Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents In Denial About Their Kids
Unregistered 01:53 PM 11-12-2016
Anyone ever have a dck who clearly had a developmental issue and the parents either made excuses for it or acknowledged it but did nothing?
There is a girl in my class (4) who has something going on, severe speech delay, social issues, etc. She would for sure qualify for early intervention programs. But as far as I can tell nothing is being done to help her. Being in my class is fine but I cannot give her the individual attention she needs throughout the day to really thrive. She's just getting by but I do not think I am really helping much. And the other kids know she's different but when they start to point it out I never know what to say.
Other kids have obvious speech problems but no one is addressing it. Or behavior problems.
I guess I wonder, do these parents just wait until kindergarten to get called out for this stuff?
Unregistered 09:29 AM 11-13-2016
Oh gosh! I worked for birth to three for some time. Often enough I was referring kids under two for speech delays, as well as other concerns about delays, but the majority were speech. Of course some where children born with medical issues also.

Many of the referrals for speech were children about 24 mo. After they aged out at three they went into early childhood programs at the school.

Do you have an agency in your area to refer to? I at times had referrals from child care providers. They always spoke to the parents and let them know their concerns and that they were referring.

Technically they could refer without telling the parents, but that would be awkward.

My area does a really good job of screening and reaching kids way before age 4!
BumbleBee 01:06 PM 11-13-2016
yes. I have no answers.

4 year old not talking at all. Had some other delays. Parents insisted he was fine. Never evaluated or received services.

Recommended 3 times in a yr that a 3 year old be evaluated. Parents never followed through. He went to GSRP, referred for speech. Ended up going to Young 5's instead of Kindergarten the following year because of his speech.

On the flip side, had a 2 yr old with an obvious speech issue. Mom had her evaluated at Early On. They said she was fine. Child turned 3, no change in the speech issue, mom took her to ISD (too old for Early On), they said she was fine. Child turned 4, started at GSRP...she was referred for speech after 2 weeks. Both GSRP's are run through the ISD along with both Head Starts.

I've had other issues with the ISD here. They think they're all powerful but really they have no idea what they're doing. Especially the early education portion of it.
Play Care 05:34 AM 11-14-2016
Yup. Had a family of two boys last year. Oldest clearly had delays. Mom was in complete denial.
They are no longer here - I've since realized they are "hoppers" moving from day care to day care, probably so they can remain in denial.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 11-14-2016
All children in my area must have an early childhood screening completed before Kindergarten entrance so any delays the parents are aware of and in denial about or any delays parents haven't seen yet are usually noticed and addressed.

I can tell parents my concerns but I can't force them to agree or to do anything about it.
Ariana 09:20 AM 11-14-2016
I am routinely is relationships with parents in denial. It is a very difficult situation to be in because there is nothing you can do for this child and you know how important early intervention is.

I currently have a dcg who has severe speech delays, mentioned it to the parents at 18 months and they are taking the wait and see approach. She will be 3 in January and zero improvement in her delay and now is stuttering.

Had a child earlier this year that I had to terminate due to suspected ASD. Mom was in denial about that so I had to terminate.

I had a child a few years ago that I recommended the mom take to an SLP and she told me she already had and everything was fine. I knew she was lying. I had to terminate and found out later child was completely deaf. He was 2.5 before the parents clued in.

It sucks
Reply Up