Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Who Teach (Summers Off)
ECEVA 06:12 PM 11-09-2013
Any creative ideas for catering to parents who teach and have summers off? I have a middle school within 3 minutes of our new location and a few teachers have inquired. I would like to hold their spot but don't want to give up 8 weeks of revenue.
Tucker 07:52 PM 11-09-2013
I take only teachers kids and I love it! It has worked well for me for the last 5 years. I don't charge for the summer months because I enjoy that time off with my family. I follow the school calendar and that way I am off when school is out. I am fortunate that I have families that have never asked me to keep their kids when they are not working! I expect payment every week during the school year including holiday weeks. So if there are 42 weeks of school then that is how many weeks they will pay. I do put back a portion of my money every week so I will have income during the summer. It is definitely worth it if you can make it work. Best of luck.
blessed mom 09:28 PM 11-09-2013
Originally Posted by Tucker:
I take only teachers kids and I love it! It has worked well for me for the last 5 years. I don't charge for the summer months because I enjoy that time off with my family. I follow the school calendar and that way I am off when school is out. I am fortunate that I have families that have never asked me to keep their kids when they are not working! I expect payment every week during the school year including holiday weeks. So if there are 42 weeks of school then that is how many weeks they will pay. I do put back a portion of my money every week so I will have income during the summer. It is definitely worth it if you can make it work. Best of luck.
That's a dream situation!!!
blessed mom 09:29 PM 11-09-2013
My new policy is that teachers will pay full rate during the two week breaks and half rate during the summer to hold their place. If they need to bring the child for whatever reason they will pay the day rate. If they don't want to pay me then if I haven't filled the spot they can come back in the fall.
Rachel 04:48 AM 11-10-2013
If I thought I could get a whole group of teachers, I would probably give them a slight discount, but not make them pay during the summer (ie: up my monthly rate for the other months). It would be worth it for the time off. Since I can't do that, I charge the same year round and the kids are here winter spring summer & fall...
snbauser 06:02 AM 11-10-2013
I cater to school employees. I follow our school calendar. We basically have 3 different types of days where kids are off - holidays, annual leave days, and teacher workdays - in addition to the summer. I am closed and paid for all days marked as "holidays" on the school calendar including both Thurs and Fri for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Years Eve and Day. When school is closed for annual leave days, I do not get paid but I'd rather be closed with my kids. The only days I am open that my own kids are open are teacher workdays because obviously, the school employees have to work. Last summer I was open Mon-Wed for shortened days (7:30-4). They could attend or not but had to pay for those 3 days in order to hold their spot for full time for the fall. Not sure what I am doing this summer. I'm considering doing 4 days (Mon-Thurs) for June and August and closing for July. I take 2 weeks unpaid in July and figure it will balance out if I take the other 2 weeks off. The only really I am considering this is one of my families works in administration for the school system and they work an 11 month schedule instead of a 10 but they work only work 4 days from the time school gets out until the end of June and from Aug 1st until school starts.
EchoMom 07:19 AM 11-10-2013
I used to give summer off free. But now I only take a couple teachers so I don't lose too much and the child must pay and attend for two days a week minimum to keep spot. I like that both for income but also so the kids stay familiar with being at daycare and their friends.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by ECEVA:
Any creative ideas for catering to parents who teach and have summers off? I have a middle school within 3 minutes of our new location and a few teachers have inquired. I would like to hold their spot but don't want to give up 8 weeks of revenue.
I too am only a few blocks from a middle school as well as an elementary school.

I give teachers 3 options for rates

This has worked great for me so far. It gives teacher parents the ability to use whatever plan works best for their family and their own financial situation.

There are a few more details that have to do with age etc but for the most part, the options available to them are pretty much what I listed above.
blessed mom 08:15 AM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I too am only a few blocks from a middle school as well as an elementary school.

• #1 Regular rates all year round WITH same perks as other families (credit for x amount of absent days etc)
  • #2 Higher rates for the school year with care ONLY available during the school year. The rate is the same yearly rate as anyone else, just divided by 8.5 months instead of 12 months. NO care available in the summer months.
  • #3 Regular rate during school year with NO free/credit days available. Pay a holding fee for the summer (50% of regular rate) to hold their space. If they want to use services in summer, they pay for it on top of the holding fee they already paid.

This has worked great for me so far. It gives teacher parents the ability to use whatever plan works best for their family and their own financial situation.

There are a few more details that have to do with age etc but for the most part, the options available to them are pretty much what I listed above.
I like this idea! Works for everyone and gives the options to the parents.
VTMom 08:21 AM 11-10-2013
I have a couple teachers' kids as well and I do not charge over the summer. I'm in a location where summer care is in high demand, so it's really easy to fill the spots. It works out for everyone (although having the summer off as a couple other posters have mentioned sounds amazing)!

If you thought this would work for you, you could always advertise for openings for summer care. Maybe have a condition that if you fill the summer slot, there'd be no charge?
jenn 11:38 AM 11-10-2013
I allow them to move to part time for the summer. For me, that means 3 days per week at $30 per day. They can send their child part time or pay the $90 per week to save their spot. If they do not pay to have their spot held, I advertise to fill it. At the end of the summer, if I still have the opening I will take them back. If the position has been filled, they have to look for a new place to go.
Crazy8 12:33 PM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
I used to give summer off free. But now I only take a couple teachers so I don't lose too much and the child must pay and attend for two days a week minimum to keep spot. I like that both for income but also so the kids stay familiar with being at daycare and their friends.
I do the same - you can pay for 2 days and not come but most like the idea of having days for appointments, or to take their older kids somewhere the younger ones can't go and the transition in Sept. is so much easier!!!

I used to fret about summers but now I wish I had all teachers so that I would get some days off during the summer!!
MamaBearCanada 12:59 PM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

• #1 Regular rates all year round WITH same perks as other families (credit for x amount of absent days etc)
  • #2 Higher rates for the school year with care ONLY available during the school year. The rate is the same yearly rate as anyone else, just divided by 8.5 months instead of 12 months. NO care available in the summer months.
  • #3 Regular rate during school year with NO free/credit days available. Pay a holding fee for the summer (50% of regular rate) to hold their space. If they want to use services in summer, they pay for it on top of the holding fee they already paid.

Just curious, does anyone choose option 2? It doesn't make sense to me when they could choose option 1 and have summer care for the same price. Am I missing something?
spinnymarie 02:15 PM 11-10-2013
I will be having teachers pay for 40 full weeks - so they pay for all holidays except for 2 weeks of Winter Break, 1 week of spring break, and 9 weeks of summer. Usually teachers want to start back in the classroom at the beginning of August here, so this includes care for august. They have a higher daily rate than full year folks, and they are NOT allowed to come when school is not in session.
This way, instead of losing 10 weeks of pay (fulltime pays for 50 full weeks), since they have a higher rate I only lose 8, plus they pay a holding fee, of about two weeks, so I lose 6 weeks of pay (plus a few holidays), but have a significantly lighter load during the summer
It's probably very similar to paying 50% over the summer, it just 'sounds' better to me So far I have only teachers enrolled!
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Just curious, does anyone choose option 2? It doesn't make sense to me when they could choose option 1 and have summer care for the same price. Am I missing something?
Yes, as a matter of fact two of my teacher families choose to use that option.

The teachers in my area can choose to be paid their yearly salary over the school year (no pay in summer) or over the year.

Depending on how the teacher is paid it works (or doesn't work for them.)

One of the two in my care that uses it doesn't get paid in the summer and the other one has other children who live in another town (with their dad) so the mom basically moves to that town for the summer time.

In all honesty, I don't try to understand the options () ...I just make sure they work for me and leave the choice up to the parents.

I've been surprised a couple times at which option a family chooses but regardless, it's on them so win-win for me.
Tags:parents - who teach
Reply Up