Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Refusing to Drink - Spitting Out
Baby Beluga 09:23 AM 12-08-2016
12 month old refuses to drink here. Mom is transitioning him from formula to whole milk. He drinks water with breakfast, milk mid morning, water with lunch and milk with PM snack (per a schedule mom and I made).

He refuses to drink here. He will take a sip and spit it out OR will refuse to drink at all. His diapers are wet and he is eating normal. I have two cups here, both mom said he uses with success at home.

At home he is given a bottle in his crib when he is put down to sleep and still wakes up in the middle of the night to feed. Here is gets a cup (brought from home) in the high chair.

I personally think he is refusing to drink here and spitting his drink out (he does it will water and milk - more so with milk) because he feeds at home on his back/in his crib.

Do I need to be concerned about this? I don't care what happens at home. Mom knows I cannot give DCB anything to drink while he is laying down. She hasn't said anything other than "stinker" when I mention to her he hasn't drunk (drank? lol) much.

Aside from keeping my eating and drinking routine the same, any advice? I have never had a child refuse to drink before.
Blackcat31 09:34 AM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
12 month old refuses to drink here. Mom is transitioning him from formula to whole milk. He drinks water with breakfast, milk mid morning, water with lunch and milk with PM snack (per a schedule mom and I made).

He refuses to drink here. He will take a sip and spit it out OR will refuse to drink at all. His diapers are wet and he is eating normal. I have two cups here, both mom said he uses with success at home.

At home he is given a bottle in his crib when he is put down to sleep and still wakes up in the middle of the night to feed. Here is gets a cup (brought from home) in the high chair.

I personally think he is refusing to drink here and spitting his drink out (he does it will water and milk - more so with milk) because he feeds at home on his back/in his crib.

Do I need to be concerned about this? I don't care what happens at home. Mom knows I cannot give DCB anything to drink while he is laying down. She hasn't said anything other than "stinker" when I mention to her he hasn't drunk (drank? lol) much.

Aside from keeping my eating and drinking routine the same, any advice? I have never had a child refuse to drink before.
Personally I would just keep doing what you are doing.

I would however call for pickup immediately if you notice his diapers being dry for an extended period of time or if you notice any type of fall out from his resistance....constipation etc....

Otherwise, just keep offering and eventually he should catch on that this is the way it is.

I have a DCK in care that during transition from bottle to cup went through a period of resistance.... Mom started to panic and started offering 101 choices and options.....

Lordy...what a mess that created. I think often times parents looking for that one combination of what works end up doing more harm than good. Why does anyone need 14 different choices or styles of cups? One that holds liquid is the same as any other... and eventually all kids end up using a regular old cup like everyone else.

So anyways, I think just doing what you are doing and allowing him the option of choosing when he's ready is the best way to handle it. Too much attention and stress and the child starts getting anxiety too.....
Pestle 09:41 AM 12-08-2016
If he has a good wet diaper after drop off, then he's probably loading up with fluids at home. It sounds like he's reversed his schedule, taking in more fluid at night, and skipping it during the daytime. Unless you see signs of dehydration, I wouldn't worry about.

I would say, unless you experience major constipation issues, just keep providing the cup but don't force the issue. If there's constipation, use applesauce, melon, cucumber, and other watery foods to rehydrate. You can mash sweet potatoes with a lot of milk, make thinned-down yogurt smoothies, etc. if you need to get the milk into him.

I don't offer bottles or sippies to toddlers; I offer shot glass-sized cups to any child old enough to sit up and hold a small cup. The ritual of pouring a small amount into the cup, drinking, and refilling makes my kids interested in the process and more likely to drink. I also steep herbal tea for the kids, and they love putting the bag into a mug and waiting for it to be portioned out for them. I've had luck getting a kid with chronic constipation to drink a lot more that way.
daycarediva 09:47 AM 12-08-2016
Keep doing what you're doing. He will give in eventually.

I would offer foods with high water content (which are pretty much fresh fruit and vegetables, so probably something you already do anyway)

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/list...tent-8958.html
Baby Beluga 10:06 AM 12-08-2016
Thank you for confirming ladies Sometimes you know what you need to do but it helps to run it by another provider to confirm.
Mom2Two 11:08 AM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Keep doing what you're doing. He will give in eventually.

I would offer foods with high water content (which are pretty much fresh fruit and vegetables, so probably something you already do anyway)

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/list...tent-8958.html
ITA on the wet food. If a child didn't drink much and began having constipation problems I would only offer wet food or only give dry food after the child had had some drink.

I have one that likes juice so much that he has resisted drinking milk or water here. He also has bad constipation problems and I don't serve much juice here. So in the end I said he had to finish his drink (water or milk) before I'd give him Cheerios or whatever dry food is on the menu. I do give him the fruit and vegies though to eat while he works on his drink.
Tags:transitioning - breast to bottle, won't drink, won't drink milk
Reply Up