Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Play in Winter Weather
happymom 09:58 AM 12-06-2016
It's been in the 30s/40s here lately and my son has hats, mittens and warm snow coat every day.

In good weather the kids play outside 4 times per day. I ask him about playing outside and they have hardly been playing outside, sometimes once a day, sometimes none. It seems that they are watching movies instead.

Is it too cold to play outside? I'm only intermittently outside during the day but only in a hoodie and I'm fine/doesn't seem to cold. But I don't do daycare, I don't know what it's like, should they be going outside? I really feel guilty he's not getting outside time as it's dark when I pick him up at 5
laundrymom 10:03 AM 12-06-2016
Kudos to you for providing gear. Not all people are as prepared.
Personally I try to get out daily in cool weather but it is hard. We generally go out for about ten mulinutes right after nap at the warmest part of the day. But it really depends on the wind. If it's dreary and cold we do a ton of large motor, silly dancing or climbing inside. We play active inside most of the winter.
Originally Posted by happymom:
It's been in the 30s/40s here lately and my son has hats, mittens and warm snow coat every day.

In good weather the kids play outside 4 times per day. I ask him about playing outside and they have hardly been playing outside, sometimes once a day, sometimes none. It seems that they are watching movies instead.

Is it too cold to play outside? I'm only intermittently outside during the day but only in a hoodie and I'm fine/doesn't seem to cold. But I don't do daycare, I don't know what it's like, should they be going outside? I really feel guilty he's not getting outside time as it's dark when I pick him up at 5

happymom 10:07 AM 12-06-2016
He did tell me on the first cold day that they couldn't play outside (at all) because he was the only one with mittens and a hat.

It just sucks that the unprepared parents ruin it for ALL the kids.
Play Care 10:22 AM 12-06-2016
Ideally they should be getting out daily, as those temps are perfect for outdoor winter play.
But as a pp mentioned, not everyone sends their kids in with appropriate gear. And center employees don't have much authority to demand the parents come back with that stuff.

That said, I would be annoyed by the movie watching, Although they might not be able to get outside, there should be an alternative indoor large muscle activity. I just don't think daily videos are okay.
daycarediva 10:45 AM 12-06-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Ideally they should be getting out daily, as those temps are perfect for outdoor winter play.
But as a pp mentioned, not everyone sends their kids in with appropriate gear. And center employees don't have much authority to demand the parents come back with that stuff.

That said, I would be annoyed by the movie watching, Although they might not be able to get outside, there should be an alternative indoor large muscle activity. I just don't think daily videos are okay.

Yup. We have been dancing to christmas music, playing with scarves and musical instruments, bear walking, crab walking, etc.

I turned a parent away at the door yesterday and called a parent for pick up today. It's 30's and sunny, we are going outside!

I would just ask them what's going on. I'm guessing it's because the kids aren't dressed properly.
happymom 10:46 AM 12-06-2016
I don't want to be a pest but I think it needs addressing. When I picked up my son yesterday he was watching a movie....then he told me about another movie they watched yesterday.

He still has a little difficulty differentiating days (today from yesterday...sometimes when he naps he thinks that the morning was one day and the afternoon is a whole different day) but I think they watched at least TWO movies yesterday...I'm kind of irked by that, so the director will be getting an email about it.
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 12-06-2016
I don't want to be a pest but I think it needs addressing. When I picked up my son yesterday he was watching a movie....then he told me about another movie they watched yesterday.

He still has a little difficulty differentiating days (today from yesterday...sometimes when he naps he thinks that the morning was one day and the afternoon is a whole different day) but I think they watched at least TWO movies yesterday...I'm kind of irked by that, so the director will be getting an email about it.
"Because outdoor play is required each day, weather permitting, there must be some provision for shade year
round."
~Page 5 of Outdoor Environment rules and regulations for Utah Child Care Centers

https://www.daycare.com/utah/utah-da...uirements.html

You should also easily be able to tell what your child did all day based on the posted daily schedule...

"The provider shall post a daily schedule for preschool and school-age groups. The daily schedule shall include, at a minimum, meal, snack, nap/rest, and outdoor play times." ~ R430-100-20.

https://www.daycare.com/utah/20c.pdf
racemom 11:24 AM 12-06-2016
We go outside any day it is 35 or above (this is state recommended temp, we use to go out every day). Our center is a no electronics, tv, battery operated toys, daycare. So yes, we do lots of silly dancing, crawling, large motor games inside when we cannot go out. My schedule is a little looser on mornings we cannot go outside, as I have an hour to fill that is normal outside time, but definitely keep them moving!
Controlled Chaos 12:03 PM 12-06-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"Because outdoor play is required each day, weather permitting, there must be some provision for shade year
round."
~Page 5 of Outdoor Environment rules and regulations for Utah Child Care Centers

https://www.daycare.com/utah/utah-da...uirements.html

You should also easily be able to tell what your child did all day based on the posted daily schedule...

"The provider shall post a daily schedule for preschool and school-age groups. The daily schedule shall include, at a minimum, meal, snack, nap/rest, and outdoor play times." ~ R430-100-20.

https://www.daycare.com/utah/20c.pdf

Hello Neighbor-
We are still getting outside here for an hour everyday. Today they were even stripping off hats and mittens because they were hot in the son But it really was beautiful out.

And there are plenty of indoor activities to do that aren't movies! Not an excuse.
jenboo 03:50 PM 12-06-2016
We were out today and it was 31 and snowing. Yesterday was 29 and we were out for 30 minutes
Pestle 09:58 AM 12-07-2016
I've just shifted the first outdoor play session from 8:30 to 10:00, so it's not so chilly. I have just one infant, so he goes out zipped under my jacket.
Mom2Two 01:21 PM 12-07-2016
I'm in Utah too, and the weather has been pretty nice and we get out most days. We do watch movies too (during quiet time) or for some other reasons sometimes.

Is your provider licensed? Full-time kids are supposed to spend an hour outside and part-time are supposed to spend 30 min. It doesn't work out everyday though. Today my daughter is sick and I can't get out, so we are watching more than one movie today to break up the routine.

But four times a day seems like a lot when you're trying to get a bunch of kiddos in their boots/coats etc to get outside, then washing off the boots when they're done etc. And some kids love it and other are crying when they touch some snow and it makes their hands red and cold.
happymom 01:30 PM 12-07-2016
Maybe they change it in the winter to go outside less often for more time. I will have to look in to this. "Weather permitting" seems open to interpretation.

My daycare is a fully licensed daycare center. Over the summer when I would pick up they were ALWAYS outside, they'd go out once before breakfast, once before nap, once in the afternoon and then once in the late afternoon (around 5pm+), but now that it's winter they are always doing circle time when I drop off and always watching a movie when I pick up.

Today my son is sick so he is not in care either boo for sick kids!
midaycare 01:36 PM 12-07-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
We go outside any day it is 35 or above (this is state recommended temp, we use to go out every day). Our center is a no electronics, tv, battery operated toys, daycare. So yes, we do lots of silly dancing, crawling, large motor games inside when we cannot go out. My schedule is a little looser on mornings we cannot go outside, as I have an hour to fill that is normal outside time, but definitely keep them moving!
35 or above? Isn't Nebraska a cold state? Wow, do you guys stay in for 6 months? I'm shocked.
midaycare 01:39 PM 12-07-2016
Every time I see these posts I have to wonder why people are such...wimps We go outside unless there is fear of frost bite in a few minutes. It's winter. Button up
happymom 01:47 PM 12-07-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
every time i see these posts i have to wonder why people are such...wimps We go outside unless there is fear of frost bite in a few minutes. It's winter. Button up
yup!!
midaycare 03:10 PM 12-07-2016
yup!!
I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, I just can't honestly imagine keeping kids inside all winter.

But I will say...snow gear is a pita when you have 6 kids that needs help I get better as winter goes on, but right now it takes about 10 minutes.
happymom 03:43 PM 12-07-2016
All the kids in my son's class are starting kindergarten in the fall, so I'd think they shouldn't need help at this point...but what do I know
Blackcat31 04:30 PM 12-07-2016
All the kids in my son's class are starting kindergarten in the fall, so I'd think they shouldn't need help at this point...but what do I know
I have two different parents that often have clothing on inside out, backwards or buttoned wrong.

I am on the fence as to whether it is seriously something they struggle with (...we all have our hurdles ) or if its just plain laziness or not caring.

I usually point it out and they act absentminded or as if they were hurried but again I don't know
midaycare 06:37 PM 12-07-2016
I taught a multi age classroom of 1st and 2nd graders. 40 kids to get ready for recess...oh my word! The second graders were pretty good, but the first graders still need help.
daycarediva 10:38 AM 12-08-2016
I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, I just can't honestly imagine keeping kids inside all winter.

But I will say...snow gear is a pita when you have 6 kids that needs help I get better as winter goes on, but right now it takes about 10 minutes.

YES! Not a single one of my 6 kids can get ready independently. We do everything in steps and I talk it out and hand over hand, depending on need.

1. snowpants
2. coats
3. boots
4. hats
5. mittens

Today we went out twice and it took me 10 minutes easy.
racemom 12:07 PM 12-08-2016
35 or above? Isn't Nebraska a cold state? Wow, do you guys stay in for 6 months? I'm shocked.
I feel like we do! I am not liking this new,suggested temp last year was the first year it was implemented, and it does make for a long winter. We definitely have to find creative ways to stay busy! This week we have gotten to go outside 1 morning and a 2 afternoons is all. It also makes them have a harder time going to sleep, because they need the fresh air and running around. Makes us appreciate outside time, when we get it!
Tags:cold weather, outdoor play, winter
Reply Up