Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Will You Look At My Schedule?
sahm2three 02:03 PM 11-14-2012
Here is my schedule, am I off somewhere or does it look ok?

~Breakfast 7:30 to 8:30 (kids that arrive before look at books or play quietish toys)
~Circle Time 8:30 to 9:00
~Babies nap from 8:30 to 9:30 or 10
~Kids 18 months and up who are awak during morning nap and I do a craft or project during the babies morning nap
~Snack time between 9:30 and 10
~From 10 to 11 we are either outside if the weather is decent or I get them started on centers or free play of some kind.
~At 11 we go to the dining room and kitchen area where they sit at the table and look at books while I have kids books on tape playing while I make lunch.
~11:30 to 12:30 is lunch. While they are winding down at lunch I read a few books and then I take plates away and they look at books again while I start putting kids down for nap.
~Between 2:30 and 3:00 the kids start waking all waking up (and I have cleaned the kitchen and gotten snack ready while running from sleeping area to sleeping area quieting kids back down who won't sleep.
~3:00 is snack time and the older kids start showing up from being at school. At this time we go back outside if weather permits or we go back to the daycare area. This is the time of day when I pretty much spend the rest of the day on the floor playing with the kids, taking turns snuggling kids, singing songs, etc. We do this until the last child is picked up at 5:15. If they start getting really restless, we will color or get one of our special bins out (play dough, cloud dough, sensory bins, etc)

Does it not sound like I spend enough time WITH the kids, like in physical contact? I really thought I was, but maybe I am not.
daycare 02:07 PM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Here is my schedule, am I off somewhere or does it look ok?

~Breakfast 7:30 to 8:30 (kids that arrive before look at books or play quietish toys)
~Circle Time 8:30 to 9:00
~Babies nap from 8:30 to 9:30 or 10
~Kids 18 months and up who are awak during morning nap and I do a craft or project during the babies morning nap
~Snack time between 9:30 and 10
~From 10 to 11 we are either outside if the weather is decent or I get them started on centers or free play of some kind.
~At 11 we go to the dining room and kitchen area where they sit at the table and look at books while I have kids books on tape playing while I make lunch.
~11:30 to 12:30 is lunch. While they are winding down at lunch I read a few books and then I take plates away and they look at books again while I start putting kids down for nap.
~Between 2:30 and 3:00 the kids start waking all waking up (and I have cleaned the kitchen and gotten snack ready while running from sleeping area to sleeping area quieting kids back down who won't sleep.
~3:00 is snack time and the older kids start showing up from being at school. At this time we go back outside if weather permits or we go back to the daycare area. This is the time of day when I pretty much spend the rest of the day on the floor playing with the kids, taking turns snuggling kids, singing songs, etc. We do this until the last child is picked up at 5:15. If they start getting really restless, we will color or get one of our special bins out (play dough, cloud dough, sensory bins, etc)

Does it not sound like I spend enough time WITH the kids, like in physical contact? I really thought I was, but maybe I am not.
sounds like you are all over it if you ask me.....

what do you do for your circle time???
Blackcat31 02:13 PM 11-14-2012
I think you are spending a good amount of time with them. Do you have themes or topics that you do each week?

Maybe doing exactly what you are doing but mixing it up will help. At circle time do you have the same conversation...weather, day of the week etc....?

Maybe have each child be the Circle time helper and let them lead the way
At snack time or meal time, have them help you in ways they are able to such as setting the table while you cook or counting out the number of cups or plates you need

During outside time, is there any kind of organized play or do they just play where they want? have you tried using a parachute? It is fantastic for teaching the kids cooperative play!

How about a game of follow the leader? Helps them learn to listen and follow directions. I am sure others have a ton more idea but that is just off teh top of my head.

I also noticed you have books out for transistion times and although I LOVE LOVE books and use them alot too, there are alot of fun ideas and ways to do transitions without simply putting books out.

A great resource is: http://www.preschool-plan-it.com/tra...ctivities.html and http://www.childcare-resource.com/transitions.htm

Both have some really cool ideas!
sahm2three 04:24 PM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
sounds like you are all over it if you ask me.....

what do you do for your circle time???
Circle time varies, depending on their moods. If they are really crazy and wild acting, we do shake our sillies out, maybe a couple other songs like the wheels on the bus and old macdonald had a farm. Then we the days of the week. We talk about the weather and sing the weather song(sometimes, I can tell if they aren't into it, most of them are 2 and 3). We do a stretching activity, kind of like simon says and I do a stretch move and ask them to follow. They love that one. Sometimes we end with follow the leader, and we take turns being the leader. I have tons of songs we sing, so a lot of times I ask what they want to sing. Anything else that would be good for this age that I am missing? OH, and another thing we do is I laminated shapes and put them out for each child to sit on. Then we talk about what the shape is, and other things that are that shape, and what colors they are and other things that might be that color. Any other advice there?
sahm2three 04:28 PM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think you are spending a good amount of time with them. Do you have themes or topics that you do each week?

Maybe doing exactly what you are doing but mixing it up will help. At circle time do you have the same conversation...weather, day of the week etc....?

Maybe have each child be the Circle time helper and let them lead the way
At snack time or meal time, have them help you in ways they are able to such as setting the table while you cook or counting out the number of cups or plates you need

During outside time, is there any kind of organized play or do they just play where they want? have you tried using a parachute? It is fantastic for teaching the kids cooperative play!

How about a game of follow the leader? Helps them learn to listen and follow directions. I am sure others have a ton more idea but that is just off teh top of my head.

I also noticed you have books out for transistion times and although I LOVE LOVE books and use them alot too, there are alot of fun ideas and ways to do transitions without simply putting books out.

A great resource is: http://www.preschool-plan-it.com/tra...ctivities.html and http://www.childcare-resource.com/transitions.htm

Both have some really cool ideas!
I don't really do themes, except for seasons and holidays and stuff. Or if we are working on colors or shapes, I work my themes around those things.

Outside time is most of the time a free for all. They all like doing different things, so I usually let them go for it. But if they are acting bored I will do an activity with them. We have a lot to do in my yard (sand box, swing set, trampoline, lots of outside toys). So I kind of go with the flow there.

My group loves books. Sometimes we do other things like coloring or playdough or mega blocks at this time. But most times they like the books. But I will definately check out the link you provided!

I guess that the reason why I don't understand why they would be craving more time with me is because I spend most of my time doing something with them. So when they do have free play, I wish I could just have a breather and they would play instead of trying to engage with me further. I love them all, they are great kids, but it is hard to be "on" all the time. Know what I mean?
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I guess that the reason why I don't understand why they would be craving more time with me is because I spend most of my time doing something with them. So when they do have free play, I wish I could just have a breather and they would play instead of trying to engage with me further. I love them all, they are great kids, but it is hard to be "on" all the time. Know what I mean?
Yes, that can be very draining and I can totally see why you want some downtime where they can play unassisted during the day.

How about if you got together some bins or totes of "special" toys and during the times where you just need a breather or a bit of time during the day without constantly guiding/interacting with the kids, you take those bin/totes and separate the kiddos into two small groups and allow them to explore and play with those toys.

I have a couple boxes that have some really fun toys in them and I don't allow the kids to use these toys on a regular basis....ONLY when I need to have a breather and/or when we have a guest such as my food program coordinator, licensor etc here.

I guess I can't tell you what to put in those bins/totes because it would depend on your current DCK's and their interests but having a few toys/activities that are RARELY used really helps to get them interested and off your leg for a while...

If they fight or argue over the toys, remove the child who is causing the issue and do not allow them to participate. Once you do that once or twice, they get it and understand that in order to play, they need to do so together and nicely.
Tags:schedule, schedule - examples
Reply Up