Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Runny Noses and Coughs How Long Is Too Long?
Unregistered 10:07 AM 02-21-2018
I know and understand it's the time of year for runny noses and coughs. But how long do you let it go on before you suggest they see a doctor?

I have 9 out of 10 kids with constant runny noses and horrible coughs that started out dry but is turning wet sounding. Parents said they called the doctor's office and they said if they don't have a fever don't bother bringing them in. The youngest is 8 months old and he has had this nasty cough and runny nose for three weeks now.

My 11 month old's mom brought in Benadryl to give him which I won't. Poor boy would hardly eat today.

2 year old has nasty thick dark green snot and cough I think she has a sinus infection again.

I can't keep up with the runny noses and am starting to catch this nasty bug.

advice? Should I require they been seen and given a note to return to care.
storybookending 10:17 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know and understand it's the time of year for runny noses and coughs. But how long do you let it go on before you suggest they see a doctor?

I have 9 out of 10 kids with constant runny noses and horrible coughs that started out dry but is turning wet sounding. Parents said they called the doctor's office and they said if they don't have a fever don't bother bringing them in. The youngest is 8 months old and he has had this nasty cough and runny nose for three weeks now.

My 11 month old's mom brought in Benadryl to give him which I won't. Poor boy would hardly eat today.

2 year old has nasty thick dark green snot and cough I think she has a sinus infection again.

I don’t ever require doctors notes because doctors just write them so easily. I feel in a lot of cases, like the ones you describe above a doctors note won’t do you much good. Sure they’ll take them in but all the doctor is *probably* going to say is that it is just a lingering cold so long as there are no other symptoms such a a fever.

I would be sending the 11 month old home. I imagine if he’s hardly eating he is also cranky and tired and would do much better getting some rest at home. If mom feels he requires meds to make it through that day outside of life saving medication or seasonal allergy meds he should probably be at home.

The nasty snot I might exclude for depending on the age of the child and if they are able to wipe/blow their nose themselves.

I have a child that had literally had a runny nose since she was 2 weeks old. It runs clear so doctors aren’t concerned but man I can’t wait until he is just a bit older and can take care of it himself!
Josiegirl 10:28 AM 02-21-2018
Some are going on to 3 weeks here. It's been taking awhile to clear out.
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I require a stay (24 hours min) at home to rest after 5 continuous days of a cough and/or runny nose OR a doctor visit to verify the symptoms have not morphed into something worse. Parents choose which option but I rinse and repeat so after another 5 consecutive days of symptoms (if they aren't getting better).

I continue to do that ^^^ until child is better or until Spring.

As for medications, if a child requires medication to ease symptoms or "make it through" the day I would exclude them from care. I do NOT and will NOT medicate a child.

I also have written in my policies that ANY symptoms that require more supervision than I am able to provide WHILE maintaining the same level of supervision and a sanitary environment for others will be reason to exclude. So a 5 yr old with a runny nose would more than likely not be excluded like a 15 month old that has the same runny nose but lacks the ability to manage most of it on their own.

I never require a doctor's note for re-admittance as that is my call since I have a group of kids to be concerned about and the Dr is usually only concerned about giving the parent a note to get them out of their office. I do require a doctor's note for diagnosis sometimes but I have a form for that that I provide myself.

I also have a reminder letter I send out to parent at the beginning of the cold/flu season outlining my expectations and exclusion policies. I refuse to play the blame game as to where an illness originated and I refuse to make exceptions for sick kids just because their parent might have no PTO left or at all as I require all families to have a reliable back up provider for those times in which their child is exclude from care.

I don't take illnesses (even mild) lightly and won't let parents do so on my watch either.
Pandaluver21 12:00 PM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I also have a reminder letter I send out to parent at the beginning of the cold/flu season outlining my expectations and exclusion policies. I refuse to play the blame game as to where an illness originated and I refuse to make exceptions for sick kids just because their parent might have no PTO left or at all as I require all families to have a reliable back up provider for those times in which their child is exclude from care.

I don't take illnesses (even mild) lightly and won't let parents do so on my watch either.
Would you be willing to share that reminder?
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Would you be willing to share that reminder?
Absolutely!

Dear Daycare Parents;

This is the time of year that common colds, respiratory illnesses and other winter time ailments seem to occur rather frequently. In order to prevent the continuous cycling of these illnesses, I would like to take a moment to reiterate my illness policies.

I will keep the child care environment clean, sanitized and free of germs to the best of my ability. However, in order to be as diligent as possible in eliminating continuous back and forth sharing, it is extremely important that you do your part as a parent.

When your child is feeling ill, I FULLY expect you to be proactive in doing whatever is necessary to help your child overcome their illness and be as healthy as possible. This includes keeping them home if they are not feeling well enough to participate, providing a regular bedtime allowing for adequate rest as well as eating healthy meals/snacks and keeping the on-the-go weekends to a minimum.

Should your child exhibit any of the signs or symptoms of illness while in daycare, I will notify you immediately. You will be expected to have your child picked up within 30 minutes. If you are unable to leave work, you will need to have a reliable back up provider that is able to come for your child.

If your child is not picked up within the 30 minutes of allotted time, you will be charged a late fee
of $1 per minute. Please use your best judgment when deciding if your child is well enough to attend care.

Please understand that what may seem like minor symptoms at home are increased 10 fold when in a group of other loud rambunctious children.

Also keep in mind that should your child be sent home from care, they must remain home for 48 hours AFTER symptoms reside without the use of any medications or fever reducers. Choosing to keep your child home on your own requires the standard exclusion of 24 hours symptom free.

Being part of a group childcare means doing what is best for the group as a whole. Please be considerate of this.

I fully understand that some illnesses are not preventable and I do sympathize with you when you need to take a day off to be with your child. However, when illnesses are continually passed back and forth the average amount of time off per parent is approximately 4-5 days versus having to take only one day when proactive in regards to illness.

I also want to remind everyone that I will NOT play the blame game when trying to pinpoint where an illness orginated. ALL parents work in the public sector and there are so many different ways to get and carry illnesses and germs that blaming one person is simply not acceptable or logical in anyway.

Attached is a copy of my illness policy. Please remember this policy was discussed in depth and agreed to by both parties upon enrollment. Thank you!

HappyEverAfter 01:22 PM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Absolutely!

Dear Daycare Parents;

This is the time of year that common colds, respiratory illnesses and other winter time ailments seem to occur rather frequently. In order to prevent the continuous cycling of these illnesses, I would like to take a moment to reiterate my illness policies.

I will keep the child care environment clean, sanitized and free of germs to the best of my ability. However, in order to be as diligent as possible in eliminating continuous back and forth sharing, it is extremely important that you do your part as a parent.

When your child is feeling ill, I FULLY expect you to be proactive in doing whatever is necessary to help your child overcome their illness and be as healthy as possible. This includes keeping them home if they are not feeling well enough to participate, providing a regular bedtime allowing for adequate rest as well as eating healthy meals/snacks and keeping the on-the-go weekends to a minimum.

Should your child exhibit any of the signs or symptoms of illness while in daycare, I will notify you immediately. You will be expected to have your child picked up within 30 minutes. If you are unable to leave work, you will need to have a reliable back up provider that is able to come for your child.

If your child is not picked up within the 30 minutes of allotted time, you will be charged a late fee
of $1 per minute. Please use your best judgment when deciding if your child is well enough to attend care.

Please understand that what may seem like minor symptoms at home are increased 10 fold when in a group of other loud rambunctious children.

Also keep in mind that should your child be sent home from care, they must remain home for 48 hours AFTER symptoms reside without the use of any medications or fever reducers. Choosing to keep your child home on your own requires the standard exclusion of 24 hours symptom free.

Being part of a group childcare means doing what is best for the group as a whole. Please be considerate of this.

I fully understand that some illnesses are not preventable and I do sympathize with you when you need to take a day off to be with your child. However, when illnesses are continually passed back and forth the average amount of time off per parent is approximately 4-5 days versus having to take only one day when proactive in regards to illness.

I also want to remind everyone that I will NOT play the blame game when trying to pinpoint where an illness orginated. ALL parents work in the public sector and there are so many different ways to get and carry illnesses and germs that blaming one person is simply not acceptable or logical in anyway.

Attached is a copy of my illness policy. Please remember this policy was discussed in depth and agreed to by both parties upon enrollment. Thank you!
Thanks for sharing! I was just telling one of my dcm how I wanted to do something like this for next cold/flu season! We were laughing about how another dcm said her daughter had the flu but it wasn’t contagious since it was a mild case. Personally I’m unfamiliar with the non contagious flu, but either way, dcg isnt welcome with the flu!
BrynleeJean 02:33 PM 02-23-2018
I've done the note thing just at my discretion when i though ew its been long enough of this, and they may come back with an okay but maybe next week the kid looks a little worse or a lot worse and i felt like id look like a jerk to insist they take their kid AGAIN when i just had them get an okay the week before but we all know it could turn from nothing to something real fast.

id say have a consistent sick policy on it, maybe update them now, maybe that says or shows pics, if your child is lethargic, doesn't wanna participate in the days activities, had green boogers, a cough more than occasional, things like that just to add then they should be coming and id also put in there because I've heard it from others but haven't done it yet, "if you bring your child in with any of these sick symptoms into the childcare home that will be grounds for immediate termination"
because its just disrespectful to put you and your family and the other kids at risk, they need back up care for this reason.
id also put "if 'drug n drop' (tylenoled for fever in the morning before fever then dropped at daycare) is suspected that would also be grounds for immediate termination"
because also, disrespectful to provider and their family and the children in care.
GOOD LUCK!
Tags:illness policy, policies, policy, sick policy
Reply Up