Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Natural, Holistic and RAW Lifestyle>For Those "Specialized" In Home Daycares (Organic, Gluten Free, Cloth Diapering)
littlemommy 01:36 PM 06-13-2013
Do you charge more than the average in home daycare in your area?

I moved to a bigger city, and am advertising as gluten free, clean eating, cloth diaper friendly. I'm planning on charging a bit more than the average. I've had interest so far, but everyone seems to be on the opposite end of town.
Michael 01:42 PM 06-13-2013
Threads for Organic, Gluten Free and Cloth diapers

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=gluten+free
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=cloth+diapers
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=organic+food
Blackcat31 01:53 PM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Do you charge more than the average in home daycare in your area?

I moved to a bigger city, and am advertising as gluten free, clean eating, cloth diaper friendly. I'm planning on charging a bit more than the average. I've had interest so far, but everyone seems to be on the opposite end of town.
I charge a slightly higher rate than other area providers but I don't think it has anything to do with me being willing to cloth diaper or willingness to serve organic foods...I think it has more to do with the fact that I am a long term (20+ years) provider as well as my reputation.

At least that is the way it seems to work around here.
littlemommy 03:13 PM 06-13-2013
That makes sense. I've heard that there is another in home daycare here that charges over double the "average" amount. She is all organic and always full! Not sure how long she's been in business.
cheerfuldom 03:18 PM 06-13-2013
I think most of the ones I know that are like that are also Waldorf so they charge more for many reasons.
Unregistered 03:23 PM 06-13-2013
Here's one that seems pretty natural but I was astonished at the price!

They are opening this fall but look under the tuition rates for a better understanding of what they charge.

http://nestplayschoolpdx.com/
Lyss 03:49 PM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

They are opening this fall but look under the tuition rates for a better understanding of what they charge.

I'm not surprised by the tuition on that one, I've seen multiple in PDX that are similar
LK5kids 03:49 PM 06-13-2013
I do organic but do not advertise or push that as a selling point. Many people in my area could care less about organic or think it's weird and extreme. What I do advertise is wholesome, homemade meals with little or no convienence foods and post pictures on my Facebook page. I get lots of great comments on my meals.

I have heard of parents even complaining a local school is offering too healthy of a menu and their kids won't eat that healthy junk and come home hungry these were not my dk parents.

I do not charge more.

I will be about 90% organic once I am licensed and get reimbursed for food. As of Now I provide organic milk, yogurt, Annie's crackers & Mac 'n cheese, apples, oats, sugar, frozen strawberries and raspberries, olive oil, & raw carrots. These are easy to get here and affordable. I also use grass fed beef from a local supplier. I will be happy when I can offer all fruits & veggies organic along with things liKe organic spaghetti sauce, etc.

I do not offer gluten free.

If you are in an area that values these services I would think you could charge more.
preschoolteacher 05:33 PM 06-13-2013
I will be charging a little more than average for my large metropolitan area. Full-time children will pay $45/day and part-time (anything less than 4 days/week) will pay $50/day. Drop-in care is $7/hour. After a year or two, I may raise my prices depending on how things go. I am not yet licensed but will open in the fall.

I'm going to offer organic food; preschool curriculum (that follows the more holistic early childhood philosophies, similar to Waldorf in ways); nature-based education (organic vegetable garden, outdoor play daily, nature excursions, etc.); and I am open to using cloth diapers.

As for gluten free, I think that depends on where you are located. Some people really won't care. Others might. I think organic is more of a draw than gluten free.

One thing I have done, which I *hope* will be a selling point, is that I aligned my program with the Go Green Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale. It's a scale that assesses how "green" your program is--how safe are the products you are using? How sustainable is your program? There are many different areas it judges you... including organic food, potential exposure to lead in your environment, recycling practices, etc. You should consider rating your program and passing the rating on to parents!

http://www.gogreenratingscale.org/
ksmith 10:53 PM 06-13-2013
When I re-open I would like to use being eco-friendly and organic as a selling point. I'm going to apply to be endorsed as a Eco Health Child Care. There is a checklist and you only have to hit 24/30 of the techniques.

http://www.cehn.org/ehcc
itlw8 05:43 AM 06-14-2013
I think all those things re great but parents tend to choose a program more for what the child will learn not what they eat. Unfortunately price has to be in their budget also

You will rule out many parents that do not do that t home so paying extra from them will not fly unless you also have killer program.

Lots of creative experiences, garden, no work sheets,lots of hands on learning. It needs to be package not just organic food.
daycarediva 05:45 AM 06-14-2013
I charge on the high end in my area, my main competition is a local Montessori preschool, but their meals are terrible and parents essentially have to chose between Montessori and organic food. I am 1/2 providers who even values healthy meals and does mainly organic.

I do use a preschool curriculum, but I am mainly play based, almost all organic, cloth diaper and extended bf'ing friendly. I would LOVE to open my renovated space (next summer, most likely) as a reggio inspired, 100% organic, natural, play based program.

There is a BIG market for it in my area, and it's what I believe in myself.
MotherNature 05:45 AM 06-14-2013
I don't charge more than others in the area, & I think the parents appreciate it. They seek me out because of what I offer. The 'organic, breastfeeding, cloth diaper, AP' thing is just part of my everyday life, & I like to extend the same things to others. Organic strawberries & milk is expensive, but it's worth it to me for the kids in my care.
daycarediva 05:50 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

That wouldn't be outrageous here, and is closer to the rates I will be charging next year when I finish garage-preschool renovation. I have priced around, and based on what I will be offering, my FT rates will probably be $275/week and PT will be $75/day. I only take 2-5 and will have an assistant for 9-1 (or full day if it works out) so my ratios will be 1:3 for that age group for the majority(possibly all) of the day. THAT low ratio is unheard of, anywhere I have checked.
sunlight 06:05 AM 06-14-2013
I am a provider in the PDX area as well. I currently have two families who live pretty close to the area where the playschool listed a few postings above is located. These two families would have loved to enroll their child in a "center" type child care but ultimately enrolled with me because I offer some of the same things for a much more reasonable price. They end up having to comute to me which I think is a down side for them. They have both been with me for two years now. As far as being competitive in my rates compared to other providers in my area I think we all charge about the same give or take $100 a month. Almost all the providers have a preschool program so that isn't a selling feature anymore. It was about 6 years ago! I am Eco friendly to a point. I still have carpet in the living room and bedrooms and hardwood everywhere else. I use Green cleaning products and offer many whole foods and some Organic as well. Out of all my current families only two are "Green" the rest don't really seem that interested in that. They ALL just want to know that I am taking the best possible care of their child/children, am open early and close late, and don't take very much time off. This alone has been my number one selling feature! I am very reliable. My location is close to a major road so I am very accessible. So far I am going on 13 years in child care and so far so good Hope this gives another point of view on the subject.
AcornMama 06:33 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I will be charging a little more than average for my large metropolitan area. Full-time children will pay $45/day and part-time (anything less than 4 days/week) will pay $50/day. Drop-in care is $7/hour. After a year or two, I may raise my prices depending on how things go. I am not yet licensed but will open in the fall.

I'm going to offer organic food; preschool curriculum (that follows the more holistic early childhood philosophies, similar to Waldorf in ways); nature-based education (organic vegetable garden, outdoor play daily, nature excursions, etc.); and I am open to using cloth diapers.
http://www.gogreenratingscale.org/
I think you and I are opening the same preschool this fall!
itlw8 09:02 AM 06-14-2013
gluten free is a hard one but you might also want to add corn free. Any family that wants their child to be gluten free when there is not an allergy would also not want them eating GMO products . It is my understanding it is almost impossible to certify any corn product as non GMO.

disclaimer I eat corn, wheat, rye and uncertified oats. but friends seem to more concerned about corn than wheat these days
AmyKidsCo 02:37 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I charge a slightly higher rate than other area providers but I don't think it has anything to do with me being willing to cloth diaper or willingness to serve organic foods...I think it has more to do with the fact that I am a long term (20+ years) provider as well as my reputation.

At least that is the way it seems to work around here.
Almost ditto, except I've only got 18+ years of experience.
Tags:cloth diapers, gluten free, organic food
Reply Up