Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Who Has Never Been in a PNP- at Wits End!
legomom922 05:43 AM 10-21-2010
As you may recall, I posted a while back about the problem that I was having with a 16 mo old rocking the PNP. Well the situation has gotten worse..he is a month older and stronger, and almost rolled it over on Tues. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do about this boy! He is way too wild, has way too much energy and is rough with everything he gets his hands on, and CANNOT be left to roam freely, all the time. I must put him in there during clean up, bathroom breaks, and when I am feeding or tending to the 3 mo old.

So I finally brought this up to the mom, to find out if he does it at home, or if he did it at his other sitters house. She told me that she NEVER used a PNP, and neither did her sister when she had watched him. She seemed a little annoyed with me that I even have the nerve to put him in a PNP. I told her I have to have someplace safe to put him where he will be safe while I use the bathroom, clean up after lunch etc. She said well I always let him roam when I clean up, why cant u? I CANT! This kid is ruining my home! He throws toys at my entertainment center which has glass doors, he tries to run over the 3 m old with ride on toys, he dumps the cat food bowl, etc. If she doesnt mind him ruining her house, that is one thing, biut this is NOT my kid!

What can I do? Where else can I put him or how do I get him used to be in there? I have had him since June and its getting worse, not better!
marniewon 05:48 AM 10-21-2010
Can you strap him in to a highchair for those times that you need to be tending to something/someone else?
legomom922 05:57 AM 10-21-2010
Well I dont want to leave him in a highchair when I leave the room though..is that safe??

The other issue with him in a highchair though, is that he is the same way in that!! He will struggle to get out and kick and scream, unless he is eating, but the MOMENT he is done, I go through hell with him in there too!! I give him stuff to play with an dthen he just throws it on the floor. He is a very strong willed child, and I have considered letting him go many times, and would in a heartbeat, if I didnt need the money so badly at the moment..I dread him showing up everyday..
melskids 06:10 AM 10-21-2010
i have one who does the same thing. i bought one of those gated play yard XL things. he sits in that much better cause he's directly on the floor, so i think he thinks he's still free i actually bought two and put them together, so he has a pretty big space to still roam around. he still gets mad and shakes it and screams when he wants out, but its not as bad. he definetely sits there longer.
legomom922 06:19 AM 10-21-2010
Could he knock it over?

What do I do for naps? Let him sleep in that too? Only problem there would be is that I couldnt fit one of those in my nap room...And I dont want him napping in my living room, because when he naps, then I do all my cleaning.
melskids 07:10 AM 10-21-2010
mine cant really knock it over, he can move it when he pushes on it though.

it is pretty big, and does take up alot of room....
Live and Learn 07:27 AM 10-21-2010
Do you have an actual crib?
maybe that would be better for naps.
he sounds very disruptive...can you set up a crib in a bedroom and let him nap there?
I don't use pnp except to nap.
I think I would hold it for your potty break.
I think I would do your clean up during his nap time.
may the force be with you
legomom922 09:12 AM 10-21-2010
No crib and no room for one either..this one drives me nuts, I will NOT hold it for this one. He keeps me running too much..

I am thinking of terminating him..like you said too disruptive
Lilbutterflie 09:36 AM 10-21-2010
I would say try to keep him in one of those XL Play Yard Gates (the kind that go around and make a hexagon shape).
And for sleeping, you might want to try a portable crib instead of a PNP. They take up pretty much the same space a PNP would, but made tough like a crib. And most of them fold up for easy storage. You could probably get a new one for less than $100. Used would even be cheaper.
Good luck!
DancingQueen 09:36 AM 10-21-2010
I have one that is sort of like this.
I always time my pee breaks when I put them in their highchairs buckled in.
I pee fast and even if I don't have to go I make myself go...LOL

I ONLY use the PNP for nap times. and when I put the PNP against a bare wall he wasn't able to reallly rock it too much anymore.

He has calmed down a little bit recently. It helped that I spent two weeks trying to catch him in the act of being destructive. (which was exhausting). And everytime I caught him mid air (or mid swing - or mid toss - or mid dump) I'd stop his arms in motion and calmly say "no. no. We have to be gentle" and for some reason this was enough to redirect him. i did this all day long (a LOT) for about 2 weeks and he has improved a TON. Still not perfect but really has gotten much better.
And he now naps on a mat and does an amazing job - lays right down..
DancingQueen 09:37 AM 10-21-2010
oh and the xl playgates never worked on him.. he was too strong he knocked it over or tilted it so hard that the other end lifted up. They were more of a hazzard than a help for my small house.
melskids 09:48 AM 10-21-2010
sit him on the floor and turn the PNP over on top of him like a cage...

I'M ONLY KIDDING !!!! i was just a thought....
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:51 AM 10-21-2010
I would have another talk with mom, explain that while you respect how she does things, it isnt managable to have him run free in the house. That he has to remain safe while your attention is focused on other tasks through the day,.. That the other childrens safety is also a concern of yours. That he doesnt seem to react well to boundaries. At his age he should know not to run over the baby with a ride on, if not remove the ride on. He will be out of this phase soon enough. Or you have the option of terming him if he cant adjust to your rules.

I wouldnt mention yoru tv stand because to be honest,... if you know a glass stand is a problem, you should remove the glass or find another stand without it. You cant assume that the kids in your home will have the respect that yours have.

Thats what sucks about our jobs,... we have to make so many changes,.. to have a safe environment for the little ones.

Originally Posted by legomom922:
As you may recall, I posted a while back about the problem that I was having with a 16 mo old rocking the PNP. Well the situation has gotten worse..he is a month older and stronger, and almost rolled it over on Tues. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do about this boy! He is way too wild, has way too much energy and is rough with everything he gets his hands on, and CANNOT be left to roam freely, all the time. I must put him in there during clean up, bathroom breaks, and when I am feeding or tending to the 3 mo old.

So I finally brought this up to the mom, to find out if he does it at home, or if he did it at his other sitters house. She told me that she NEVER used a PNP, and neither did her sister when she had watched him. She seemed a little annoyed with me that I even have the nerve to put him in a PNP. I told her I have to have someplace safe to put him where he will be safe while I use the bathroom, clean up after lunch etc. She said well I always let him roam when I clean up, why cant u? I CANT! This kid is ruining my home! He throws toys at my entertainment center which has glass doors, he tries to run over the 3 m old with ride on toys, he dumps the cat food bowl, etc. If she doesnt mind him ruining her house, that is one thing, biut this is NOT my kid!

What can I do? Where else can I put him or how do I get him used to be in there? I have had him since June and its getting worse, not better!

marniewon 10:18 AM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:

HA!!! Love it!!! We always joke (me and my teenage kids) about letting the dog out and putting the kids in the dog crate. Just a joke!! But funny at the time.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:28 AM 10-21-2010
I call my pack n plays "crates". lol I have one who can not be trusted, lol she is as mischevious as she is cute! lol,.. I say,.. Miss Jill Needs to potty,.. Katheryne to the crate for a minute. lol
tenderhearts 10:42 AM 10-21-2010
I had a dcg a few years ago and when she turned about 14 mo, she literally climbed out of it, actually threw herself out of it, it scared the poo out of me. She was very tall for her age. I layed her down walked out of the room down he hall turn around and she was right there, it scared me so bad. So I layed her back down and watched her and she literally climbed up the side and it was not against anything that she could help her climb out, and she flung her leg and fell to the floor, I thought foresure she would break her arm. Told mom about it and warned her about the crib at home, she didn't seem concerned but I couldn't put her back in it and it was a NIGHTMARE for naps, she wouldn't lay down, stay down, NOTHING worked it was terrible.
broncomom1973 11:57 AM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:

Too funny, dh did this to our son one evening when he kept climbing out of his pnp. He said ds just lifted it up and walked around with it. My son is a tuff little guy. He gets his mind set and nothing is going to stop him, lol.
jenh171 05:28 PM 10-21-2010
weight the pack n play down with cinderblocks?
legomom922 03:53 AM 10-22-2010

Problem solved...I terminated him and gave them my 2 wk notice...
Tags:pack n play
Reply Up