Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher's Schedule
Momof2Boys 09:24 AM 05-18-2010
Hello!

I had a lady contact me about watching her daughter (15 months old in August) Monday-Friday 7:00am-3:00pm. This works out perfect because the little girl I'm watching now turns 2 on August. Anywyay, she will be working as a teacher at a school only a half a mile from my house. This obviously means she will have a teacher's schedule..a lot of holidays off, two weeks off during Christmas, and the entire summer off.

Do any of you care for teachers' children? How do you do your rates for this? She wants to know if I would be flexible with school holidays. I would ask for $150 a week. Should I ask for the same even if there is a school holiday in that week? And what about for the two week Christmas break and all summer long? Do you charge them to hold their spots during these times? If so, how much?

Thanks everyone!
Melissa
momma2girls 09:34 AM 05-18-2010
I do teacher's children, and I charge the same whether they are here or not. I also do a 2 week dep. during the summer to hold that spot, til they return in the Fall.
mac60 10:38 AM 05-18-2010
I am interviewing tomorrow night for a teachers child. I am charging her $85 per week, full time. I charge whether you are here or not, vacations, holidays, sick days included. For summer break, I will treat the same as my maternity/sick leave policy....which is 1/2 rate, and child can continue to come 2 days per week. A spot = money which is my income. I can't hold spots for free. Maybe she won't like what I will offer, but if not, she can go to the daycare center and pay $120 per week for an infant.

Teachers tick me off. Speaking from where I am from....they have excellent working conditions, rarely work a 8 hour day, get every fricken holiday off you can think of paid, get 3 days off at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, Spring break, and it is all paid for by my tax dollars. They have their own state employee retirement, excellent insurance, paid time off, and the benefits go on and on. So no, they don't get special treatment for being a teacher. They will have to pay just like everyone else. Didn't mean to get grumpy here. But our own school system has went thru the "poor me" with the teachers.....they have it made big time here.
momofboys 05:40 PM 05-18-2010
I don't think a teacher should get special treatment b/c of the holidays/summer break. But I guess it depends on your situation & what you are looking for. Those are AWESOME hours by the way! I'd grab that in a heartbeat! I do care for a teacher's family & she does not teach in my town so my hours are quite a bit more extended than yours would be. When I started providing care though I was thrilled to bring in some $$$ & was not concerned about not bringing in cash over the holidays/breaks. This is my policy with her but I'm fine with it b/c I want the extra time with my kids. Maybe you could work with her to pay half rate on weeks she is on Christmas break/summer time. I would make her pay you for general holidays though.

Mac60, no offense but teachers have to work hard too & they do deserve their breaks off. They have to continue to go to school to be qualified to teach & in many instances (I have two sisters who teach) they have to pay for the tuition on their own. They also in many cases bring paperwork home each night to grade or write up lesson plans so their day at school may be done but they may still have to work 1-2 hrs at home. I'm not disagreeing with you that they have it pretty good in terms of holidays off/summer break/insurance , etc but I think if anyone deserves it it is teachers who in my opinion are underpaid for the important job they do. Just my two cents I do agree with you that they shouldn't get special treatment regarding pay just b/c they are a teacher. Can't argue with that at all!
Former Teacher 06:30 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Mac60, no offense but teachers have to work hard too & they do deserve their breaks off. They have to continue to go to school to be qualified to teach & in many instances (I have two sisters who teach) they have to pay for the tuition on their own. They also in many cases bring paperwork home each night to grade or write up lesson plans so their day at school may be done but they may still have to work 1-2 hrs at home. I'm not disagreeing with you that they have it pretty good in terms of holidays off/summer break/insurance , etc but I think if anyone deserves it it is teachers who in my opinion are underpaid for the important job they do. Just my two cents I do agree with you that they shouldn't get special treatment regarding pay just b/c they are a teacher. Can't argue with that at all!
I agree too
QualiTcare 07:01 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I agree too
me three.

if they had it so great, everyone would be teaching.
Momma in MT. 08:21 PM 05-18-2010
WOW!!!

I was a teacher for 10 years and I am now doing daycare to stay home with my own kids. As for a teachers daily schedule I would think daycare providers would be a little more understanding. I worked at least 8 hrs a day with no lunch (had to eat with the kids in the cafeteria) rarely a brake during recess (had duty at least 1 of 2 recesses a day). I was only at school from the time I had to arrive to the time I was allowed to leave. Never came early or stayed late unless I was required to. WHICH was a lot. Staff meetings, IEP meeting that lasted until after 5. Parent nights at least 2 times a month where I had to come back from 5 to 8. Extra duties that required things such as supervising sporting events etc. This was all lumped in under "extra duties as assigned". I was paid an average of $0.25 cents per kid per hour. What do you make an hour per kid????

One other thing, I went to college for many years to get my degree to be able to have such a job. Maybe you should go to college and get your teaching degree instead of complaining about how good teachers have it. I am still paying back my $40k in students loans.

Now, would I change any of it. NO!!! I love teaching and plan on going back to it when my kids get to be school age. Having been on both sides (teacher and daycare provider) I do not charge teachers when their kids are not there. For that matter I don't charge anybody when their kids are not at daycare. I run with the philosophy to always be kinder than necessary. So far I have had great luck with this. I have not had one single problem. The parents respect me and what I do. I always have a waiting list and I am able to pick and choose who I take. Teachers are usually one of my first picks. They are educated, older, and have a steady decent paying job. (decent is used loosely) They are responsible and their kids are usually some of the best behaved well mannered kids I work with.

Cut people a little slack it is worth it in the long run. I do charge everybody a deposit equal to 5 days of care. That is my safety net. I want to keep the good ones. I don't want to run them off by charging them for work I do not do.
QualiTcare 08:50 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by Momma in MT.:
WOW!!!

I was a teacher for 10 years and I am now doing daycare to stay home with my own kids. As for a teachers daily schedule I would think daycare providers would be a little more understanding. I worked at least 8 hrs a day with no lunch (had to eat with the kids in the cafeteria) rarely a brake during recess (had duty at least 1 of 2 recesses a day). I was only at school from the time I had to arrive to the time I was allowed to leave. Never came early or stayed late unless I was required to. WHICH was a lot. Staff meetings, IEP meeting that lasted until after 5. Parent nights at least 2 times a month where I had to come back from 5 to 8. Extra duties that required things such as supervising sporting events etc. This was all lumped in under "extra duties as assigned". I was paid an average of $0.25 cents per kid per hour. What do you make an hour per kid????

One other thing, I went to college for many years to get my degree to be able to have such a job. Maybe you should go to college and get your teaching degree instead of complaining about how good teachers have it. I am still paying back my $40k in students loans.

Now, would I change any of it. NO!!! I love teaching and plan on going back to it when my kids get to be school age. Having been on both sides (teacher and daycare provider) I do not charge teachers when their kids are not there. For that matter I don't charge anybody when their kids are not at daycare. I run with the philosophy to always be kinder than necessary. So far I have had great luck with this. I have not had one single problem. The parents respect me and what I do. I always have a waiting list and I am able to pick and choose who I take. Teachers are usually one of my first picks. They are educated, older, and have a steady decent paying job. (decent is used loosely) They are responsible and their kids are usually some of the best behaved well mannered kids I work with.

Cut people a little slack it is worth it in the long run. I do charge everybody a deposit equal to 5 days of care. That is my safety net. I want to keep the good ones. I don't want to run them off by charging them for work I do not do.
amen. like i said, if teaching is so great - everyone would be doing it.

oh, wait, not everyone can.
emosks 05:47 AM 05-19-2010
We do not have any teachers but we do have one parent that works for a college and she gets a lot of time off over the holidays. She gets the same as everyone else. One week of vacation and the rest is half pay.

If we did have a teacher we have a holding policy that is $100 a month for the summer.

And I can't believe that anyone would think teachers have it easy! My SIL is up to all hours of the night grading papers and projects. Works throughout the summer in her room and continuing education. Just like DCPs...our day doesn't end when the kids go home.
Tags:schedule
Reply Up