Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question about Timing of Christmas gifts
AcornMama 07:50 AM 12-13-2013
I'm pretty sure that in the grand scheme of things, this really doesn't matter at all. But in my constant pursuit of perfection (or maybe self-doubt)...

I'm debating when to give Christmas gifts to my dcks. We are having a small Christmas party on Wednesday next week, because that's the only day that all of my dcks will be here on the same day. For one dcg, that will be the last day I see her until after Christmas, so I will send her home with a gift. Thursday will be the last day for other dcg, and Friday for dcb. I'm trying to figure out if I should give gifts to all three on the same day, or on each child's last day of the week.

I'm not sure it matters. I just don't want it to look like I'm giving early, especially for dcb who will be here until Friday, as an attempt to give them time to get me something in return. I really don't expect anything from my families, and I don't want to create an awkward situation.

I also don't want to create a frustrating situation for the kids by one kid getting something, and one or two kids waiting until another day.

Thoughts?
Play Care 08:09 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
I'm pretty sure that in the grand scheme of things, this really doesn't matter at all. But in my constant pursuit of perfection (or maybe self-doubt)...

I'm debating when to give Christmas gifts to my dcks. We are having a small Christmas party on Wednesday next week, because that's the only day that all of my dcks will be here on the same day. For one dcg, that will be the last day I see her until after Christmas, so I will send her home with a gift. Thursday will be the last day for other dcg, and Friday for dcb. I'm trying to figure out if I should give gifts to all three on the same day, or on each child's last day of the week.

I'm not sure it matters. I just don't want it to look like I'm giving early, especially for dcb who will be here until Friday, as an attempt to give them time to get me something in return. I really don't expect anything from my families, and I don't want to create an awkward situation.

I also don't want to create a frustrating situation for the kids by one kid getting something, and one or two kids waiting until another day.

Thoughts?
What I've done in the past is to put the gift in their going home bag. When dcp pick up I let them know that they have something in the bag for the child. This way they open at home and I avoid any issues.
NeedaVaca 08:26 AM 12-13-2013
I give them on the child's last day but have them ready early in case I get a last minute notice that they are keeping them home earlier than I expected. I actually gave my first one yesterday and got my 1st gift! A nice bottle of wine! I have never received that from a DCP before and LOVE it
SilverSabre25 08:37 AM 12-13-2013
Thanks for reminding me to go to Half Price Books this weekend and get gifts for dcks.
butterfly 08:39 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I give them on the child's last day but have them ready early in case I get a last minute notice that they are keeping them home earlier than I expected. I actually gave my first one yesterday and got my 1st gift! A nice bottle of wine! I have never received that from a DCP before and LOVE it
me too. I just give them out as they are heading out the door. That way they open them at home and I don't have the other kids asking why they didn't get one or why their gift may be different, etc.
MyAngels 08:55 AM 12-13-2013
I always give them all at the same time. They open whatever I've given them here, and have an opportunity to play with it here, too. There are times when someone won't be here on whatever day I'm giving gifts, and in that case I send it home rather than having them open it here.
Soccermom 08:57 AM 12-13-2013
I do a Christmas party and show for all the DCFS. We do a few little songs and a little play. I have a table set up with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cookies we made with the kids and a video of pics I have taken throughout the year.

This year it is on Wednesday afternoon as that is the day I have most of my DCKS but the ones who don't normally come that day are still invited.

The kids made cards for their parents and I made them each a CD of pics.
We hand that out to the parents at the end and then I sit beside the Christmas tree and name all the DCKs to come over and get their gift. They don't open them, they just bring them home.

Anyone who is not here can come by and pick up their gifts on Friday before
5pm.
Maria2013 09:16 AM 12-13-2013
if I had a party (I don't) I would have it when all the kids can be present and I would give the gift then, even if the party is early
snbauser 09:45 AM 12-13-2013
I do it at our party on our last day of care. The kids all get their gifts during the party and open then at the same time. If I know a child won't be here I give them their gift early to open at home.
AcornMama 10:12 AM 12-13-2013
Thanks for the feedback. We'll have the party on Wednesday, but I'm just giving the dcks each a copy of the same book (a favorite read aloud), so there's no need to open it here and play with it. I'm leaning toward just sending it home quietly on each child's last day here, just not making a big production of it, since that will be on different days with different kids.

We'll be making stuff during our party to take home anyway, so it's not like anyone is going to go home empty handed.
AcornMama 10:13 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Thanks for reminding me to go to Half Price Books this weekend and get gifts for dcks.

You're welcome. I wish we had a Half Price books near us. Loved the one near us when we were in another state.
misslori50 08:39 AM 12-16-2013
we are having a little party Friday. i have asked one parent to bring her child that doesnt come that day. We will just play a game make ginger bread houses open gifts and do pizza and Christmas shaped jello
Crazy8 09:17 AM 12-16-2013
I give them their last day here - which will be either Friday or Monday this year. I just send them home with the child, they don't open them here.
Reply Up