Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time off...?
Unregistered 06:34 PM 03-14-2015
This is my first year running a home daycare and I'm a little uncertain about time off...As I haven't needed much or it's worked out since I started with one family that needed care Mon - Thurs. Anyways, just this week I have had a few questions raise in my mind.

What if I got sick or hurt, could I call in sick?

I know my husband could take my kids to the doctor....but I really like to do that. And if my kids are sick, I want to be able to care for them...I don't mind having the other kids around, as long as the parents are ok with them receiving a bit less attention. How have you dealt with this scenario?

And, finally, the simplest question...Again, I know my husband can do this, but I like to take my kids to their well child visits. Could I say I'm closing early or starting late? I don't mind coordinating a bit to make it work for as many ppl as possible (I care for 2 families and they are easy to get along with).

Any suggestions with any of these issues?
Unregistered 08:15 PM 03-14-2015
Always do what is best for your family. You will never regret it. I arrange well visits in advance and give plenty of notice. When my kids are sick, I send out a text and dcp can decide to bring their child. If my children are very sick or continuosly vomiting, I just call off. Every family should have a back up. Life happens.
Josiegirl 04:01 AM 03-15-2015
It's definitely a juggling act. When my own kids were little, I did take off more time than I do now. It's in my handbook that parents NEED dependable back up because things happen. If you have Fridays off, that certainly helps you plan appts. and such. As far as your own kids being sick, I think that's a case by case call. If you can keep them separate while still tending to them as much as they need, I'd just give the parents a head's up about the sickness. I found most times they bring their kids anyways.
If you're sick, it again depends on how much you can do as far as taking care of the dcks. I called out 2 days this winter because I couldn't get out of bed or out of the bathroom. And if I need to make an appt. for myself, I try to make it the end of the day so all I have to do is close an hour early.
Yes, I always feel that little stab of guilt but hey we're only human too. We're not robots, we get sick, we have appts. to keep. I do my best to plan ahead but life happens.
Just remember, you and your family come first! Just like their families come first for them.
hope 04:10 AM 03-15-2015
If possible see if you can hire a sub for such instances. When my own children are sick i notify the parents to let them now. Then i have my sub here to care for daycare kids as i care for my own children. I am able to then keep sick quarantined properly and parents are not inconvenienced. I use my sub when i have doctors visits or would like to attend things at my childs school such as field trips or class party.
A sub is difficult to find because you are essentially hiring someone with out a promise of clear steady hours. I use a college student that I have known for years.
PP did give good advice that you should always put your own family first. Over the years i have made many exceptions for families and have gone out of my way to help them. Many of these families come and go. They are not worth sacrificing your families needs for.
Josiegirl 04:18 AM 03-15-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
They are not worth sacrificing your families needs for.
SO SO true!!!
I had a dcm voice concerns over what SHE was going to do with her ds, as my mother lay dying. I told myself, 'you've only got one mom in this life, you'll get tons of dcfs.'
If your dcfs are worth keeping, they'll understand.
Unregistered 09:10 AM 03-16-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Always do what is best for your family. You will never regret it. I arrange well visits in advance and give plenty of notice. When my kids are sick, I send out a text and dcp can decide to bring their child. If my children are very sick or continuosly vomiting, I just call off. Every family should have a back up. Life happens.
Yes.
I have set days off I post at the beginning of every year. If I need time off for Dr's I give my dcf a months notice. I try to do multiple appointments in one day.
You can look for other providers that could possibly do drop in care. Look up centers that do to refer parents to.
Don't feel bad! If your sick, your sick. Same with your family. I usually work if my family is sick but have called in sick a few times with the flu. Honestly, if they are unhappy with you calling in sick they can look for alternative care. Life happens.
AmyKidsCo 09:20 AM 03-16-2015
I try to schedule appointments late in the day so I can just close early instead of taking a whole day, and give dcf as much notice as I can - I shoot for 3-4 weeks. So far I've inly had to close 3-4 times for illness in the past 15 years. When that happens I call early in the morning. They all know they need a backup plan.
Reply Up