Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>And It's Not Even Winter Yet!!
Josiegirl 03:08 AM 12-05-2014
Is anyone else close to throwing a temper tantrum every time it's outside time? I refuse to give up outdoor time, even if it takes half the day to get them all ready but it's got to be one of the most exasperating parts of daycare(that and potty training).
UGH!!!!!
I have one that can get herself completely ready and the others need help for most of it. And then there's the mitten-pullers, hat-throwers, screamers cause they want to do it themselves, toddlers who are half ready and take off to the other room.
Yesterday afternoon, it took us 30 minutes to get 5 kids all suited up. I also have 2 dogs we take out on leashes with us. I check everybody out, round up the 2 wandering toddlers from the playroom, make sure everybody still has their hats/mittens on and we head out the door. No easy feat. I happen to look down at one of the toddlers and she's missing a boot. Her snowpants are long and I didn't notice it before so we all trail back into the house, have to search for her boot, then we all traipse back out. Everybody, dogs included are looking at me like WTH lady, make up your mind!
Then we finally make it out to the play yard, and toddlers start pulling off mittens. Or hats. Or they fall down and cry, not even trying to get back up. The older ones are upset because I won't let them use the sleds. It was hard crusty FAST sliding and we have enough of a slope that they could pick up some serious speed before crashing into the fence. Then 1 of the toddlers lays on her stomach and starts licking the ice/snow. Pretty soon everybody has caught onto that idea.
And the best part of it all is we get to do it all over again today!!!
kitykids3 04:57 AM 12-05-2014
I'm reading your post and thinking, this is exactly how it is for me to get my 6 kiddos out. It's exhausting doing it twice a day. 3 of the 6 kiddos are babies though. 1 screams the whole time we're dressing her and even outside sometimes. The other 2 babies are ok, but one is 7 months so he chills in his carseat and the other 2 are 12 months so learning how to move, more like thinking they can't move. lol My one girl who turns 3 in a couple weeks gets frustrated and whiny very easy so half the time she's whining. They scatter to other rooms, start playing with toys when not even dressed, walk on the carpet with their boots on. Just kinda crazy.
Laurel 05:22 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Is anyone else close to throwing a temper tantrum every time it's outside time? I refuse to give up outdoor time, even if it takes half the day to get them all ready but it's got to be one of the most exasperating parts of daycare(that and potty training).
UGH!!!!!
I have one that can get herself completely ready and the others need help for most of it. And then there's the mitten-pullers, hat-throwers, screamers cause they want to do it themselves, toddlers who are half ready and take off to the other room.
Yesterday afternoon, it took us 30 minutes to get 5 kids all suited up. I also have 2 dogs we take out on leashes with us. I check everybody out, round up the 2 wandering toddlers from the playroom, make sure everybody still has their hats/mittens on and we head out the door. No easy feat. I happen to look down at one of the toddlers and she's missing a boot. Her snowpants are long and I didn't notice it before so we all trail back into the house, have to search for her boot, then we all traipse back out. Everybody, dogs included are looking at me like WTH lady, make up your mind!
Then we finally make it out to the play yard, and toddlers start pulling off mittens. Or hats. Or they fall down and cry, not even trying to get back up. The older ones are upset because I won't let them use the sleds. It was hard crusty FAST sliding and we have enough of a slope that they could pick up some serious speed before crashing into the fence. Then 1 of the toddlers lays on her stomach and starts licking the ice/snow. Pretty soon everybody has caught onto that idea.
And the best part of it all is we get to do it all over again today!!!
All in a day's work.

I am retired now but this brings back pleasant memories. Yes, pleasant. I'm in Florida but I did it with my own three when we lived in Ohio. Even here, it isn't snow related but I did the same things for outings to the park. I'd get them ready and pack a lunch and the logistics could be unreal! But, for some reason, I kind of liked it. I remember having two babies in a double stroller and two walking holding onto the stroller and two older ones walking in front of the stroller. I felt like Mary Poppins or Maria Von Trapp with all the kids! People would look and smile or make comments in awe. I felt proud that I could accomplish all that. Plus it takes up time. It is much better than hearing them whining inside. At least we were 'doing something' with our time. When I had a very active group I made a point to do a park trip everyday. They napped so well cause we had to walk there, play, and walk back. It is a 15 minute walk for me alone and we went at turtle speed.

Ahhh, the good 'ol days.

Laurel
Unregistered 09:11 AM 12-05-2014
Yes!!!!! This is my day. Twice a day. It's horrible.
e.j. 11:01 AM 12-05-2014
Our first and, so far, only measurable snowfall happened the day before Thanksgiving. It all melted before the kids came back from the holiday weekend so I haven't had to do the snow suits and boots yet this year. I know it's only a matter of time, though. I'm close to throwing a temper tantrum just thinking about it! There are no words to adequately express how much I dislike having to take the kids out in winter!! I feel your pain! (We need a temper tantrum emoticon!)
Heidi 12:52 PM 12-05-2014
Yeah, our record is 40 minutes to get ready for 5 minutes outside. We weren't even off the porch before the first mittens are FALLING off.

One (18 m) falls over after 3 steps in full snow gear and then screams while flopping like a fish on the dock. He doesn't even try. That's how he is about everything, though. Mr. Drama...

I hate, hate, hate mittens. I have yet to find a pair that are warm enough and can go on UNDER the coat and stay on. Why don't they make snap-on mittens for toddler coats?

In the fall and spring, I just use over-sized athletic socks. Pull them up to their armpits, then the coat over the top. They're not warm enough or water proof enough for snow, though.
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Yeah, our record is 40 minutes to get ready for 5 minutes outside. We weren't even off the porch before the first mittens are FALLING off.

One (18 m) falls over after 3 steps in full snow gear and then screams while flopping like a fish on the dock. He doesn't even try. That's how he is about everything, though. Mr. Drama...

I hate, hate, hate mittens. I have yet to find a pair that are warm enough and can go on UNDER the coat and stay on. Why don't they make snap-on mittens for toddler coats?

In the fall and spring, I just use over-sized athletic socks. Pull them up to their armpits, then the coat over the top. They're not warm enough or water proof enough for snow, though.
One of my DCM's took her child's waterproof mittens and sewed long athletic socks (with the foot/toe cut off) to the ends of the mittens to make them longer. Now EVERYONE'S mittens have ends that go up over the elbows and under the coat.

Everyone's mittens stay on. Mostly because they can't get them off.

They also make mittens that have longer ends for the same purpose... They are called L-bowz
http://www.lbow.com/
Attached: collage.jpg (108.8 KB) 
Josiegirl 02:28 PM 12-05-2014
Last year someone here suggested slipping socks right over the mittens and that works but sometimes I'm feeling lazy and don't. But that really does work.
I have a couple sisters whose parents bought some really nice mittens at a place called FarmWay. They're longer than normal and have a strap at the wrist that you can tighten so they do stay on. They're great.

It's just a process and seems to take forever, with the 2 steps forward, 1 step back. But my sweet little toddler who lost her boot yesterday kept telling me today 'my boot still on'.
Heidi 06:03 AM 12-06-2014
The problem with the mittens here is that I can't get them through the coat sleeves. I say "push, push, push", but with everyone of my kids, I have to reach my hand UP the sleeve and pull the mitten (and hopefully the hand, too) down through the sleeve. It's such a tight fit and they don't help. With the socks, there's enough room that they can help a little. With the thick mittens, it's just a fight.
Tags:outside play winter, temper tantrum
Reply Up