate having to clean the house every night. If I could quit I feel like I'd let the house stay dirty for weeks on purpose. It sucks having total strangers waltz though your house and comment on stuff. I have great DCP so far too. DH won't let me quit, but I want to.
Unregistered 08:56 AM 11-22-2013
So I ve babysat for about 3 years now and I started this so I could stay home with my 2 kids. Now I really would like to work outside the home, I'm so distracted with the dck that I have no time for my kids in my own home. I'm so scared to tell the parents because we've become so close. Any advice?
CedarCreek 09:09 AM 11-22-2013
I'm not burnt out but my enrollment is so low right now that I cannot continue on with this income. Dh just doesn't make enough to supplement what I don't.

I just don't think this is the field for me because I cannot handle being down and out like this. And I know it won't be the last time.
Brooksie 09:34 AM 11-22-2013

I'm right here with you. I tell dbf all the time that the point of doing DC is being defeated. DD does not do well with the dc in her house and I'm so exhausted at the end of the day I feel like we don't get to enjoy the small amount of time its just us. It sucks. Wish I had advice, but all I can offer is
Annalee 09:34 AM 11-22-2013

FCC can be isolating at times....I get most burnout during this time of year due to the extra stresses of the holidays (making ends meet financially), knowing assessment is coming in Jan/Feb the, basketball season begins for my boys, etc...Usually the time off between Christmas and New Years helps.... I feel my daycare/home/family don't get what they need from me during this time which makes me feel kind of like I am "failing" my duties.

We have a local FCC support group here which helps but sometimes I have found I just need to re-group myself....not easy to do for me. One of the re-group things I did years ago was to revamp my contracts/policy to allow more time for my family....i.e. school holidays, personal days, vacation time....these have all been mentioned, however I found some therapy for myself while writing this post....I hope u get to feeling better!
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 11-22-2013
Old thread. (2011)

NOT that the info and advice isn't worth revisiting, just want to make sure some of you who quoted Mamabear know that this is from a while ago and she probably isn't going to respond.
Atroya 12:16 PM 11-22-2013
I am very burned out. Been doing DC for 3.5 yrs. Looking for a job that will be flexible enough that I don't have to put my own kids in daycare. (I have a 12 yr old and a 9 yr old). I am going to be picky.

I could go back to my old job, but it is a 30 minute drive and winter is coming...and I hated working there to begin with, even after 13 yrs of being there. Even remembering all the crap that went on there...it still seems more enjoyable than dealing with all these issues/bad behavior/bad parenting/late payments/parents that think they can just drop off and pick up as they please/etc.

I don't enjoy it anymore, my kids are frustrated, I am frustrated, I can't spend the time with my kids that I want to, am tired of being stuck here from 7am to 5:30 pm. I used to get off work at 3 pm.
Unregistered 02:01 PM 11-22-2013

No matter what job you have, you will always feel this way from time to time. I think it might be time to take a small break where you can just be with your kids.
Crazy8 02:36 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Old thread. (2011)

NOT that the info and advice isn't worth revisiting, just want to make sure some of you who quoted Mamabear know that this is from a while ago and she probably isn't going to respond.
ugh, hate when I waste my time reading a thread to find its old, LOL!!! BUT, in this case Mamabear is still around (posted in the last week or so) so maybe she will respond and let us know how she got over this hump back then. I think we all feel this way from time to time!!
Unregistered 02:53 PM 11-22-2013
YES, like today, i have a new parent that wants to hang around at drop off, and gets worked up cuz dck cries, well yes, he makes him cry and then thats when he leaves, im so sick of it, its only been one week!
jenn 03:24 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Yep! By Thursday almost every week! LOL! Then I have my weekend and I feel better and then the week starts all over again. We have a fairly thankless job. We do the work that most parents won't do or don't want to do. We put our heart and soul into our work. It's a tough job. I think it is ok to feel done now and then. Hang in there!

Unregistered 05:23 PM 07-27-2018
Hello, I'm relatively new to child care, and I think one of the benefits to being new, is that I come with fresh perspective. I opened in January but business didn't to take off until May and steadily getting busier. Financially it was hard, but the work is paying off. One reason I haven't been completely full is that I've been picky from the beginning, balancing a need to pay bills with a need for sanity. My advice is to get very comfortable very quickly letting go families that bring you stress, whether it be the children or the parents. Listen to your gut. If you get a bad feeling that a parent is going to bring negativity to your home, or be flaky etc, say no or cut them loose as soon as you realize it. If the baby cries all day....let them go. If the child is difficult.....let them go. Remember you are doing this for you and your family. Also remember that everything works out how it should, so there's no need to worry about the family finding someone to replace you! You can also look at it as being in the best interest of the family/child you are letting go. It's better they go somewhere they are happy. I've lived by this and it has resulted in my group slowly getting more compatible and harmonious. I'm one of you who wasn't sure she could make it, and still have days I want to check job listings. I understand if you live in an area with few options, and it's a balance. But I realized I was turning away potential new clients because I was stuck with ones that I was unhappy with, and that I would be better off keeping my options open.

I love the flexibility I have. I've heard of providers giving 6 months or a year notice when they want to take time off which seems ridiculous to me. Here is where the fresh perspective comes in handy again. I have it in my policy that I will TRY to give 30 days notice, but that doesn't always happen. I am a single mother of three and things come up. What may ease your guilt is to understand that parents find ways to work things out in my short experience. I've gotten very creative, and still coming up with ideas. You could give notice and close on a weekday to get time for yourself....and then another down the line during summer for family time. Take time off, take time off, take time off. We left behind the 9 to 5 because of having to ask bosses to take meager vacation time. It's a trade off. I am available 24 hours, but I think this applies to all of us when I say you need to balance that out with taking a day off here and there. As with anything, some activities may need to be sacrificed, but make up for it other times. You are in a partnership/relationship with your clients and it needs to be a two way street. You are providing a service that allows them to earn money, so you both have to juggle your schedule at times. stop feeling guilty.

On the family time issue I've got one for that as well. Before I started this, I heard many former providers say they were "less" available to their children while in the business. Part of this goes back to taking more time off as I mentioned above, and also perhaps a perspective change could help. Now that I'm in business I see what they meant/what you all mean about feeling guilty about having to divide your attention. Maybe think of it this way: right now I am with my toddler every day, and I'm home when my school ager gets off the bus. I get to nurse my toddler every day. My children see me home, and are learning that the world doesn't revolve around them. If I was working a regular job we would not have any of the above blessings, and my children would be in another daycare anyway! Without me there! So to me it still sums up to me being "more" available, especially when you consider I can take time off whenever I need within reason.

#1-get comfortable letting the difficult ones go
#2-take more time off
#3-consider that your children would be without you for possibly 50 hours a week if you go back to work.
#4-be strict about drop off and pick up times. I contract with each individual family for only the time it takes to get to and from work, and I charge if they are late/don't answer the door if they are early. They need to ask you in advance if your okay with them picking up late. I know that's a bit off topic but it seems like many of you are letting customers take advantage.

Good luck. I plan to stick with this at least one year to really give it a chance. I sacrificed a lot to get here, and I'm not going to give up that easy!
MelissaP 06:12 PM 03-02-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello, I'm relatively new to child care, and I think one of the benefits to being new, is that I come with fresh perspective. I opened in January but business didn't to take off until May and steadily getting busier. Financially it was hard, but the work is paying off. One reason I haven't been completely full is that I've been picky from the beginning, balancing a need to pay bills with a need for sanity. My advice is to get very comfortable very quickly letting go families that bring you stress, whether it be the children or the parents. Listen to your gut. If you get a bad feeling that a parent is going to bring negativity to your home, or be flaky etc, say no or cut them loose as soon as you realize it. If the baby cries all day....let them go. If the child is difficult.....let them go. Remember you are doing this for you and your family. Also remember that everything works out how it should, so there's no need to worry about the family finding someone to replace you! You can also look at it as being in the best interest of the family/child you are letting go. It's better they go somewhere they are happy. I've lived by this and it has resulted in my group slowly getting more compatible and harmonious. I'm one of you who wasn't sure she could make it, and still have days I want to check job listings. I understand if you live in an area with few options, and it's a balance. But I realized I was turning away potential new clients because I was stuck with ones that I was unhappy with, and that I would be better off keeping my options open.

I love the flexibility I have. I've heard of providers giving 6 months or a year notice when they want to take time off which seems ridiculous to me. Here is where the fresh perspective comes in handy again. I have it in my policy that I will TRY to give 30 days notice, but that doesn't always happen. I am a single mother of three and things come up. What may ease your guilt is to understand that parents find ways to work things out in my short experience. I've gotten very creative, and still coming up with ideas. You could give notice and close on a weekday to get time for yourself....and then another down the line during summer for family time. Take time off, take time off, take time off. We left behind the 9 to 5 because of having to ask bosses to take meager vacation time. It's a trade off. I am available 24 hours, but I think this applies to all of us when I say you need to balance that out with taking a day off here and there. As with anything, some activities may need to be sacrificed, but make up for it other times. You are in a partnership/relationship with your clients and it needs to be a two way street. You are providing a service that allows them to earn money, so you both have to juggle your schedule at times. stop feeling guilty.

On the family time issue I've got one for that as well. Before I started this, I heard many former providers say they were "less" available to their children while in the business. Part of this goes back to taking more time off as I mentioned above, and also perhaps a perspective change could help. Now that I'm in business I see what they meant/what you all mean about feeling guilty about having to divide your attention. Maybe think of it this way: right now I am with my toddler every day, and I'm home when my school ager gets off the bus. I get to nurse my toddler every day. My children see me home, and are learning that the world doesn't revolve around them. If I was working a regular job we would not have any of the above blessings, and my children would be in another daycare anyway! Without me there! So to me it still sums up to me being "more" available, especially when you consider I can take time off whenever I need within reason.

#1-get comfortable letting the difficult ones go
#2-take more time off
#3-consider that your children would be without you for possibly 50 hours a week if you go back to work.
#4-be strict about drop off and pick up times. I contract with each individual family for only the time it takes to get to and from work, and I charge if they are late/don't answer the door if they are early. They need to ask you in advance if your okay with them picking up late. I know that's a bit off topic but it seems like many of you are letting customers take advantage.

Good luck. I plan to stick with this at least one year to really give it a chance. I sacrificed a lot to get here, and I'm not going to give up that easy!
Thank you for this. It is a great reminder. I have been feeling this way for a long time and you have reminded me why I am doing this. I don't do this for my families, I do this for MY family. And I need to remember that this is MY business and nobody else's. I make the decisions for what's good for me and MY business.
Especially the part about not working for a boss that tells you what to do. Don't let you parents tell you what to do.
Three children that I try to love dearly are on to other adventures. I am happy that these three children are leaving. They are the ones that make my life and business hell and I don't care for their parents. They take advantage of me and make me feel bad of things that may come up (illness, appointments, etc.). It's not worth it to me, and I need to remember that MY family is more important then them and my mental health is the most important thing. Again, thank you.
Melissa

Tags:burnt out, feeling bad, overwhelmed, quit, tired of daycare
Reply Up