Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you expect from your 2's?
Francine 04:25 AM 03-11-2015
Behavior wise, what do you expect from your 2's? I'm wondering if I am expecting to much out of my group of 2's, I would love to hear what all of your expectations are for kids between 2 and 3.

Do you expect them to follow rules, no throwing toys, no jumping on the couch for example?

Any advice that you can give me in regards to dealing with a group of 2 year olds will be greatly appreciated, please, before I pull my hair out LOL
Indoorvoice 04:55 AM 03-11-2015
I absolutely expect 2 year olds to follow rules. It may be more difficult for them than it would be an older child, but I think kids actually do better when you have high expectations of them. I don't have a degree in early childhood, but what works for me when working with that age or even younger is lots of praise for when they are behaving well, and immediate meaningful consequences without using a ton of words when they aren't following rules.
Gemma 05:37 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Francine:
Behavior wise, what do you expect from your 2's? I'm wondering if I am expecting to much out of my group of 2's, I would love to hear what all of your expectations are for kids between 2 and 3.

Do you expect them to follow rules, no throwing toys, no jumping on the couch for example?

Any advice that you can give me in regards to dealing with a group of 2 year olds will be greatly appreciated, please, before I pull my hair out LOL
When a 1yr old can obey the rules (with reminders of course) I absolutely expect the same from older kids!.... follow directions, obey the rules, stay where they're told and play nice with respect for others and things!

It doesn't matter if at home they are in charge of whatever, they soon understand if they are to have any fun at my house, they better do things my way!
Gemma 05:49 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
. I don't have a degree in early childhood, but what works for me when working with that age or even younger is lots of praise for when they are behaving well, and immediate meaningful consequences without using a ton of words when they aren't following rules.

jenboo 06:24 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
When a 1yr old can obey the rules (with reminders of course) I absolutely expect the same from older kids!.... follow directions, obey the rules, stay where they're told and play nice with respect for others and things!

It doesn't matter if at home they are in charge of whatever, they soon understand if they are to have any fun at my house, they better do things my way!

jenboo 06:27 AM 03-11-2015
My twos could all sit quite for a couple minutes when asked, sit on their bottoms at the table, asked to be excused when done eating, dump leftover food in the trash and put their plate on the counter. They all know that running feet and throwing toys are outside activities. They all could clean up and put the toys in the correct places, etc.
And I'm taking about a very roudy group of boys here.
Controlled Chaos 01:53 PM 03-11-2015
I expect 2s to sit a the table (in little chairs not high chairs), clear their spots (with guidance), drink from a regular cup, follow simple directions, show gentle hands upon request, pick up their toys, and I expect them to respond well to redirection and encouragement I also expect them to occasional drive me insane
originalkat 07:33 AM 03-12-2015
I expect 2's to do all of the same things as older kids but at an appropriate level and with assistance as needed (except I expect to need to give them gentle reminders on a regular basis). For the most part they follow the example of the older kids and learn the expectations that way. Some of the things they are expected to do are:
1) Sit at the table to eat meals, color etc
2) Drink from an open cup and use utensils and throw away their trash
3) Use quiet voices and not run or jump on furniture etc
4) Play with toys nicely (no throwing or banging etc)
5) Not hit or be rough etc (although this will happen, they are taught that it is not acceptable)
6) Put on their own shoes (with assistance).
7) Put their things away in their cubby after outside time.
8) Get their own pull up or wipes or extra clothes when needed ( I assist in the bathroom of course, but they gather their own supplies)
9) Put their art papers in their own mailbox when they are finished.
10) Make acceptable play choices ( I do not believe in being overly involved in the children's play)
Reply Up