Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wording paid holidays
lovemykidstoo 11:21 AM 12-09-2014
I need to send out a notice regarding the days that I have off for the holidays and what is paid and what is not. I absolutely hate doing this I still feel awkward telling parents that Christmas Day and New Years Day are paid holidays. I just feel funny about it. I'm only taking those 2 days and the "Eve's" off. The Eves are un-paid, but the actual holiday day are paid. anyone want to help me with that? Thanks!!
Annalee 11:29 AM 12-09-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I need to send out a notice regarding the days that I have off for the holidays and what is paid and what is not. I absolutely hate doing this I still feel awkward telling parents that Christmas Day and New Years Day are paid holidays. I just feel funny about it. I'm only taking those 2 days and the "Eve's" off. The Eves are un-paid, but the actual holiday day are paid. anyone want to help me with that? Thanks!!
This is why I charge 52 weeks a yr..I place in contract and handbook the days I will be closed. By charging regardless, it eliminates the "do I pay" and "do I not pay" days for clients..... maybe you could put a list up of paid days and non paid days and hope all clients read it...good luck!
lovemykidstoo 11:34 AM 12-09-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
This is why I charge 52 weeks a yr..I place in contract and handbook the days I will be closed. By charging regardless, it eliminates the "do I pay" and "do I not pay" days for clients..... maybe you could put a list up of paid days and non paid days and hope all clients read it...good luck!
They have it in the information that they signed upon enrollment, but it seems like some always need to ask and I feel awkward about it. So you charge even if you're on vacation? I only charge for I think it's 6 holidays.
NeedaVaca 11:37 AM 12-09-2014
I just send out a simple letter titled "Holiday Schedule" I list every day I'm off and next to it I type Paid Holiday, Paid vacation, Paid personal day etc...
Annalee 11:42 AM 12-09-2014
They have it in the information that they signed upon enrollment, but it seems like some always need to ask and I feel awkward about it. So you charge even if you're on vacation? I only charge for I think it's 6 holidays.
Yep, 52 weeks a yr....this covers emergency days, holidays, vacation, emergency days, etc......even when I took maternity leave (7 days each child), they paid!!!! Sure, I lose some at interview but I also manage to stay full. I have been in business 22 plus years....I am known as the daycare who has the lady who is adamant about her contract but I am also known as the daycare where there is NO pretense....what you see is what you get....I am very informative through monthly newsletters, parent board, etc. In my annual review at the end of each year, my biggest compliment clients say is "we know exactly what to expect and we also know what she expects of us as parents:
lovemykidstoo 11:57 AM 12-09-2014
Yep, 52 weeks a yr....this covers emergency days, holidays, vacation, emergency days, etc......even when I took maternity leave (7 days each child), they paid!!!! Sure, I lose some at interview but I also manage to stay full. I have been in business 22 plus years....I am known as the daycare who has the lady who is adamant about her contract but I am also known as the daycare where there is NO pretense....what you see is what you get....I am very informative through monthly newsletters, parent board, etc. In my annual review at the end of each year, my biggest compliment clients say is "we know exactly what to expect and we also know what she expects of us as parents:
I wish I could get paid vacation. Where I live it would never fly. That's great that you're able to get it.
Annalee 12:06 PM 12-09-2014
I wish I could get paid vacation. Where I live it would never fly. That's great that you're able to get it.
In 2000, a 30-hr (6 classes) orientation was offered to providers for free....it was the best thing that happened to me...This was the first class ever and the orientation is still available to this day a few times a yr...I almost would take it again....I credit this orientation as my metamorphosis I was able to meet providers who got paid for vacation, had individualized contracts, set their own hrs, etc.....I would drive home every night thinking "i can't do that cause i will lose kids" BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, I did it and I didn't lose kids....I dealt with a lot of flack from parents and I was very nervous going about it....I was strong to their face but after they would leave, I was weak as water My dad has since passed but he would tell me during this transition to appear "non-negotiable to parents" because if they sensed my insecurity they would use that against me! So now it is not so hard to enforce my contract but that was a long time in the making.....This class taught me to empower and take care of myself (not become heartless) but to set my business up where it benefitted my own family.
lovemykidstoo 12:08 PM 12-09-2014
This is what I just sent out. How does it look?

The upcoming schedule for the holidays:
Monday, December 22 Open as a regular Day
Tuesday, December 23 Open as a regular Day
Wednesday, December 24 Closed as a unpaid vacation day
Thursday, December 25 Closed as a paid holiday
Monday, December 29 Open as regular day
Tuesday, December 30 Open as a regular day
Wednesday, December 31 Closed as an unpaid vacation day
Thursday, January 1 Closed as a paid holiday
Since the bi-weekly payment is due on Thursday, January 1 and I'm closed that day, payment is due on Tuesday, December 30. That is not a problem at all. If anyone wants to come on either Tuesday instead of the Wednesday or Thursday, just PM me and let me know. Since everyone most likely won't be here at the same time during those weeks, I'm going to have the Christmas party for the kids on Wednesday, December 17. That way everyone is here together.
Also, starting January 9, if anyone needs care on Fridays, let me know. Just give me a few days notice so I don't make any appointments that day. Thanks!!!
melilley 12:09 PM 12-09-2014
I give out a list of paid closed paid days at the beginning of the year and then I write a newsletter at the beginning of each season stating the days that I have off. I will also post a reminder of my days off the Monday before my closing and ask that they pay (I'm prepay) on their last day of care for the current week, for the next week. This also reminds them that my holiday is paid so I never have to come right out and remind anyone.

I have Jan. 1, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, Christmas Eve and day, all paid, plus 5 personal and one week of vacation. Plus if I don't use my personal days, I stated that I use them the week of Christmas. Parents know of all my paid days off when they sign on. I haven't had any problems yet. I also have another vacation week, but that's not paid and I give my families one week vacation equal to the number of days that they are contracted for.
lovemykidstoo 12:10 PM 12-09-2014
In 2000, a 30-hr (6 classes) orientation was offered to providers for free....it was the best thing that happened to me...This was the first class ever and the orientation is still available to this day a few times a yr...I almost would take it again....I credit this orientation as my metamorphosis I was able to meet providers who got paid for vacation, had individualized contracts, set their own hrs, etc.....I would drive home every night thinking "i can't do that cause i will lose kids" BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, I did it and I didn't lose kids....I dealt with a lot of flack from parents and I was very nervous going about it....I was strong to their face but after they would leave, I was weak as water My dad has since passed but he would tell me during this transition to appear "non-negotiable to parents" because if they sensed my insecurity they would use that against me! So now it is not so hard to enforce my contract but that was a long time in the making.....This class taught me to empower and take care of myself (not become heartless) but to set my business up where it benefitted my own family.
I think it's great!! Do other providers in your area get paid vacation as well? Noone does here and I'm actually one of the higher per day daycares around here, so I think I would lose quite a bit of people. Alot of my families don't have family here either, so most likely they would have to pay double for daycare for the week.
melilley 12:13 PM 12-09-2014

I am slowly getting a backbone and not letting parents see how nice and big hearted I am. I just got screwed over from a family who I bent over backwards for and it's not going to happen again!
You're right, we are not heartless, but we need to stick up for ourselves!
Annalee 12:14 PM 12-09-2014
I think it's great!! Do other providers in your area get paid vacation as well? Noone does here and I'm actually one of the higher per day daycares around here, so I think I would lose quite a bit of people. Alot of my families don't have family here either, so most likely they would have to pay double for daycare for the week.
The licensed family child cares here get paid vacations but I can't speak for the centers.....I close all school holidays but other fcc providers choose their own holidays....I also take 5 personal days to be used consecutive or not and get professional days as needed for conferences and 2 weeks vacation per year. I have unlimited emergency days...the emergency days cover if water or electricity is down, funerals or sickness in my family....( my brother had 2 heart attacks last yr receiving stints both times so it was nice to be able to close for that).....I have learned if a client wants your services they will make it work!
Annalee 12:17 PM 12-09-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:

I am slowly getting a backbone and not letting parents see how nice and big hearted I am. I just got screwed over from a family who I bent over backwards for and it's not going to happen again!
You're right, we are not heartless, but we need to stick up for ourselves!
Even though I am stiff with my contract, I still come across those parents but it is just not as hard for me to deal with those problems now...they either abide by my rules or they leave.
Jack Sprat 12:31 PM 12-09-2014
I'm changing to this in 2015.
Annalee 12:47 PM 12-09-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I'm changing to this in 2015.
These changes changed my life...my morale is much better and I love going to work because I feel like amidst all the issues of sickness/death that I can't control, I CAN control my daycare....QRIS has thrown some kinks in that but I am surviving now!
Reply Up