Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd
sahm2three 12:21 PM 10-20-2010
Ok, I have a dcb who has been out sick all week. Mom called today and said he is going to be out the rest of the week. Do I charge them for the week? In my policy I state that I do charge whether they are here or not, but I feel awful for it. Should I give them half off? Or do I just charge them the whole week?
kidkair 12:28 PM 10-20-2010
Stick to your policies and don't feel bad about it. It's not your fault the kid got sick so don't beat yourself up over it.
AfterSchoolMom 12:30 PM 10-20-2010
I'd stick to your policy, but if you're feeling like helping them out, you could take off one days' rate...
MommyMuffin 12:37 PM 10-20-2010
I would stick to your policy, if you have stuck to your policy in the past for a sick day the mom may even already know that she has to pay you and may not make a big deal about it. It is not about pity..put it this way, she must budget daycare money every month anyways...why should she keep an extra ___ amount this month because her child was sick.
DCMomOf3 12:39 PM 10-20-2010
I stick to my contract and my parents all understand. THat is part of the contract so you don't lose your income from curcumstances you can't forsee. If you don't charge now the next time it happens it will be harder for you to collect.
Live and Learn 01:06 PM 10-20-2010
QUINCY is absolutely right!
I am in this same situation right now feeling guilty (why I don't know) for a family who has been out for a week and a half and then brings junior still not 100% today. I don't run a charity daycare... this lil business buys the groceries around here.
busymomof2 01:16 PM 10-20-2010
I had that happen to me. It was only the 2nd week and the little girl was out all week. When the mom brought her back she acted like the whole week didn't happen. I felt bad because I was glad the little didn't come ill but I still charged her the entire week. She signed the contract!
Blackcat31 02:12 PM 10-20-2010
I agree with Quincy too! If you change rules now it'll become like poison ivy and spread, pretty soon everyone knows how bad you feel and you'll be the one in financial stress. Business is business. When's the last time your bank called and said "Hey, you didn't really drive your car much last month so we are giving you a discount on your payment." I wish!!! Stick to your guns. If parents love and appreciate you, they are willing to abide by your policies. After all, they do know them up front so you have nothing to feel bad about.
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:22 PM 10-20-2010
I would be afraid to give her the week free because next time he's sick just for one or two days, they might think they shouldn't have to pay you for those days either. Or anytime he's not there for a week (or even a day) for whatever reason, they'll think they shouldn't have to pay. Maybe look at it this way: Let's say you rent an apartment and pay monthly. And a family member gets sick so you go to stay with them for a week. Your landlord doesn't reduce your month's rent even though you weren't there for a whole week. The monthly rent amount is still the same.
Tags:charging, policy
Reply Up