Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Car Seats
midaycare 11:51 AM 12-02-2016
For dcf's that share cat seats and pickup responsibilities, what do you do when they want to leave them at your daycare? I have 2 infants right now and then when a grandma picks ups other dcks, I get huge bases

I don't want to ask them to spend an extra $200, but the kids and me trip over them. I can put them somewhere else, but honestly, it's a big fat pain. I'm always running to get someone's car seat when a parent comes and I have several other kids to watch. Not good. What do you guys do?
laundrymom 12:06 PM 12-02-2016
We require parent to bag them and leave on porch. I do not store car seats inside.
KSDC 12:09 PM 12-02-2016
I don't let them leave car seats here. They take up too much space and I do not want there to ever be any question of liability on me concerning their use of the seats.

I leave it up to the parents to figure out.
midaycare 12:12 PM 12-02-2016
I have to figure out a way to go from everyone bringing car seats here to no car seats here. I can't ask them to leave them outside when we have 3 feet of snow for 3 months. Sigh...
laundrymom 12:18 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have to figure out a way to go from everyone bringing car seats here to no car seats here. I can't ask them to leave them outside when we have 3 feet of snow for 3 months. Sigh...
All it takes is one bug crawling out of one to change your mind. Lol. Worst. Day. Ever.
LysesKids 12:23 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
All it takes is one bug crawling out of one to change your mind. Lol. Worst. Day. Ever.
Ditto... that and space/liability issues. I do infants only & all my parents make it work ( I have a written policy). My outside deck is our play area and I don't want to lose any of the space either
Leigh 01:00 PM 12-02-2016
For dcf's that share cat seats and pickup responsibilities, what do you do when they want to leave them at your daycare? I have 2 infants right now and then when a grandma picks ups other dcks, I get huge bases

I don't want to ask them to spend an extra $200, but the kids and me trip over them. I can put them somewhere else, but honestly, it's a big fat pain. I'm always running to get someone's car seat when a parent comes and I have several other kids to watch. Not good. What do you guys do?
They can buy a spare car seat at Walmart for $36. You know the REAL reason Grandma doesn't have one? She doesn't want to store it, so they're using YOU as a free storage locker. Just say no, that you won't accept them anymore, and that they'll have to trade off between drop off and pick up or purchase a second car seat.
jenboo 01:02 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
They can buy a spare car seat at Walmart for $36. You know the REAL reason Grandma doesn't have one? She doesn't want to store it, so they're using YOU as a free storage locker. Just say no, that you won't accept them anymore, and that they'll have to trade off between drop off and pick up or purchase a second car seat.

Our 3 spare convertible seat was $45 at Walmart.
midaycare 01:02 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
What?!?!?! What type of bug?
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by KSDC:
I don't let them leave car seats here. They take up too much space and I do not want there to ever be any question of liability on me concerning their use of the seats.

I leave it up to the parents to figure out.
This is what I do too.....I stay out of it and let the parent's figure it out. None of them so far has seemed to have an issue with it.

Most my families have car seats for all kids in both parents cars but one family just has one seat and when grandma picks up she just swings through mom's work and grabs the car seat or if mom knows ahead of time that grandma is picking up, mom will drop the seat at grandma's before mom heads to work.
Mom2Two 02:53 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:

I don't have space for car seats either. I do let the one family store on the front porch, but I probably shouldn't do that.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:53 PM 12-02-2016
You can buy spare bases for infant seats pretty cheap. We had one car seat and 3 bases with my infant seat (1 in my car, 1 in dad's care, 1 in grandma's car)... life was easier that way, and I paid a total of like $40 for the extra bases on an overstock website. When my oldest graduated from the infant seat we got a cheapo from Walmart for grandma's car (which actually turned out to have better safety ratings, and that is all we buy now). So don't feel bad asking them to figure it out, there are ways.
Unregistered 05:17 PM 12-02-2016
You don't need the base actually. If you have the carrier that can be used as the carseat without the base it just takes a little more work to belt in.
midaycare 06:46 PM 12-02-2016
Plan for next week: new policy. I still want to know what type of bug came out of a car seat
LysesKids 07:15 PM 12-02-2016
Plan for next week: new policy. I still want to know what type of bug came out of a car seat
I had roaches crawl out of one parents back in 2010 (same year my city in AR had a bad bed bug infestation in daycare centers); needless to say, no car seats and no extras came into my home after that unless it was a spare change of clothes in a plastic ziplock... nope not even lovies
midaycare 08:28 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I had roaches crawl out of one parents back in 2010 (same year my city in AR had a bad bed bug infestation in daycare centers); needless to say, no car seats and no extras came into my home after that unless it was a spare change of clothes in a plastic ziplock... nope not even lovies
Oh my word, I need a gagging emoji! I'm not on am area known for roaches, although I realize they can be anywhere. The thought of a roach in the carseat with a dck...just...nope, can't go there.

My first week in SC (lived there 1 year), I found a roach. Seven hits with a heavy shoe and the thing didn't even get dinged. Scurried away. Called the one friend I had made that week, panicked. "Aw sugar, that's just a Palmetto bug. That's what we call them down here. Everyone has an exterminator." I always thought I would love warm climates. Nope. Not for me. Bugs are one of the many reasons.
Pepperth 03:51 AM 12-04-2016
I've had them leave the carseat in my garage. My husband's side is open during the day and the garage faces the daycare parking area. Plus its separate from the daycare entrance, so I don't have to even see it. I haven't had anybody use it consistently though. Its only been a couple of times.
midaycare 11:34 AM 12-04-2016
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I've had them leave the carseat in my garage. My husband's side is open during the day and the garage faces the daycare parking area. Plus its separate from the daycare entrance, so I don't have to even see it. I haven't had anybody use it consistently though. Its only been a couple of times.
Not a bad idea.
Tags:car seats
Reply Up